AF2+ P&W Advice?

stm113

Power User
Hay guys, it looks i am going to have the opportunity to perform with the praise and worship band at my church. It's one of those churches that the worship experience is a pretty big production and I'm looking forward to using my AF2 in this environment. I was hoping to get some advice from you on here that's been doing this a while. I know that it's trendy to play boutique guitars in this kind of thing or at very least a Tele, neither of which do I have or am interested in getting. I'll probably use one of my LP's or and LTD 1000 Deluxe, all of which have passive p/u's. What I am looking for advice on is:

1-What amp models work well in this context?
2-What cab models (preferably stock) are good ones to use?
3-What pedal blocks are good to use here, delay types, drive types etc.
4-Any advice on settings?
5-Dont have enough time to get custom fit in ears, (they provide the wireless IEM packs) what's a good earbud to get in the meantime around $100?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My go to amps for PW are the Shiva Clean; DC30; Boutique (Chieftain) and the Morgan AC20. Find factory presets (the lower numbered ones) based on those amps to find a good cabinet match. I really like the SDD Preamp and FAS Boost drives for low drive. The Xotic AC and BB Pre drives are good for more drive. The Deluxe Mind Guy delay is awesome.

I'll probably use one of my LP's or and LTD 1000 Deluxe, all of which have passive p/u's. What I am looking for advice on is:

Jason has been doing this stuff much longer than I and we have similar church experiences. The guitar shouldn't make TOO big of a difference, you just have to get familiar with how your LP will interact with the Vox, Bogner, Matchless, DrZ and JVM amp model types. Here are some examples of my presets:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ambient-quantum-dr-z-38-strymon-cloud-reverb-style.105770/
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/matchless-chieftan-quantum-tone-ambient.104569/

There are about 8-4,682 different ways to approach it. For me I look for deep reverbs that can sustain clean tones with a delay trail. Preset building will become second nature once you get used to Axe-Edit or the green screen grid.

Hope you enjoy, we're here to help mate!

If you plan on doing this go forward a great resource (paid unfortunately) is Worshipartistry.com. I forget what I pay monthly, sometimes churches have subscriptions for their musicians to use. One of my churches did, but I wanted my own in case I ever left, so I bought my own. Any way he discusses the tone which is helpful for you to get close. He uses a Vox Ac30, so he mainly talks about how much overdrive and what kind of delay. THe reality is I can and do figure this stuff own my own, for as long as I have been doing this, but when you play at some church every weekend, anything that can cut the time down, is a beautiful thing. I have switched to the AX8 lately for playing out, but I still have a lot of church presets on my AXE XL. I have been playing churches since '94, and have gone through a lot of different styles over the years, seems like they are in a dotted 8th trend at the moment. It does get old.

Worship Artistry at $8/month is worth every penny.

I've used my Axe-Fx in church and similar venues for a long time now. My amps have changed a lot (partly due to upgrades). Current basic five patches - four are based on the Carol-Ann Tucana. My "pretty" solo patch is Komet Concorde. I am loving these!

Prior I have used these amps with great joy and results: SF Twin for cleans, Marshall JTM for light crunch, Marshall 100W Plexi Jump for heavy crunch (hit an OD for lead if you wish), Mark Mark IIC+ for the "pretty" solo tone, and Friedman BE for solo.

All patches have an optional OD that comes in handy. Xotic RCB and FAS Boost get used a lot. But I find the Axe-Fx does not require an OD to get great tones. My former modelers always required a mix of amp and OD.

So many great options. I just switched to the Carol-Ann Tucana after reading Cliff's comments in the Wiki, starting with one patch. It sort of spread to four.

I'm a Strat player - Melancon and some custom Warmoth stuff.

Worship Artistry is great for learning tones, never been too crazy about their tones.

Anyway, I post a good bit of PW related stuff, been playing in churches for longer than I want to admit as well as plenty of time recording and gigging outside of that world. I play in a pretty amazing church in Houston. Here's a little vid of one of our easter services...i'm the bearded guy by the drums.

Anyway, there's no one "right" way to do it. Most of the big guys (Droff, Kunde, Duke, Bethel, Elevation) play boutique AC30 variants or AC30's. Multiple cd's. Strymon, you get it. Someone above mentioned using different amps for drive tones but that's not my preference, I don't want different tones, I want different colors of my basic tones...hence drives. That's also why those guys pedals. It's just different flavors. Going from a Matchless to a Marshall to a Boogie and back all in a song is very jarring to my ears, and often hard on FOH.

Someone posted the link to my post where I did breakdown of my basic template, you may find that useful. I keep things as simple as possible to maintain consistency between songs since I have a different preset with scenes for each song.

I'll post my patch you can check it out. It's got all the good stuff, delays, ambience, shimmer, etc. If I can remember which one it was

I'm not the norm. I have been steering away from the whole U2 - ethereal sounds for worship and writing.

5153 Red, Angle Severe, Rectos . Anything lite I roll back the volume and chirp a little and roll up a little more for bluesy tones and full on robot for solos. I use atomic clr for onstage monitor. I hate inear

I'm a big Morgan AC20 fan, although I never knew what it was until I got my AFX. Basically I use the AC-20 EF86 T model with cab #60, and turn the gain until it just goes over a decent breakup, then I roll back my guitar volume (LP) and get the most pristine cleans. I hardly need a drive pedal as my guitar volume works perfectly to get me from clean to a beautiful lead sound.
I use the Deluxe Mind Guy delay with a little reverb, and also am a big fan of the Multi Delay or Pitch for ambience effects; I normally bounce between the 2 depending on what type of sound I want.

I don't go for typical Church tones either I don't used tons of verb and though I used delay it is not a lot either. I mainly use a AC-20 dlx and a Triptik but I my AC sounds are not like everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom