AfexFX crashed everything flash-based

Womac911

Inspired
Since the latest update, everything Flash-based crashed - ONLY - when the AxeFX is powered on.

Strangely, Firefox and Flash wanted to update either the same, or next day, that I updated the Axe.

As soon as I turn on the Axe, everything Flash becomes useless. Turn it off, all works again.

Youtube = completely busted.

In Chrome, the video plays, but no audio, if the Axe is powered up.

Any ideas?

Reinstall the driver? Something isn't right and it probably doesn't have anything to do with Fractal here.

your computer is probably switching to the axe fx as a primary audio output when you turn it on causing your flash to lock up. restore your soundcard as default device if that is the case

Yes, that is what happens. I shut down Firefox, power the Axe, and the reload Firefox so it sees the Axe as the sound card. This way, I can use the studio monitors instead of the regular PC speakers. Worked fine up till everything updated itself.
Will try reinstalling the drivers.

[Edit]

Reinstalled drivers. Everything working again so far.

Reactions: ang
Not sure if related, but I had problems with viewing some embedded youtube vids with Firefox v25.0 on Mac OS10.9 (Mavericks) .... I installed the FF v26 beta and that bug is fixed. I believe version 25 has Flash related issues too - you can get the 'Update Flash Plugin' message via FF yet Flash is up to date.

Chrome is fast becoming my first choice in browsers - it uses the same amount of memory (RAM) as FF but it uses it much more efficiently and is a much faster page load.

Correction - not fixed.

To add.. every time I try to use my recording software, the AxeFX driver is unavailable... "Being used to another program" it says.

Ok.. every time I reinstall the driver, stuff starts to work again. Then fails to work later. Not just Flash-based stuff, it looks like... but anything that migth use the Axe as the soundcard. Such as my recording software...

Windows XP.

Woma, Are you checking to make sure when things start acting up, that your system didn't switch the sound-card device to something other than the Axe II?

Woma, Are you checking to make sure when things start acting up, that your system didn't switch the sound-card device to something other than the Axe II?

Yep, made sure of that.

Seems to be that reinstallign the driver will make *something* work, untill the point that the program is shurt down. Attempting to use the program again, or use another program, results in a failure. Like the Axe is not being "released"

Trying to use Adobe Audition, I get the followign when it occurs:

"The currently selected audio driver is not available. Another application may be using the same driver ot the device may not be properly connected and powered. You can select a new driver using the Audio Hardware Setup option"

If I reinstall the driver, Audition will work again. After a while, nothing works.

I reinstalled the driver earlier, ran a test and it worked. Came back a few hours later, not working.

Nothing has changed on my system in the last two weeks except for updating the Axe FW, AE, the Firefox update, and Flash update.

have you checked your system log file? Specifically the Admin Events, see if anything weird is happening there? It is pretty odd though I must admit, hopefully it get's resolved. Not sure if a system restore or even a whole system reinstall would be something you might consider if you don't get an answer soon?

I have been thinking about it though away from the forum, nothing is striking me on what it could be. Though I am the type that sometimes needs to have a system in front of me to play around with to notice any issues. If I think of anything I let you know. Good luck.

You can only allocate you "sound card" to one program. If your using windows media, or connected to the net (both are counted as one device I believe as their system programs) before you turn on your recording software, the recording software wont work as your soundcard is allocated to the media player/internet. Similarly if you initiate your recording software first the net/media player wont work.

I get round this, by allocating the PCs soundcard as the output for system programs (media player/internet), then allocate the AFX as the soundcard for the recording software. That way there never trying to use the same card. I then run both outputs (ie from the PCs outs and the AFX outs) to a mixer with my studio monitors connected to that as the O/P - so whatever program I use, and whatever soundcard that program uses, the sound always comes from my monitors.

Ohh C'mon dude, kill XP, that is your problem.

Nic! Hey man, XP is still a great OS. Much better than Vista, for sure. I have another HDD than runs Win7, but it's a bit slow on this machine, and migrating all the biz stuff over to Win7 will be a major hassle.

That's all bullshit. I'm using XP32, I have Axe as default sound device, and I have none of these problems. I listen to shit via WMP, I watch youtube (IE8 ).....all work.....I think even if I have one paused and switch to the other.

But, it could be your mobo.

I use XP - so much better than anything else from a stability pov. W7 at a push but 9 is awful..

Anyway as I said (kind of) - The issue is the DAW. As I said, it wants to Hog your sound card, so nothing else will play sound IF you DAW is already opened - and your DAW will give you the "soundcard in use" message if anything else that uses the card is open before you open your DAW. Had the same issue with both Reaper and PTLE.

I did NOT say you couldnt have multiple "system" programs running via the soundcard at the same time. WMP/internet etc will work at the same time, and so will anything played via the AFX as that IS the soundcard.

If you get the "message" when opening your DAW - close it again and turn off anything else that plays sound then re-start your DAW .... it will work. If you want to use anything EXCEPT your DAW then you have to shut that down first. The alternative is as I suggested, and allocate them different cards - ie allocate the AFX to the DAY and your PC soundcard for everything else then mix them before you OPs get to your monitors.

Back
Top Bottom