AES and Line 6 Powercab Plus

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Hooked up my Powercab Plus 112 to my III for the first time in a while, and I could not get good audio via AES. I configured AES as the digital format, and assigned it to output 2. Output 2 is not copying output 1. I have an output 2 block in my path sending it no cab. I use an AES cable to go from the AES output of the III to the AES input of the Powercab Plus. This works perfectly with my Helix. With the III, I get dropouts, strange audio, loud cracks, static, etc.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This used to work, but I haven't done it in a long time. Normal audio via output 2 to the powercab works great.

I haven’t tried it with the Axe FX III, but I thought the Helix used a proprietary communication protocol (L6 Link) over the AES connection. I assume the input on the PowerCab is configured to expect that.

Are you using proper AES cable? How long is the run?
I’m wondering if you’ve got something conflicting in your clock setup. What is the clock master in your setup?

I used PowerCab Plus with an XL via AES without issue.

Does the Powercab accept the 48K samplerate that the Axe Fx III puts pout through AES, or is the powercab locked to another sample rate ??

I've confirmed on both III's that using the analog outputs on Output 2 works as expected. I get good audio and the Powercabs' speaker models are active. But when I try to use the AES out on the Axe and AES input on the powercabs (daisy chaining the powercabs through AES), the audio sounds harsh, thin, and there are cracks, pops, and dropouts. And it almost sounds like it's using the Flat FRFR mode on the Powercabs, even though that isn't selected. I've tried different AES and XLR cables. No difference. It almost does sound like a sample rate mismatch, but the Powercab accepts 48K and that's all the Axe-Fx puts out.

In this case I'd try to set it to external, maybe the powercab needs to be the master.
That is not how clock works. The PowerCab can’t send clock up-stream.
I don’t know the Axe3 at all. If you only have the Axe3 and the two PowerCabs, the Axe3 should be the clock MASTER.

On my XL, I’ve got Word Clock set to “Auto” and SPDIF/AES Select set to AES. I’m using only one PowerCab + (for now) and it works perfectly.

I also tried it with just a single Powercab. Still doesn't work right.

But let me tell you...audio outputs of the Axe-III to 2 Powercab+ in stereo? Probably the best stage tone I've had to date, especially after the 2.0 Powercab firmware update. That "brown" speaker (EVH greenback) is awesome. I don't mind running analog this way, but it would be more "cool" if I could run digital to the amps as Line6 claims I can.

I have a power cab and will test this later. Currently im using analog outputs from output 2 to the cab without issue but yes, im curious to try this. Let me know if you find a solution before I do ;).

Same here I'm curious to try this also, just got a powercab the other day. Waiting for my AES cable to turn up which should be tomorrow will give it a test as well.

Same here I'm curious to try this also, just got a powercab the other day. Waiting for my AES cable to turn up which should be tomorrow will give it a test as well.

While you SHOULD use an AES cable, it's not always 100% necessary. Most times plain XLR cables will work too. In my case, neither works properly.

While you SHOULD use an AES cable, it's not always 100% necessary. Most times plain XLR cables will work too. In my case, neither works properly.

Tried it with a normal XLR cable to Out 2 on the Axe, works great. Tried it in FRFR mode and also tried disabling the cab block on the axe and using the built in ones on the power cab.

I was just curious to test the AES cable as well. I'm assuming the AES cable doesn't offer any control over the cab models in the power cab? that's just for the helix? I'd have to run a midi cable if I wanted to change the built in speaker models on the Powercab and then use the Axe's midi block to change them on the fly?

Back
Top Bottom