AES to my X32?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,
For the last 14 years or so, I’ve used the analogue outputs of my fractal gear, into a mixing desk, to the pc. Always been happy with the results, and being a windows user, I don’t have the luxury of using multiple sound sources without resorting to potentially unstable 3rd party software.
But… I’d like to try…
So - is it possible to route my axe fx 3 aes/ebu to my X32 aes50 and use that instead?
Thanks
Pauly

The easiest way to run it would be to go with the analog outs into the X32. There isn't a direct way to go from AES/EBU on the AxeFX to the X32; AES50 isn't compatible with that (neither the protocol nor the physical connectors), and I don't think any of the X32s have AES/EBU inputs.

If you really want to avoid extra analog/digital conversion, you could take a look at a Dante-based setup, but that will require some additional hardware to get going. With the X-DANTE expansion card for the X32 and an Audinate AVIO adapter for the AxeFx AES/EBU, you can route audio to and from the mixer and your AxeFx all over Ethernet. I have this setup at my studio and I love it, but it's probably overkill if you don't have very many audio sources.

But before you jump through those hoops, I'd definitely encourage trying the analog route first -- your ears probably can't tell a difference between the two, and you don't need anything extra for that (other than a couple XLR cables).

Hi @jasonmauer
Yes the analogue works fine, was just wondering if I could go digital - Seems not so I'll have to find something else to do tonight :)
Thanks
Pauly

The easiest way to run it would be to go with the analog outs into the X32. There isn't a direct way to go from AES/EBU on the AxeFX to the X32; AES50 isn't compatible with that (neither the protocol nor the physical connectors), and I don't think any of the X32s have AES/EBU inputs.

If you really want to avoid extra analog/digital conversion, you could take a look at a Dante-based setup, but that will require some additional hardware to get going. With the X-DANTE expansion card for the X32 and an Audinate AVIO adapter for the AxeFx AES/EBU, you can route audio to and from the mixer and your AxeFx all over Ethernet. I have this setup at my studio and I love it, but it's probably overkill if you don't have very many audio sources.

But before you jump through those hoops, I'd definitely encourage trying the analog route first -- your ears probably can't tell a difference between the two, and you don't need anything extra for that (other than a couple XLR cables).

So - is it possible to route my axe fx 3 aes/ebu to my X32 aes50 and use that instead?
Thanks
Pauly
No, it‘s not possible.
AES/EBU (that is aka AES3) and AES50 are two completely different cups of tea. They are not interchangeable.

But there is a way. Or, better said, several ways.

First, you have to accept, that you need an Input with AES/EBU capabilities attached to the X32.

That can be:
  1. a stagebox with AES Inputs such as MIDAS DL153
  2. an AES interface with ADAT output plus an ADAT interface card in the X32
  3. an AES to Dante interface plus a Dante interface in the X32
Personally, I use - on different X32 - all of the 3 options mentioned above. All is functioning properly.

EDIT:
Stagebox is DL 155. Has 4 x AES/EBU Ins/Outs plus analog Ins/Outs.

Last edited:
Update - Looking at the price of the DL156, I think I will stick with the analogue inputs!!

Thanks all
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom