Aex-Edit: Create Scene

APE

Inspired
I want to use scenes with my FCB-1010 pedal to change sounds, while avoiding the signal dropping that I experience when switching presets.

Please show me any videos on creating scenes through Axe-Edit. The manual and videos I've watched don't explain how to do that.

Thank you,

You've already created a scene - Every preset uses Scene 1 by default. Now click on Scene 2 and adjust the On/Off and XY of the blocks as desired and save.

Please refer to the manual for the definition of Scenes. They are not the same as Presets.

You've already created a scene - Every preset uses Scene 1 by default. Now click on Scene 2 and adjust the On/Off and XY of the blocks as desired and save.

Where? I don't see any "Scene 2" in the Axe Edit window to click on.

Please refer to the manual for the definition of Scenes. They are not the same as Presets.

The manual refers to the scenes MINI MANUAL.
§16.15 Scenes
Note: A separate “MINI MANUAL” also covers SCENES. Find it on our web site support page.
The scenes MINI MANUAL — http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Scenes-Mini-Manual-1.02.pdf — also talks about pressing buttons on the front of the Axe FX.

I have trouble seeing the screen very well. Maybe there is a video that explains how to do it using AXE Edit. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Where? I don't see any "Scene 2" in the Axe Edit window to click on
Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 1.13.25 PM.png

i referred to the Axe manual for your understanding of Scenes because it explains the concept well enough. the Mini Manual is additional. it's best to read both.

now that i have the manual open, this is part of the text i was hoping you'd read:

"Every Axe-Fx II preset now contains eight SCENES. Each scene stores the BYPASS setting for every block in the preset, the X/Y selection for those blocks that support it, the preset’s MAIN output level, and the MAIN output of the FX LOOP block."

so as i mentioned before, just change to Scene 2 and set the On/Off and XY state for the blocks as desired. then save. now you have a 2nd Scene set up.

OK, got it.

Now I need to figure out how to trigger those using FCB. I found a video explaining that part but didn't completely get it. I will keep trying.

Thank you,

OK, got it.

Now I need to figure out how to trigger those using FCB. I found a video explaining that part but didn't completely get it. I will keep trying.

Thank you,
i don't know how to program the FCB, but you will want to send a CC message. you want to send CC#034, and you ALSO want to send a VALUE for that CC#.

0 = Scene 1
1 = Scene 2
etc.

to get to Scene 2, you would send CC#034 Value 1
to get to Scene 5, you would send CC#034 Value 4
to get to Scene 1, you would send CC#034 Value 0

etc.

Alternatively you might want to map program changes (PCs) to scenes at the Axe-FX I/O: MIDI menu. This would probably be easier than programming the FCB for scene select CCs.

I don't know if the FCB supports scenes natively. You may need to get the UNO firmware chip for that... But if it is possible, I'm sure somebody here will correct me!

This video, from about 1:50 in, shows the procedure.

I did it and it it is working.

FCB switch 06, triggers AxeFx preset 05.
FCB switch 07, triggers AxeFx preset 05, scene 2.

That's what I wanted to do.

Scene 2 now has a Phaser on it. Next step is to work on Scene 2, so the Phaser has more sweep and less constant "hah hah hah" noise.

Thanks,

This is not working just how I want. It changes from scene one to scene two, and that's great when I'm preset 6 and want to turn on the phaser in Scene 2.

But it changes to scene 2 of whatever preset I'm on. It's effectively a "scene 2" switch.

I want it to switch to preset 6 when I'm not already on that preset, and then switch to scene 2.

Because I want to minimize signal dropout, and that happens with preset switching.

This is not working just how I want. It changes from scene one to scene two, and that's great when I'm preset 6 and want to turn on the phaser in Scene 2.

But it changes to scene 2 of whatever preset I'm on. It's effectively a "scene 2" switch.

I want it to switch to preset 6 when I'm not already on that preset, and then switch to scene 2.

Because I want to minimize signal dropout, and that happens with preset switching.
That is how scene changes work. And changing to another preset regardless of which scene is still going to incur the dropout. The issue is caused by changing presets... Scene changes are always within a preset, anything else is a preset change.

The issue is caused by changing presets... Scene changes are always within a preset, anything else is a preset change.
Anything other than a scene change is a preset change? I think you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.

Program change events trigger a program change in Axe FX, even if the new program and the current program are the same. Switching from preset 6 to preset 6 — the same preset — causes a dropout. How come there isn't any way around that?

Anything other than a scene change is a preset change? I think you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.

Program change events trigger a program change in Axe FX, even if the new program and the current program are the same. Switching from preset 6 to preset 6 — the same preset — causes a dropout. How come there isn't any way around that?
I misread your post... I thought you said you were on preset 2 trying to change to scene 2 of preset 6...

If you are within the same preset and experiencing audio dropout on scene change then either you are changing x/y states on the amp block during the change or else you have Axe-edit running.

Is it possible to switch amps in a preset science? Say I am in preset 3 scene 8,I switch to scene 4...is it possible to switch amps and the level between the amps or do I have to change presets to do this? I am just trying to go from a crunch to a lead volume with more gain or what have you..so I can't get it to save different levels with the Sama amp and if I switch amps it switches in both scenes..sorry for the noob question

Is it possible to switch amps in a preset science? Say I am in preset 3 scene 8,I switch to scene 4...is it possible to switch amps and the level between the amps or do I have to change presets to do this? I am just trying to go from a crunch to a lead volume with more gain or what have you..so I can't get it to save different levels with the Sama amp and if I switch amps it switches in both scenes..sorry for the noob question
you can use the XY feature to load a 2nd set of Amp parameters (the Y setting) for a completely different sound. know that there will be a very short audio gap, so as with many other pedals, you want to switch slightly before the downbeat or wherever you want the new sound.

you can also use Presets to do this of course, since Presets can change everything.

you could also use a drive pedal for gain or volume, or add a Filter or use any other block to turn on a Level increase, or use the Output block MAIN slider for volume changes per Scene.

Thanks for the help, so simply put..scene is x/y for differnt amp or volume levels or,Change preset..I would imagine the drive or eq could give a boost but the amp change is a level setting which is more of a dB ,so I lean towards that for getting out in the mix..

Thanks for the help, so simply put..scene is x/y for differnt amp or volume levels or,Change preset..I would imagine the drive or eq could give a boost but the amp change is a level setting which is more of a dB ,so I lean towards that for getting out in the mix..
for JUST a level change, i'd suggest a Filter block set to Type = Null and increase the LEVEL there 3 or 4 dB. i like to leave my Amp Level set as much as possible once it's balanced. many ways to do the same thing.

I'm going to try that..which filter would you recommend then I could just use it as a footswitch on off for the same scene..only one tap...like that

I'm going to try that..which filter would you recommend then I could just use it as a footswitch on off for the same scene..only one tap...like that
i already described it: Filter block, Type: Null, Level: +3 to 6 dB

Back
Top Bottom