AEII+Amp+Cab Trouble

Euji

Hi there!

I'm having a serious issue with my Axe-FxII connected to a tube power amp&cabinet.
I'm playing a gig for NYE and the setlist requires the most standard sounds out there (Clean, Crunch Lo, Crunch Hi, Distortion and Lead).

Since I'm using a power amp + cabinet setup (production needs), I had to craft these tones with the purpose of being as versatile as possible (30 songs in the setlist).

I'm using a Brunetti 2x12" cab and the power amp is loaded with EL34s.

Here's the thing:

- CLEAN -> Super Verb -> I'm happy with it. Classic.
- CRUNCH LO -> Jtm45 -> Definitely not good. Feels like mud to my ears. No detail. Fizzy hi-end.
- CRUNCH HI -> Jtm45 Jump + Drive-> Not bad, still not THAT good. No real bottom end.
- DISTORTION -> Recto Orange Vintage -> Good. Still no significant bottom end.
- LEAD -> Recto Orange Vintage + Drive + FXs-> Good. Happy with it.

As you've seen, I'm experimenting a lack in low frequencies.
To me this is a problem.
I'm using a 2x12" so I will obviously not have the low end of a 4x12", but I'm looking for something better, especially in terms of sound definition.
The only tweaks made to the amp sims are the simulation type switched from "Authentic" to "Ideal/Smooth" which I heard is better for this kind of application.

Really need your help guys!!

Thanks,
Eugenio.

Looks like it's not enough. Seems more like an overall problem. Sound lacks definition over frequencies.

I quess your Brunetti is loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s? They pronounce the mid-range attack. Try to increase the Amp block => GEQ page => "125" Hz and find a low-end response "feel" from the Amp block => Speaker page => "Low Res Freq" (should be around 75 Hz).

I'm new to this setup as well, but have picked up a few things...

I second the PA sim on + CAB sim off approach for starters. I have found that the DEPTH parameter really helps with the low end. Also make a point of tweaking the speaker resonance parameters in the SPKR page of the AMP block, as these influence low end utilization in the cab. I'm always messing switches as well. Lastly, I've found that a a PEQ or FILTER block used as a low pass after the AMP is basically essential to dealing with the rough highs.

I use a 2x2 and have huge bottom end when I want it.

Try the amp block speaker page - you need to tune the low freq resonance to that of your speaker. Play a low E chug, while sweeping the freq from approx 80hz up to 150hz. Somewhere around the 100-130 (dependent on cab and speakers) you should hear the thump and bottom end really come in. Find the best freq - or center the setting in the middle of the best sound. If you need more still, you can raise the Low res vale to give more - or lower it to give less.

If that doesnt get you all the way there - then try adding some depth in the power tab, the dynamic depth in the dynEQ tab, Low Cut Frequency (low it if not set low already) in the adv tab, or even the depth freq also in the adv tab (if changing the depth works not not low enough).

One - or a combination of some - of those should sort you out.

With regards to PA sim - it all depends how loud, or rather how much of the power amps (real one) headroom your using. If the volume your playing it is well within the amps capability, leaving the PA sim on can help a lot - particularly with sims that rely on a high master (that is the virtual amps power section being driven hard). If you turn the PA sim off in those cases your not getting the power amp crunch part of the tone (as your real amp isnt being pushed). If you run the real power amp high - your always going to be pushing it and your clean tones may not be that clean - which you may want.

I now use a SS power amp - but when I was using a tube power amp - I actually turned the Pa sims on, but kept the real amp running well within its headroom, that way I got the tones from the AFX, so could get modern and classic tones both crunch and clean. That may not be what suits your volume levels/power amp or style though.

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys. And thank you paul for your very detailed reply!

In regards to this gig I'm going to use some presets that I used on tour with another band, months ago. Back then I had way more time to tweak my presets, fine-tuning them while on the road. So I'll go with them. A little too much metal oriented, but hopefully no one will lament! :)

So, after this gig I will try out all of your precious suggestions!

Thanks so much guys!

Back
Top Bottom