af3 to iPhone

edo

Power User
Vendor
I've been trying to figure out a way to record the af3 audio directly into iPhone while filming video clips. Would the camera kit connected between the af3 usb and iPhone be enough? Or does it require some sort of dedicated external audio interface like an irig duo or similar? Has anybody tried this with success yet?

Any chance you could point me in the right direction on this product? Using an Iphone 11 & this is interesting.
Any other setup chain info would be great...
I found this... would it work?

Amazon product ASIN B07W92Q529

I have the official Apple version that looks identical to this but costs a lot more. Just be careful with the knock off's as they may not be recognized by the iPhone/iPad. Or they work for a while and then after the next iOS update they quit working. I have had this happen many times using the non-Apple charging cables. But they were not mission critical and cheap enough that if I got 6 months use out of them then no worries.

That being said, I use the Apple version with my iPhone 11 / iPad and Axe-Fx III and it works fine. You can also plug a lightening cable into the adapter to allow for charging the device while using it.

I've been trying to figure out a way to record the af3 audio directly into iPhone while filming video clips. Would the camera kit connected between the af3 usb and iPhone be enough? Or does it require some sort of dedicated external audio interface like an irig duo or similar? Has anybody tried this with success yet?
If you can be more specific on how you would like to use this, I can test it and let you know. Are you asking if you have the AF3 connected to iPhone and then record Video with iPhone if it uses the audio from the AF3?

If you can be more specific on how you would like to use this, I can test it and let you know. Are you asking if you have the AF3 connected to iPhone and then record Video with iPhone if it uses the audio from the AF3?

Exactly. Yesterday I started a series of 1m mini video clips on my social pages, nothing fancy, no Multicam / logic / final cut madness, just a quick phone clip for ig and fb, but it would be cool if I could use the direct audio from the af3 vs the sound coming out from the monitors!
I was doing some search, and apparently, as long as you connect the usb device AFTER launching the camera and selecting video camera, it should work. If you have the chance to test it for me real quick, I'd be very grateful!

I have the official Apple version that looks identical to this but costs a lot more. Just be careful with the knock off's as they may not be recognized by the iPhone/iPad. Or they work for a while and then after the next iOS update they quit working. I have had this happen many times using the non-Apple charging cables.
+1 to this - I bought a cheapy on Amazon and it didn't work at all. I requested a RA to send it back for a refund and the company just refunded my money - they didn't even want it back. Next time I would spend the extra and get the Apple one.

Exactly. Yesterday I started a series of 1m mini video clips on my social pages, nothing fancy, no Multicam / logic / final cut madness, just a quick phone clip for ig and fb, but it would be cool if I could use the direct audio from the af3 vs the sound coming out from the monitors!
I was doing some search, and apparently, as long as you connect the usb device AFTER launching the camera and selecting video camera, it should work. If you have the chance to test it for me real quick, I'd be very grateful!
I tried it on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad. It works as described. You have to start the Camera app and then switch to video, then plug it in. The only issue I had on my iPhone is that the higher the video quality the more audible pops/clicks I get. If I lower the video recording quality to 720 30 FPS, it seemed fine. As I upped to 1080 or 4k and 30/60 FPS, there were a lot of pops/clicks. Axe-Fx USB buffer is set to 256 (max).

On the iPad (last years cheapest model whatever that is) it works fine with no pops/clicks. But of course the video quality isn't as good. I will have to search around and see if there are any settings that might help the pops I'm hearing on the iPhone.

Edit: Tried with an iPhone 8 Plus at 4k/60fps. No pops or clicks. So maybe something is up with my iPhone. In summary, it should work for what you want to do. But as I just experienced, pops/clicks may occur depending on device used. I'll have to google and see if there is a known issue on the 11.

I tried it on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad. It works as described. You have to start the Camera app and then switch to video, then plug it in. The only issue I had on my iPhone is that the higher the video quality the more audible pops/clicks I get. If I lower the video recording quality to 720 30 FPS, it seemed fine. As I upped to 1080 or 4k and 30/60 FPS, there were a lot of pops/clicks. Axe-Fx USB buffer is set to 256 (max).

On the iPad (last years cheapest model whatever that is) it works fine with no pops/clicks. But of course the video quality isn't as good. I will have to search around and see if there are any settings that might help the pops I'm hearing on the iPhone.

Edit: Tried with an iPhone 8 Plus at 4k/60fps. No pops or clicks. So maybe something is up with my iPhone. In summary, it should work for what you want to do. But as I just experienced, pops/clicks may occur depending on device used. I'll have to google and see if there is a known issue on the 11.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful and kind. I'm still on iPhone XR, so I'll do some search on my end as well, but before that, I have some amazon affair to take care of!

Maybe it's a bit OT but, for those who might be wondering, it's also possible to record the axe fx with an Android device, you just need an OTG cable.

Use a Behringer Xenyx 502 USB Mixer. Make sure it's the USB model.
  • USB A Cable (printer cable)
  • Camera Adapter dongle from Apple. Depends on your model, but USB to Lightning works with my iPhone 8 and later models.
  • XLR cable from AxeFX to Mixer

1) Plug USB cable into Dongle, other end into mixer
2) Plug dongle (w/ cable) into iPhone3) Use whatever app you're trying to record/film with
3) AxeFX XLR cable into Mixer
4) Adjust level settings on mixer. whatever is being sent to the Main L/R stereo outs will be the audio sent to the phone.
5) Start and hit record on whatever app you're planning to film/record with
6) Play

Any class compliant USB Audio Interface will work with an iPhone and the USB camera connection kit as long as it is properly powered. If the interface is bus powered, some will draw too much current to be powered by a mobile device.

I have used a Focusrite Scarlett desktop interface with external power numerous times, for example.

There are a large number of specialty interfaces that have a lightning interface/cable included, also. I have used: iRig HD 2, Line 6 Sonic Port, Meloaduio TS Mini, and Apogee Jam+ all with success in the past.

You can also connect a microphone to the Axe-Fx III for live streaming.
AND, you can use the guitar sound as the sidechain source for a compressor on the mic so that you don't hear the strings while playing!

You can also connect a microphone to the Axe-Fx III for live streaming.
AND, you can use the guitar sound as the sidechain source for a compressor on the mic so that you don't hear the strings while playing!
Genius idea! Will be giving this a try later.

Btw, I just posted on ig and fb my first iPhone clip using a 16€ non Apple camera kit connection and it worked flawlessly (except for when the camera goes in standby you have to unplug it and relaunch the camera)! This is the most thrilling piece of gear after the af3 I got in the last couple years! Lol

I have one of these dodgy ones and works perfectly for 1 minute then my ipad says is not an official item and gets to the ambient camera.

I guess the only option we have is buying the official one if we want to do a longer video:(

I have also noticed that if i place a stereo delay where the repeats are panned with the same volume (Brian May guitar solo) the first repeat has the right volume whilst the second has lower volume

Anyway does any of you have the link of where to buy the genuine apple product?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom