After switching off and on, all presets are bypassed

Miguel Braz

Hello Axe-FX Companions,

I just bought a second hand Axe-FX standard. Everything was fine at demo and also when i arrived home and connected for the first time to my Hot Rod amp. Then i built my 1st preset, stored it and moved to another preset. When i returned to what i just did, i could not hear anything. Switched the unit off and on, then all presets were bypassed, only hear clean guitar sound.
Did a parameter reset in utility menu and presents sounded correct again. I felt quite happy, but when switched off/on again, problem showed again, only clean sound, new reset.... Any idea how to overcome this ?
Thanks so much.
Miguel

Thank you for the precious help vick1000.
Battery was changed in Feb 2016... how much time they run?
I also found that any editing i do in a preset and store it under same name/location, it's lost if i change to any other preset and return to edited one. Same reason ?
Cheers.

Hmmm. Battery should be good then, but I would test it with a multimeter if you have one.

Try a firmware reflash, and retore factory presets? The only other thing I can think of is the flash memory is bad and not accepting writes aymore, but that's unlikely.

Thanks so much for the hints.
No multimeter, just ordered new battery, i can test in a week.
What a frustration with this purchase... It worked first time i powered it, but after second restart, problem is showing. At demo site, some presents were mute or not working, perhaps this was a sign of the disease.
To reflash firmware i need a midi interface, right? I just ordered a focusrite with midi IN / Out hope it works with the Axe-FX
Cheers
Miguel

I really dout you will actually need to reflash the firmware. It sounds pretty much like a dead battery, but it is so strange.

If you edit a preset, save it, move to another one and then get back, is everything normal?

After editing and storing the preset, if i move to next and back to the edited, changes are not stored.
When i power on unit, it's like if it was in bypass mode, no presets sounding, Then, i make a factory reset and presets are available.

A factory reset has nothing to do with the presets. At all.

Moreover if you don't turn off the machine the presets should be there after saving them.

Yes, i understand factory reset only reloads global and I/O parameters, but if I store a preset after edition and move to other preset and go back to saved one, all changes are lost, it doesn't keep the editing...
Thanks for the hints.

Yes, i do store + OK, OK again to confirm.
Also discovered that layout structure and preset name is saved, but individual parameters within each effect (such as level, mix, etc) are not stored.
After power off and on, it goes to bypass mode until i do a system parameters reset to activate the presets.
I hope that battery replacement solves otherwise i'll try to reflash firmware, otherwise.... send to G66 for servicing, ouch.

That should do the trick, if not, contact support, that is the fastest way to solve an issue.
There is a lot of misinformation, sometimes. The support here is FAST and reliable,
even with the old Ultra.

I already contacted european support and news were not good, probably a motherboard issue with a replacement cost superior to the value i payed for the standard, on top, they inform not having all the spare parts as it's a discontinued model... i love the sounds of the axe-fx but unfortunately i made a bad purchase on this one. Perhaps contacting support in USA they can identify the problem. Thanks for the hint.

Before you give up, if the battery does not work, make sure to reflash the firmware and presets, it may just be a software glitch. If a reflash and new battery does not work, it's probably a memory problem, where it's simply not accepting writes anymore. That's why they say the motherboard would need replacing, since the memory is surface mounted to the mobo.

Thanks Vick for your kind support. Yes I will try those steps, if fail I will try to use the axe-edit to store the presets in a PC and load them when needed, perhaps it can work that way.
Cheers

Hi again.
Well, battery was replaced, midi interface installed.
Reflashing firmware was not succesful as after downloading the firmware file to Axe Fx, it keeps saying "Erasing..." forever.
With Axe Edit, i can load all presets to the unit, however when switched off, despite presets still there, individual settings of each preset are not correct. Attempting to save to flash memory, says "Programming error".
Conclusion: I have to load the presets through axe edit each time i want to use them, also new presets can be saved on the PC hard disk and loaded as needed.
Thank you all for the useful hints and kind support.

Back
Top Bottom