Advise on recording software.

SRDELE

Inspired
I have been using axe fx USB into garage band but starting a new band and want to do some recordings with the band. This is we're I'm not sure what software to get. Protools, reason and such. I thing that it would be best to be able to record 8 track at a time at most. I don't really know how to master at all so some of the bells and whistles may never be used. Not looking spend more than I need to but don't want to buy under what I may actually use. Thanks for any help
SRDELE
And you thoughts on USB vs FireWire

I use Logic and have done for just 2 months. Would highly recommend it. Very easy to use and great value for money. For an interface i bought a Focusite saffire pro 40, it has 8 inputs with Mic pre's, Coax in/out, optical in/out. And a mix software which allows you to send any input to any output, for if your drummer wants a more guitar (outside of the configuration of the recording software. for eg.)

The AXE fx2 coax's into the saffire (which you set to operate at 48khz frequency source to coax to stop any jitter) Then input 9-10 in a track to record the axe fx into logic.

Look up Roland octocapture i havent used it but its there latest product for small bands.
This is a recording a made with Logic , axe fx, saffire pro, mastered with help from a tc electronic finalizer connected through optical pipes. https://soundcloud.com/after-the-garden/severance-1

I use Logic and Focusite saffire pro 40

I've used the same since late '08 and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to not heartily recommend them
thumbsup.gif

These threads do tend to provoke a raft of 'favourite' or 'what works for me' type responses mind you!

I like Logic as well. Was using Reaper which I liked, but Logic comes with a lot of really good plugins, and there are tons of tutorials, videos etc out there. It sucks it only runs on Mac's but it is what it is.

Looks like logic has a good following. I have a new maci mini for it to go into. Where is the best place to buy? Does sweetwater sell it? Thanks again for the help.

I have Logic on a MacBook Pro. I highly recommend Logic Buy it from the Mac App Store.

Looks like 199.99 at the app store. Is that the same program you get in the box version?

Last edited:
Will do, boy that is a lot cheaper than pro tools as well. I will be able to get a good fire wire with 8 channels now.

Why can't you continue to use Garageband?

Firewire 800 is the fastest I/O right now, but I don't think any of the audio interfaces actually take advantage of it unless you want to end up spending a good bit of cash.

I would also hold off as I heard the industry is going to be hopping on the Thunderbolt bandwagon shortly.

You can record more than 8 tracks on Garageband. What do you intend to do with the recordings?

I would also hold off as I heard the industry is going to be hopping on the Thunderbolt bandwagon shortly.

Whilst true, I'd still quite readily jump in with Firewire now because as you say, that is still very good and the early Thunderbolt stuff will likely be pretty pricey. Maybe make that change in a few years once the furore has died down
thumbsup.gif

I use Logic Pro with a Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire mixer. Works great since I can also run vocals, keyboards, bass, etc. through the mixer and it connects via firewire to my Mac for its digital audio connection. I run the Axe through there as well and don't use the Axe USB connection for audio (though it works fine when I tried it).

Logic Pro is also a great deal at the current price because you also get to download all of the additional audio loops you used to have to pay a lot for.

I was a long time Sonar Calkwalk user. Then I tried Reaper, though it's midi is lacking when compared to Sonar 8.5 and x1/x2, it has everything I need and more, and is so customizable that it for my needs blows Sonar away. It is free, though I purchased my version for $60.00 at the time of my purchase, well worth it.

I don't know why, but I thought I heard that M-Audio was coming out with a Thunderbolt interface for the budget minded. I could be WAAAAAY off though.

I love Protools. But, it takes a bit of learning. If you're already familiar with Garageband, I say go with Logic. To be perfectly honest, I think I may be switching to Cubase 7 when Protools 10 becomes 'old'. I'm sick of their $300 per year updates.

Last edited:
Protool and Logic are the same.
Both have a leaning curve( like every other thing).
I use Logic with uln-2, works great.
Will worth the money.

...when Protools 10 becomes 'old'. I'm sick of their $300 per year updates.

Totally agree, got sick of that too... Personally I prefer logic anyway.

But after upgrading to PT9, then 10... I got fed up with the upgrade cycle and cost, not missed it
In the slightest!

Back
Top Bottom