After a couple months, I posted up a review

Definitely appreciate your honesty! I thought the conclusion was going to end differently with all the nice things you said in the paragraphs before :)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, you're point of view comes from way out in left field in my perspective. Not even from the same planet as most Axe FX II users that live by their tone and frequent this forum. Axe users don't want to 'just buy an amp'. They want to choose from the myriad of amps offered in the Axe II. It is not about the interface and touch screens and whatever it is that lights your bulb. It is about the tone that the device can deliver. My two laptops and two DAW PCs are indispensable in their own right, but they could never replace my Axe II. The Axe II is a single purpose device and designed as such. People that think a PC or tablet or a Smart phone can do all things incomparably well are the same folks that have convinced the world that MP3s provide a quality listening experience. Sorry to rant. If Fractal products aren't for you no problem. But I find the premise in your review conclusion ridiculous.

I have to agree with Rosse here.

The fact is your conclusion does not give a very great view from a guitar player's perspective. But rather from a perspective of a person that loves technology. This isn't the Iphone or Ipad or whatever "Hipster" based technology keeps coming out every 6 months. The point of the Axe FxII is to give great tones for guitar players,to replicate a tube amp properly or even do a better job than an analog rig with its firmware upgrades and routing capabilities. It delivers to the promise and that's what it does.

I and many other guitar players on this forum are satisfied with what it is.

We like the the size personally and the knobs and their functionality. Not everything should be touch technology,the point is. Are you getting excellent tone? If yes then great,can you make up your dream rig with the Fractal? If again yes then great.

If you bought for any other reason,then well good luck man you won't find any other reason for it.

This is the best invention that has come out in years. And with all its power still it keeps improving. So does it matter if there are more powerful devices in terms of the chips and space being produced currently.

The point is how stellar is this product and it is extremely stellar for what it does. So why expect it to be anything else :)

It's totally fine if its not your thing.

monkeymanx blog said:
I know this review may seem harsh towards the Axe FX II but that is the reality for me. This is what I believe to be true. I think products like the Axe FX II may be less useful as tablets get more powerful and the modeling software suites expand on those devices. The iPad already has low latency audio with interfaces that you can plug your guitar right into. This would be even more portable and convenient than a laptop in my opinion making it a very attractive and affordable option. Editing patches on old rack units is not a pleasure for me. I do not miss my Digitech 2101. I don’t want to edit patches using the front of the Axe FX II or the POD HD. I want something more intuitive like a good sized touch interface. To me, these rack units are not forward thinking. At the end of the day, if you want something simple and effective, just buy an amp but if you want to dive into the world of technology, there are better pools than that of the Fractal Audio offering.

Everyone has an opinion and I'm fine with that. I am curious though. Why start your first blog with this type of review? Why post a link to it here?

I appreciate the viewpoint. My experience, though probably not nearly as comprehensive as the OP's, led me to the complete opposite conclusion, specifically with respect to live performance rigs. I would like to see an itemization of essential items and the costs associated with a computer based system for live performance. IMO this is quite pertinent given his conclusion. I'm not trying to question the veracity of his statements, but am truly curious as to what he feels is necessary for an apples-to-apples comparison.

I amended my conclusion. I'm actually keeping the Axe. Obviously, the most important thing is if you are happy with it or not and I do enjoy playing my guitar through this unit. I guess I'm just not into editing patches the old way anymore. I've been spoiled by the computer interface and how easy it is to work with. The rack front panel is sort of "old school" to me. Having said that, I do edit all my patches via Axe Edit and am happy with Axe edit.

I'm really not sure if my opinion is that left fieldish. People create synth guitar tones with this unit after all... As far as tones go, I usually don't use to many. The more amp tones I use the less I get done. Too much fiddling. That was one of the great things when I had the Orange Dark Terror for recording. It had a couple knobs and a couple great tones. All the tones needed to get the job done. I do see where having a bunch of tones would be awesome for a cover band but maybe not so much for having one signature sound for a original band.

I bought it for guitar and bass tones. It does that. I'm happy. I'm not crazy enough to suggest that the Axe is "the best invention that has come out in years". That is nuts. But as far as stand alone guitar processing, it is the best that has come out in years.

Like I stated, all my opinion. I like technology. I like playing instruments. I like recording. I like playing live. etc... I also need to buy Quad E shoes, life is weird.

Jimfist, I figure the cost would be about even, maybe a bit less on the laptop side depending on interface. There are a lot of options that can get you there and prices vary.

I posted a link because this is the review forum for the Axe FX II. It doesn't say what kind of review.

I do understand when somebody criticizes something you like, you may feel the need to defend it. I do that too sometimes.

I believe I have tried almost every software-based modeler out there (PC and Mac). They all sound like shit compared to my Ultra. All of them. Like shit. Compared to the Ultra.

I would be thrilled if a software-based modeler could exceed the quality of the Axe. But it just ain't the case. Perhaps one day...but not today.

I would like to add that my tube setup sounds better than my Ultra, so don't think that I'm defending the Ultra against all. Software modelers just don't cut it with the current technology.

Amplitube 3 is pretty damn good. The Axe brings a smile to my face when I plug in... A couple of the software modelers do that too. I think Amplitube is probably the best of the lot for over all sound, they just don't have enough rack style FX in there.

I posted a link because this is the review forum for the Axe FX II. It doesn't say what kind of review.

I do understand when somebody criticizes something you like, you may feel the need to defend it. I do that too sometimes.

In this case, perhaps I did feel a bit on the defensive. But honestly it was because I felt that your review didn't have much if any merit and seemed odd that it was your first blog. On the other hand I liked some of your SC stuff. \m/

In this case, perhaps I did feel a bit on the defensive. But honestly it was because I felt that your review didn't have much if any merit and seemed odd that it was your first blog. On the other hand I liked some of your SC stuff. \m/

Thanks.

As far as it being the first thing, that is the first thing I had planned on doing. I wanted to eventually review some of the other gear I have too. The Axe is the newest piece for me and I think it is one of those things that should be reviewed from the "just some guy" point of view. There is definitely a reason I'm keeping it. I'm used to recording the old way. I record my guitars wet and don't care about re amping. I feel like your tone and FX are part of the performance and feeling.

Hey, at least I didn't do a "blind" test review using a you tube video with clips having an Axe FX II vs POD HD showdown and then have it turn out to both be the POD HD LOL!!! I couldn't anyway, I sold the POD...

All tone issues aside (and those are big issues, IMO), if you think a laptop is equivalent to the Axe-FX in terms of onstage reliability and general roadworthiness... well, good luck with that.

I am NEVER taking a laptop onstage again, for any purpose.

I amended this to the end:

I’m definitely keeping my Axe FX II because I enjoy playing my guitar and bass through it and even though the computer based modelers are close and get the job done, the Axe FX II is still the best sounding modeling and FX solution to me.

That is how I feel. I still think the computer based modelers are damn good though and can be used for a live solution. After all, isn't the Axe really just a specialized computer?

Any gear can go at any time. I still remember when I blew a power transformer in my Marshall 9200 power amp... Luckily it is a dual mono block set up. That was part of my old rack rig which probably weighed more than both my 4x12 cabs together LOL!!!

We used a rackmount computer (and a backup) with no problems.

I liked Revalver much more than Amplitube 3. Still, no match for the Ultra or a real amp.

I never got a chance to use my Roland TD-20 live trigger stuff. It was always easier just to play acoustics. Although, trigger fart noises would probably enhance the crowd response.

I tried Revalver and liked Amplitube better. Also like TH1/TH2 better than Revalver.

I definitely like the real amp for recording. The lunch box style heads are awesome with a good 1x12 but still very loud. It is odd, 7 watts doesn't seem like it would be loud, but it is really really loud. Recording a real amp has a novelty factor, much like recording real drums versus using triggering or just programming drums. Makes your tracks feel more rootsy if that makes any sense.

I decided to post up a review at my site for the Axe FX II. It is really an awesome unit with a lot of flexibility and great sound. My review takes it from a different view point though. Mainly, the pros and cons of the Axe versus other solutions. Obviously just all my opinions.

Fractal Audio Axe FX II Review
I currently am looking to trade a Yamaha Motif XS8 keyboard thats in mint condition. It sounds like you possibly dont need the Axe Fx if your looking for a fantastic keyboard maybe you would consider this trade. Also I paid $3500.00 for this keyboard from Sweetwater and it has only a few hours of usage on it.

Back
Top Bottom