Aftermarket IRs

I use the Ownhammer Mesa V32 for a lot of my mid-high to high gain presets. Also together with the now free of charge aomDSP (also on the Ownhammer website), you can create mixes between the different mic placements or IR-capturing techniques in that package.

I've been playing with the Comet lately and after going through all the V30 cabs in the AxeFX II I came up with two that worked reasonably well. I was interested to see if I could dial things in a bit better so I just picked up the Ownhammer Mesa V32.

However, what I'm really curious to see is if I can leverage the variations in Ownhammer's IR's to compensate for differences in my guitars. I've played my PRS 513 exclusively for the last few months and I'd like to add my P90 and PAF based guitars into the mix. These guitars are not as bright and of course the mids differ. While I realized that using GEQ / PEQ would be the normal solution, I'm wondering if a quick IR change would also be effective.

Has anyone experimented with this approach?

Terry.

Honestly, changing IRs changes the entire character of the tone so much that it adds another variable into the mix and overcomplicates this process.

IMO, GEQs in the chain before ANYTHING ELSE is the best way to compensate for differences in the guitar tone.

This is what I end up doing. I pick my main guitar and get a nice tone I like. Next, I turn EVERYTHING(amps, cabs, effects, drives etc) off in the signal chain and put a looper with my main guitar playing a riff in the chain BEFORE amps/cabs etc. Next, put a GEQ right BEFORE the looper(so the looper doesn't get affected by it) and plug in the guitar I want to alter. Next I play back the looper and jam on the new guitar back and forth. Adjust GEQ until the sound of my new guitar matches that of the looper as closely as possible.

I got an EMG loaded guitar matching the sound of my Duncan Blackout loaded guitar pretty damn closely.

Honestly, changing IRs changes the entire character of the tone so much that it adds another variable into the mix and overcomplicates this process.

To clarify, my though was to select an IR of the same speaker where the mic placement had simply been moved by an inch (for example) in the required direction.

This is what I end up doing. I pick my main guitar and get a nice tone I like. Next, I turn EVERYTHING(amps, cabs, effects, drives etc) off in the signal chain and put a looper with my main guitar playing a riff in the chain BEFORE amps/cabs etc. Next, put a GEQ right BEFORE the looper(so the looper doesn't get affected by it) and plug in the guitar I want to alter. Next I play back the looper and jam on the new guitar back and forth. Adjust GEQ until the sound of my new guitar matches that of the looper as closely as possible.

I like your methodology. Well done.

I'm a bit torn btw, as to whether it's better to EQ away the differences, or to simply build a preset from the ground up. I want the character of each instrument to be evident. A simple PEQ (or IR change) addressing the relative brightness differences, along with some gain compensation, may be all that I need. (But then again, I've pulled things off topic! :-|)

Thanks.

Terry.

I use the Ownhammer Mesa V32 for a lot of my mid-high to high gain presets. Also together with the now free of charge aomDSP (also on the Ownhammer website), you can create mixes between the different mic placements or IR-capturing techniques in that package.

Hi, a question dude, is aomDSP standalone or need a DAW?
Any advice to use aomDSP is welcome.
Thanks.

What happened to the OH ir's by the way? I took the kickstarter bundle and at the time I was under the impression that after the initial testing and finetuning the different packages were gonna come pretty quickly? I've got the two that's available but it's been very quiet for some time now?

Skickat från min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'd like to know what you think of the Ownhammer Mesa V32. Worth the $25?

Being somewhat of a, "IR junkie"... Yes. Definitely worth the $25.00 (FWIW): OH IR's are ripe for the picking. Having never been too fussed on the V-30 speaker as a whole in the real world or the digital, these have changed my tune toward that speaker... not to mention the quality/time Kevin has put into how the IR's sound as a whole.

What happened to the OH ir's by the way? I took the kickstarter bundle and at the time I was under the impression that after the initial testing and finetuning the different packages were gonna come pretty quickly? I've got the two that's available but it's been very quiet for some time now?

Kevin is moving along with them. Here's his Facebook page with some updated info there and made a reference for the "jumpstarters" on a June 25th post.

https://www.facebook.com/ownhammer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom