AF2 Ares amp block gain?

edo

Power User
Vendor
After messing around with Ares on the af2, it sounds like amp models have way more gain than previous fw - my edge of breakup vox's and fender's all sound beyond edge of breakup now. Just curious if that's how it's meant to be or if it's still part of the beta phase. I haven't played with 3.01 on the af3 yet, but I'm pretty sure on 2.5 same settings on af3 and af2 10.01 had the same amount of gain. Anybody else's thoughts?

Last edited:
sorry, after spending a few minutes playing with ares on af2 I changed my question in the op.

Not only the AC30. The Vibrato AB has more gain too as have several other models. They seem to have become more bass heavy too. I’m sure Cliff will look into that before releasing the final firmware.

Even more??

Yes, as @edo pointed out as well, I think too much for the AC30 model.

I also tried the Ares beta on my Axe-Fx II using only effects into my real AC30 and I also noticed that the amp. was being pushed more than it was on 10.01, with effects only. From my understanding, the Ares beta update, only affected amp. models, so I'm not sure why the difference.

I have an AX8 that I use for effects only, into my AC30, with the same presets. It's still has 10.01, so I am going to A/B the two with my AC30. That should help me determine if there is a difference.

Yes, as @edo

I also tried the Ares beta on my Axe-Fx II using only effects into my real AC30 and I also noticed that the amp. was being pushed more than it was on 10.01, with effects only. From my understanding, the Ares beta update, only affected amp. models, so I'm not sure why the difference.

If you experience more gain going into a real amp without amp sim, evidently the gain increase happens somewhere else (eg at the input or at the output?). If you still have ares installed, try a null chain (shunts only from I to O), connect the guitar into axe into amp and a/b it with guitar into amp only and let us know!

If you experience more gain going into a real amp without amp sim, evidently the gain increase happens somewhere else (eg at the input or at the output?). If you still have ares installed, try a null chain (shunts only from I to O), connect the guitar into axe into amp and a/b it with guitar into amp only and let us know!

I should have a chance to try your suggestion this afternoon.

Yes the amp gain has increased, but there's a knob - sometimes even two! ... one can argue even three - specifically designed to fix this! ;)

That's not the point. The question is why did it increase? Was there an error in the Quantum firmware algorithm versus the Ares firmware algorithm?

It's not the first time the gain changed between firmwares. Yes maybe now it's too high to be realistic (compared with the actual amp with the exact same setting), in which case this question is completely valid. Is the gain higher than on the III with a simple preset of the same settings? Then too it's valid.

With this firmware I suddenly like amps I never liked before, e.g. the AC30 and the Rectifiers. Do I like them now because they don't sound realistic anymore, but went into a direction of my liking? I doubt it for the Rectifiers, because I owned one before I switched to the Ultra. It's the first time I like it in the Axe without the need of a boost pedal in front, which I never did back in the day with the real one. The AC30 Hot now can almost be used as a metal amp. Does this make sense?!

This update is obviously a big one and I'm pretty sure the raise of gain is kind of a side effect. If you don't like it, lower it again, just as we did before with other firmwares. If however this is based on a bug, then it should be fixed!

It's not the first time the gain changed between firmwares. Yes maybe now it's too high to be realistic (compared with the actual amp with the exact same setting), in which case this question is completely valid. Is the gain higher than on the III with a simple preset of the same settings? Then too it's valid.

With this firmware I suddenly like amps I never liked before, e.g. the AC30 and the Rectifiers. Do I like them now because they don't sound realistic anymore, but went into a direction of my liking? I doubt it for the Rectifiers, because I owned one before I switched to the Ultra. It's the first time I like it in the Axe without the need of a boost pedal in front, which I never did back in the day with the real one. The AC30 Hot now can almost be used as a metal amp. Does this make sense?!

This update is obviously a big one and I'm pretty sure the raise of gain is kind of a side effect. If you don't like it, lower it again, just as we did before with other firmwares. If however this is based on a bug, then it should be fixed!

Wait, we’re not complaining. We’re asking a question! Of course we can lower the gain, but if some user (like myself) uses 300 presets based on the ac30tb, spends a day adjusting them all, and Friday ares 1.01 comes out saying “fixes a bug that caused the ac30 to have too much gain”, i think i’m allowed to ask the question, aren’t I?

Of course you are!!! But always remember, this is a beta, for which I wouldn't ever do such a big task. Betas are for testing! If you need a perfectly working system for a gig, I'd reload the backup.

I know, in fact that’s what I did! But in the meantime I was trying to figure out wether this extra gain was unintended or final!

Wait, we’re not complaining. We’re asking a question! Of course we can lower the gain, but if some user (like myself) uses 300 presets based on the ac30tb, spends a day adjusting them all, and Friday ares 1.01 comes out saying “fixes a bug that caused the ac30 to have too much gain”, i think i’m allowed to ask the question, aren’t I?

It‘s a BETA!
To change all your presets at now doesn‘t make sense!
Change the presets, if the final version has been rolled out!
That would make sense ;-) wouldn‘t it?

I feel like it opened everything up a bit and sounds great here. I have not checked out every amp in the box but the ones that are in my presets sound better. In fact it has made my gas to get a 3 worse. That would be the only negative so far. I am using a mesa poweramp into cabs.

In the test that I did, I had to decrease Preamp CF Hardness to 3.33 in AC30Tb!
I noticed more gain with the SDD Preamp as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom