After 10 years, updated TV

The thing I don't understand about modern TVs despite almost all TVs on the market being smart TVs, streaming boxes and devices like Roku ect are being pushed like crazy. Who's the target market for these? People with 1080p or 4k TV usually have all sorts of smart TV features on their current devices. I'd prefer it if we had high end displays with zero smart features so we can just add them later if we so choose.

Maybe because just like smartphones or operating systems, or Axe-FX's ;), your smart TV won't be forever supported by the manufacturer. At some point its just no longer profitable to do so when they could make more money selling you a new TV instead. And when that happens do you want it to go online for all that smart TV stuff when it no longer gets any updates to protect it? Traditional TV's could be used indefinitely until they broke down. Smart TV's have a far shorter shelf life. By using the accessories instead you can continue to use your old abandonware TV until it breaks down or they come with some new super USB or whatever system that you can no longer hook up. And even then probably there will some conversion plugs.

Personally I prefer my main home appliances to be as dumb as a brick. Don't give me TV's, showers, fridges that think. If I want anything smart to happen I'll hook up a smart device to it instead.

Back
Top Bottom