advice on upgrading to 3

I came from axe fx 2 and the 3 is better, as tweaking all kind of indepth stuff is no longer needed. Mostly eq settings in amp, cab, drives and effects

And with the turbo you will be future proof for some time...

Hello friends,

I did a little digging around out there and I apologize if this is redundant. I was more seeking advice tailored to what I am doing.

I bought the Axefx 2 xl+ in 2015 I believe it was. It blew my mind and has remained the coolest thing I have ever owned bar none. I know that now 7 years later it is still extremely powerful and valid. My most complex patch uses about 77% of cpu. To me it sounds amazing and I'm sure I still don't use it to it's full potential.

I am not a gigging musician or a master of the ways of dialing things in. I work a trade job. I mainly just play by myself with headphones or my monitors, I also use an apollo twin for certain plugins/fx.

Money not really an issue. Just curious if that same "damn" factor is felt with a 3 to others who have upgraded. I like some of the stock presets and to try others presets as I am not as savvy at dialing in. I have someone interested in my 2 to boot. Or might this be overkill for someone like me as I don't currently push the 2 to the max.

If money is not an issue I think you'd love the Axe FXIII. You'll need to buy an FC-12mkII to use with it. I did not notice much difference in sound quality from the Axe FXIIXL+ to the Axe FXIII back when it first came out, but there is definitely a clear audible difference now. Cliff has gradually improved almost everything. Amps, effects, you name it, and the improvements and innovations keep coming regularly. Would I be happy if I only had my Axe FXII. Yes. Am I happy I got the Axe FXIII and FC-12mkII. Yes.

If money is not an issue I think you'd love the Axe FXIII. You'll need to buy an FC-12mkII to use with it. I did not notice much difference in sound quality from the Axe FXIIXL+ to the Axe FXIII back when it first came out, but there is definitely a clear audible difference now. Cliff has gradually improved almost everything. Amps, effects, you name it, and the improvements and innovations keep coming regularly. Would I be happy if I only had my Axe FXII. Yes. Am I happy I got the Axe FXIII and FC-12mkII. Yes.
(you won't need the FC12 but if you want it it's there)

Like you, I bought an Axe-Fx II XL+ in 2015 and loved it. I ended up selling it about a year after the III was released to fund that purchase. I didn't sell the II because I felt it lacked CPU power; I didn't have a tendency to push the CPU to its limits. I bought it because I believed that, sonically (and feature-wise), the unit would steadily improve, and I wasn't wrong. At this point, the feature set is head and shoulders superior to the II, but more importantly for me, sonically, it just sounds better, in my opinion.

Having said that, if you're completely happy with the II, what piqued your interest in the III?
Mainly just how blown away I was after getting the 2. I quite literally have never owned anything as cool. Knowing there was a next gen step up I was just a believer.

I actually just received my 3 (turbo) today! and uh DAMN! I am still figuring out my way around but It does indeed seem a step above and more expansive. I have yet to really dig in yet was mostly setting things up and messing around. I was trying to use fractool to import a few presets that I liked from my 2 and I am navigating the changes and nuances, Just dialed one in and I have that grin.

That said I really miss echo room 2 preset from the xl+. I have been trying to dial in and try to import some from fractool. So much to do and explore!

I really appreciate the advice from all. I had the 2xl+ for 7 years now and I feel like this will serve me so very well for another 7 and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom