Advice Wanted: Guitar Painting/Refinishing or Other Options

secondwindow

Power User
I'm considering having my stratocaster painted. It's currently finished in sunburst with gloss urethane over ash. It's a Fender American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster, purchased early this year.

There's nothing at all wrong with the finish - it looks great and is in mint condition. So, nothing needs fixing.

I really like this guitar, but have always wanted a strat in metalic pelham blue.

I think my options are, in no particular order:

1) have the body refinished.
2) buy another body in the strat ultra luxe shape in the color I want and sell the sunburst body
3) sell my strat and replace with another in the color I want that has all the other features I like in the strat I have now.
4) or ... ?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Maybe buy a Warmoth body in the color you want... I guess that falls under #2.
That's a good idea and I've bought plenty of bodies and necks from Warmoth and they've always been great. However, the shape of the heel is different and I don't think Warmoth offers pelham blue. Maybe there's another body maker that covers what I'm looking for.

See if stratosphere has an unfinished ultra luxe body and have someone paint it?

Definitely a second body vs refin IMHO.

I prefer this option but the risk is a new body will sound like a different guitar, good or bad.
That's true. If I buy a new body that doesn't work for me, at least I have the option of possibly returning it or reselling. If I get the strat body I already have refinished and I don't like it, then there's no going back.

Back
Top Bottom