af3 to iPhone

Hello All,

I have ordered the Apple Camera adapter. I am a little fuzzy on the setup of this... here is what I think it would be... Please correct me where I am incorrect.

Can Axe Edit used while recording? With one USB cable my thought is no. What would be needed for this to be possible?

Basic setup of Recording Video on Iphone with the audio only from the Axe Fx III ---- USB out of the Axe Fx III into the adapter USB --> Lighting bolt into Iphone

Addl MIC setup Recording Video on Iphone with the audio from the Axe Fx III plus microphone ---- USB out of the Axe Fx III into the adapter USB --> Lighting bolt into Iphone.... The mic setup would be Mic---> Input 2 of Axe Fx III fed by mic preamp ( Focusrite 2i4 Interface in my case) routing both AxeFx & Mic to same output.

Let me know if you have any other cool tips.Thanks

I have also noticed that if i place a stereo delay where the repeats are panned with the same volume (Brian May guitar solo) the first repeat has the right volume whilst the second has lower volume

Anyway does any of you have the link of where to buy the genuine apple product?

Thanks
Here are a few links. I think places like Target/Best Buy sell only the apple versions and not the knock off's where on Amazon it's a crap shoot unless it specifically says it's from Apple. Although I found a link that also say's it's from Apple on Amazon. The charging vs no charging is just what it says. With the charging versions, you can plug an extra cable in to power the iPhone/iPad if needed.

No Charger:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter-white/7006933.p?skuId=7006933

Charging Version:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
https://www.target.com/p/apple-lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter-3-8in/-/A-50887876

Amazon product ASIN B01F7KJDIM

Got my cable.. Everything is good. Having the camera open and set to video before inserting thunderbolt cable is a real thing... Outside of that.. Pretty cool.. Nice video with nice sound...

I will try to set up the mic into Axe Fx III and see how that works.. Post back later.

This doesn’t work for me. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I bought the official Apple lightning to USB camera adapter that was recommended here. I have an iPhone7. I plug into the USB on my AxeFx2. I launch the camera on my iPhone and set it to video. Finally I plug the adapter into my iPhone.

I’m not getting a direct signal from the AxeFx2. I still get a normal recording from the iPhone’s microphone.

Are there other settings I need to make in the AxeFx2 to send a signal to the USB port?
....or other settings needed in the iPhone?

Thanks In advance for any help!

This doesn’t work for me. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I bought the official Apple lightning to USB camera adapter that was recommended here. I have an iPhone7. I plug into the USB on my AxeFx2. I launch the camera on my iPhone and set it to video. Finally I plug the adapter into my iPhone.

I’m not getting a direct signal from the AxeFx2. I still get a normal recording from the iPhone’s microphone.

Are there other settings I need to make in the AxeFx2 to send a signal to the USB port?
....or other settings needed in the iPhone?

Thanks In advance for any help!
This thread was about the axe 3, maybe the axe 2 is not a class compliant device?

EDIT: it is a class compliant device but unlike the axe 3 it still requires a firmware installed on the os, so it won't work on ios/android since Fractal provides it only for win and mac.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB#Axe-Fx_II

Last edited:
Bringing up an old thread because I'm trying to record video with my iphone but get a direct sound via AxeFx3. I have logic and am able to record, then sync and output a video but it's sort of cumbersome, especially when I'm trying to deliver daily EVH riffs to my buddies. We're all still in mourning.

The camera chord that was posted doesn't make sense to me because I'm not using a camera. I'm using the Iphone as the camera. So wouldn't a regular Thunderbolt/USB adapter work? I don't have anything to plug into the camera port. Or is the chord itself necessary because it's built to accept the high quality sound coming from the Ax3 and convert it directly?

Bringing up an old thread because I'm trying to record video with my iphone but get a direct sound via AxeFx3. I have logic and am able to record, then sync and output a video but it's sort of cumbersome, especially when I'm trying to deliver daily EVH riffs to my buddies. We're all still in mourning.

The camera chord that was posted doesn't make sense to me because I'm not using a camera. I'm using the Iphone as the camera. So wouldn't a regular Thunderbolt/USB adapter work? I don't have anything to plug into the camera port. Or is the chord itself necessary because it's built to accept the high quality sound coming from the Ax3 and convert it directly?

I don't have the technical answer as to the why. But can speak from experience and state that it won't work unless the camera kit is used.

I thought that Apple just uses "Camera adapter" name for this dongle since it is the only use case for such conversion within their product family. But as other noted, some of non-Apple adapters may not work properly.

See my earlier post... It's what you want:
Buy the dongle from Apple. Others may or may not work.

I have one that works great on one iPad, but will not work on my other iPad or my phone.

Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter Amazon product ASIN B014VGHG0U

I have purchased "apple" products such as headphones and cables from Amazon that were supposed to be genuine and they clearly were not the real thing. If I need something like this I would hit BestBuy, Walmart or some retail store where you can trust and physically see that it's legit.

I have purchased "apple" products such as headphones and cables from Amazon that were supposed to be genuine and they clearly were not the real thing. If I need something like this I would hit BestBuy, Walmart or some retail store where you can trust and physically see that it's legit.
The item I ordered and posted above IS an Apple product and it works with multiple iPads and iPhone. So if you're looking for one, it's trustworthy.

I previously bought a non-Apple cable and could not figure out why it worked with some of my iOS devices and not others.

The item I ordered and posted above IS an Apple product and it works with multiple iPads and iPhone. So if you're looking for one, it's trustworthy.

I previously bought a non-Apple cable and could not figure out why it worked with some of my iOS devices and not others.
That's fine, I'm just saying Amazon doesn't monitor that well... and they will still list the seller as Apple, as I believe mine did. Maybe they let multiple sources fulfill orders I don't know, but I will never bother expecting the name brand again. Many reviewers had said the same thing... I buy only apple chargers and headphones, off brands never seem to last as well and can be finicky.

Exactly. Yesterday I started a series of 1m mini video clips on my social pages, nothing fancy, no Multicam / logic / final cut madness, just a quick phone clip for ig and fb, but it would be cool if I could use the direct audio from the af3 vs the sound coming out from the monitors!
I was doing some search, and apparently, as long as you connect the usb device AFTER launching the camera and selecting video camera, it should work. If you have the chance to test it for me real quick, I'd be very grateful!
It works that way with my iPad - you have to connect after starting the camera app.

See my earlier post... It's what you want:

I have an apple Lightening to USB in my Mac case that I bought when I purchased the Mac. The 'camera' thing is throwing me off. I'll grab it and give it a try.

edit: I see the word 'camera' on the end of the adapter in the picture. Maybe I'll get lucky and have the same. If not, it's a click away for $29 bucks. Thanks!

You can also connect a microphone to the Axe-Fx III for live streaming.
AND, you can use the guitar sound as the sidechain source for a compressor on the mic so that you don't hear the strings while playing!

Is there anything this blackbox can NOT do? Yesterday at late late night recording session i asked him “can you make me some coffee....” believe it or not, he did, try🤣🤣🤪😊

The cable came today and that certainly does the trick. I may need a preset specifically for recording this way. The reverb is dry compared to my FRFR monitors. There's no room to add the ambience I normally hear. Probably need a little bit more of everything. But it was very simple to use. Go to your camera app, plug in the chord, record. Easy. I may be clipping though. I can't tell. I say that because the distortion doesn't sound as smooth as it should.

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but as an A/V professional I’m trying to wrap my head around why anyone would want to use 4K for an iDevice recording — or anything above 720P, for that matter. A waste of bandwidth/space for little (if any) visible improvement for the vast majority of users.

4K was/is a way to keep consumers buying new displays, because “it’s more K’s, innit?”

If it’s picture quality you seek then contrast ratio wins over pixels every time.

Back
Top Bottom