Advice on PA-speaker/FRFR purchase

Tao

Hello all
I know this topic is widely discussed on this forum, and I've read at a LOT of threads... However!

I'm looking for a single (for now) 10" or 12" active PA speaker that:
  • is suitable in both home and live-settings
  • performs well at any volume
  • doesn't have a lot of fan-noise (at medium/low volume)
  • has RCA or 3.5mm minijack for playing music
  • includes some EQ possibilities
  • weighs around 30-40 lbs ( I think most of them does anyway)
  • costs around $640 or less

I recently tried JBLs Eon 612 and first impressions were good, seemed a bit boomy in the low end. I could not get the bluetooth/app to work, so I won't get the 612.
Lack of experience makes me think almost anything will sound good at first impression...

I've looked online at Yamaha DXR10 MKII, Turbosound iQ12, Mackie SRM550 12", EV ZLX 12P - but I'm not getting any closer to any decision.

If it's relevant I use the AX8 and play mostly ambient, psychedelic and like a good clean tone with smooth reverb.

I'm unable to test any of them, so could those of you with any experience give some input/advice?

Last edited:
Closest thing i can think of is a used Atomic CLR wedge I or more likely a 10 or 12” xitone wedge!!
Personally, id go with Xitone because i prefer the sound and feel it gives, and the build quality is amazing, and CS is literally the best I’ve ever experience in any company

Last edited:
Hello all
I know this topic is widely discussed on this forum, and I've read at a LOT of threads... However!

I'm looking for a single (for now) 10" or 12" active PA speaker that:
  • is suitable in both home and live-settings
  • performs well at any volume
  • doesn't have a lot of fan-noise (at medium/low volume)
  • has RCA or 3.5mm minijack for playing music
  • includes some EQ possibilities
  • weighs around 30-40 lbs ( I think most of them does anyway)
  • costs around $640 or less

I recently tried JBLs Eon 612 and first impressions were good, seemed a bit boomy in the low end. I could not get the bluetooth/app to work, so I won't get the 612.
Lack of experience makes me think almost anything will sound good at first impression...

I've looked online at Yamaha DXR10 MKII, Turbosound iQ12, Mackie SRM550 12", EV ZLX 12P - but I'm not getting any closer to any decision.

If it's relevant I use the AX8 and play mostly ambient, psychedelic and like a good clean tone with smooth reverb.

I'm unable to test any of them, so could those of you with any experience give some input/advice?
I have been learning my AX FXIII for about 1 week now. Have put quite a bit of hours in it. Today I received my Friedman AMC-12 Powered Cab. Playing on it for about 3 hours+ EASILY out performs my very good Mackie Monitors. However, I have the outputs setup for Protools/UA Console and Mackie Monitors and the AMC-12. I 'will' gig with this setup for sure (FXIII, FC-6, AMC-12). I also still utilize my Friedman Small Box head and 1x12 cab and Deluxe 64 HW.....both tube amps. So I get the best of both worlds. However I'm immersing myself with the AXE FX and was not disappointed at all with the Friedman AMC-12 purchase. It does bring you very much closer to the real amp sound for sure. It can get very articulate with tweaking, so some comments on 'dull' are unfounded IMO. The louder you play it the more amp like it gets....cuz it's built like an amp!

Back
Top Bottom