Advice on playing along with iTunes tracks via USB

aPeRSon

A normal practice session for me involves hooking my laptop up to my AxeFxII XL via USB and playing along with iTunes tracks. The AxeFxII XL is set up as my primary sound device on the laptop and everything is working fine - I can hear the tracks and guitar, whilst listening via a pair of Yamaha NS5 active monitors and I'm more than happy with the sound.

What I am finding, however, is that there can be quite a difference in the audio levels across different tracks, usually as I change from one iTunes album to another, but sometimes between tracks on the same album.

Initially, I used an iPad, running a cable from the headphone out into the Axe rear inputs and placed an FX return block at the far right of the grid on my presets, but when I realised that I could use USB, it made sense to go that route, as I usually have my laptop connected and AxeEdit running whilst I play.

I know I can tweak the USB level on the Axe, but it's a bit inconvenient to do this between tracks. I was wondering if there is any way to route the USB audio differently and either add a touch of compression, adjust the level by a dB (or two) or maybe there's a slicker way to adjust USB audio levels?

I believe you just need to tweak the usb audio and that's all you can do. I do the same thing as you though.

I just open (insert media) direct from the iTunes Library mp3s into new Reaper projects and set the levels there and save the project - you eventually end up with a big menu of 'Previous projects' to look at and quickly load individual songs in to practice with and all are normalised in volume to peak at -6 on Reaper's output meter . The original source (44.1kHz) iTunes mp3 file is left unaltered as it's only referenced in and it's only the small (48 kHz) Reaper project files that have any edits done to them such as loop markers for those tricky leads or fine tuning tweaks done to tracks etc.

iTunes also has volume adjust for individual tracks, do command-i and select the options tag.

I didn't know that - will definitely take a look. Hopefully, I'll get a chance tomorrow evening.

I just open (insert media) direct from the iTunes Library mp3s into new Reaper projects and set the levels there and save the project - you eventually end up with a big menu of 'Previous projects' to look at and quickly load individual songs in to practice with and all are normalised in volume to peak at -6 on Reaper's output meter . The original source (44.1kHz) iTunes mp3 file is left unaltered as it's only referenced in and it's only the small (48 kHz) Reaper project files that have any edits done to them such as loop markers for those tricky leads or fine tuning tweaks done to tracks etc.

Genius! I could add a midi track to call up my preset(s) automatically and do the scene changes too!

Gotta love this black box!
:D

Back
Top Bottom