After 5 yrs - back to Fractal, how are the Drive Pedals now?

I had the Axe FX II, the pedals were not so good.

How are they now - comparable to stand alone Fuzz's, Overdrive & Dist. pedals? Thx

How are they now - comparable to stand alone Fuzz's, Overdrive & Dist. pedals? Thx
Real life pedals usually can’t be programmed to have different recallable settings or have their parameters controlled in real time. So practically it’s not even a contest.

And we have the Kilo Lima Oscar November now……….. 😉

I'd say they're OK... You're not getting a killer fuzz from a modeler. Especially the cleanup. The drive pedals are good. DS1, TS808, etc. All sound as they should. My favorite is the new Griddle Cake...

Besides a number of cool new drive types, there have been some improvements to the modeling algorithms that specifically improve drive blocks.

Short version is that you should try a current Fractal device and make up your own mind!

I think the dirt and compressor pedal models are just ok. Frankly I think the pedal models in the Helix and Kemper are better, Everything else is pretty amazing. I just use external pedals and I am good to go.

The distortion/overdrive models that are based on op amp/clipping diode circuits (e.g. Tube Screamer, Rat, Bluesbreaker, Klon, DS-1, Timmy) are incredible and indistinguishable from their hardware counterparts as far as I can tell. I've done a number of A/B tests with my own pedals and couldn't hear the difference after tweaking the knob positions. It's so good that I sold off all of my overlapping overdrive pedals. I'm not as happy with the fuzz models, either in the diversity of fuzz types or the detail/reality compared to my collection of fuzz pedals. In fairness to Fractal, at least some of that is due to the static input impedance of a modeler versus the dynamic input impedance of certain fuzz circuits. The relative lack of popularity of fuzz models vs everything else that the Axe does might also play a role—why expend resources overhauling a feature that isn't heavily used when you can focus on others that are heavily used? Anyway, if you're like most people and mostly use overdrive/distortion circuits, you'll love the current generation of drive models.

I think the dirt and compressor pedal models are just ok. Frankly I think the pedal models in the Helix and Kemper are better, Everything else is pretty amazing. I just use external pedals and I am good to go.
In what way? More accurate? Subjectively better sounding? I'm not challenging, genuinely curious.

The distortion/overdrive models that are based on op amp/clipping diode circuits (e.g. Tube Screamer, Rat, Bluesbreaker, Klon, DS-1, Timmy) are incredible and indistinguishable from their hardware counterparts as far as I can tell. I've done a number of A/B tests with my own pedals and couldn't hear the difference after tweaking the knob positions. It's so good that I sold off all of my overlapping overdrive pedals. I'm not as happy with the fuzz models, either in the diversity of fuzz types or the detail/reality compared to my collection of fuzz pedals. In fairness to Fractal, at least some of that is due to the static input impedance of a modeler versus the dynamic input impedance of certain fuzz circuits. The relative lack of popularity of fuzz models vs everything else that the Axe does might also play a role—why expend resources overhauling a feature that isn't heavily used when you can focus on others that are heavily used? Anyway, if you're like most people and mostly use overdrive/distortion circuits, you'll love the current generation of drive models.
If you put your drive as the first "object" on the grid on the same line as the "Input" (see the attached pictures; first picture Fuzz Face drive "On" and second picture drive "Off") and set the input impedance to "Auto" the impedance will be autmatically set to match the "load" from the drive. Some Fuzz pedals and also the treble booster (and possibly other pedals) do this.
1669619052577.png1669619141644.png

They sound great, but I don't love the selection of drive pedals. We don't need this many TS variants. Bass-oriented drive pedals are few. There's some gaps in the classics, a Nobels ODR-1 based pedal for example is not on the menu. Not a whole lot of modern drive pedals on the list. While many drive pedals are just variants and tweaks of each other, it's nice if you don't have to build them yourself using the advanced settings.

I still prefer what Line6 do on the Helix for drive pedals. They operate very much like the real deal, different modes and all. Jumping from your favorite drive pedal to its digital counterpart is pretty straightforward. Fractal is not quite so easy as some modes on specific drive pedals have to be replicated by another model and you have to "just know" which ones or trawl the Wiki for that knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom