AES/EBU in the Axe FX II. How it works?

SynFactory

Inspired
Hi guys, I want to buy in the next months a good quality soundcard interface for my studio, and since I'm having problems using the Axe FX II as an USB interface, I'm searching a soundcard that will have AES/EBU connections.
But since I've never used it before, can somebody explain to me how it works?
How many signals passes through one cable? 2?
Am I will be able to record the stereo processed signal and the Dry track at the same time through it?
And then later on, is it possibile to reamp also through the Aes Ebu connections?
Thanks!

You should probably read wikipedia or something. It's pretty simple.
You just connect it to your soundcard. Axe FX will sync the AES/EBU clock to the master (soundcard)
I am not sure if the dry signal goes through AES/EBU or the SPDIF as well.
From what I've read the AES/EBU and SPDIF outputs supports a stereo output.
It is possible to reamp though AES/EBU and SPDIF and then transmit the reamped audio back to the soundcard.
If you want to use AES/EBU or SPDIF for reamping you go to "I/O" on the Axe FX front panel, turn to next menu tab called "audio", from there you select the "main input source", default is Analog (in 1). With the big knob you can change it to SPDIF/AES or USB.
Why don't you fix the problems you have with the Axe-FX? Should be cheaper as well, instead of buying a new soundcard.

Can anyone confirm how many outputs get transmited through the digital I/O?
Couldn't find it on the manual or wiki.

AES/EBU and S/PDIF carries a stereo signal - two channels. So...

...you can not record stereo processed + dry at the same time through AES/EBU or S/SPDIF.

AxeFx will not slave to a master, it must be the master. Soundcard should slave to the Axe's 48k.

AxeFx will not slave to a master, it must be the master. Soundcard should slave to the Axe's 48k.

Oh my mistake!

Toobad about the Processed/dry signal thing :/

Synfactory, what problems do you have with the Axe FX as your primary audio device? We could maybe help you

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yes, I've read wikipedia, and it says in that that it transmits 2 signals. I just wanted to have a confirm from somebody who tried to use it.
Spazi, thanks for the help, but as far I know, it's a common problem with Mac, I've also directly contacted the guys at Fractal and they told me that is a Mac Osx problem, and they already contacted Apple to try to solve it in a future system upgrade.
Have you ever had the impulse of throwing a computer from a window? :D

AES/EBU and S/PDIF carries a stereo signal - two channels. So...

...you can not record stereo processed + dry at the same time through AES/EBU or S/SPDIF.

The Axe-fx II can be a slave according to Cliff:
"The Axe-Fx II can be a slave. Set the Input Source to AES. It will derive its internal clock from the input stream. The input stream must be 48K. Note that SOMETHING must be the master in this case."

Just thinking about it a coople of minutes and I had an idea.
Since I only need the Dry track to be without AD/DA conversions, is it possible to record it via Aes/Ebu and at the same time record the processed stereo signal via the Analog Output?

"The Axe-Fx II can be a slave. Set the Input Source to AES. It will derive its internal clock from the input stream. The input stream must be 48K. Note that SOMETHING must be the master in this case."
Yep, this will work, did it the other day. However what this also means is that you can't be sync'd while playing directly into the front or rear of the AxeFXII in order to record.

I don't think it's possible to reamp with SPDIF. I haven't attempted AES/EBU, but that's something I need to look into because being stuck at 48k is causing me all sorts of problems.

Spazi, thanks for the help, but as far I know, it's a common problem with Mac, I've also directly contacted the guys at Fractal and they told me that is a Mac Osx problem, and they already contacted Apple to try to solve it in a future system upgrade.

What's the problem exactly? I'm using Mac's only and haven't noticed a problem yet. Only had this thing for a couple of weeks though 8)

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yes, I've read wikipedia, and it says in that that it transmits 2 signals. I just wanted to have a confirm from somebody who tried to use it.

No problem mate, I am sorry that you are having a hard time enjoying the Axe FX II.

I thought so!

Just thinking about it a coople of minutes and I had an idea.
Since I only need the Dry track to be without AD/DA conversions, is it possible to record it via Aes/Ebu and at the same time record the processed stereo signal via the Analog Output?

That might be possible I think. Not sure!

No problem mate, I am sorry that you are having a hard time enjoying the Axe FX II.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I enjoying my Axe Fx II a lot! It's just that me and my computer disagree on some things. Maybe a couple of kicks in the hard drives may solve the problem :D

Is there any such device that could handle the AES/EBU connections from the Axe FX, then convert to SPDIF for an interface, and be clocked with BNC connectors so that the interface is the master for everything?

I just read somethign that says SPDIF has clock abilities... if so, why couldn't I use SPDIF to slave the Axe FX to an SPDIF-equipped interface?

Yes. You can even assign AES out to just the digital input. If you want to channel effects to the other output, you'll need to insert a loop block after the effect and out of line with the Axe output.

Ah ok, but it can not derive another sample rate from incoming signal, only clock to 48k.

Back
Top Bottom