Advice on guitar for Pink Floyd tribute band

Thanks TG3K :) with Gilmour less is more, and as I am first and foremost a metalhead, I tend to be more ;)

You sir are simply awesome.
Good stuff.

I now have a Suhr Classic, but I hope to check a G&L one day...

I have tuning stability problems with the Suhr though, I don't understand how so many players uses high end guitars (Suhr, Tom Anderson, the latest AZ series from Ibanez...) with classic trems instead of Floyds and always stay in tune :)

For our latest gig, which was private, I used my Tom Anderson instead of the Suhr for "Comfortably numb" :

No soundboard recording this time, but I like this solo more than the Casela one, more restrained and more controlled... But the Casela crowd was much better, 1800 people that are there for you vs 300 tourists and a few friends for the re-launch of a hotel :

A question for Tom Anderson owners : is their Drop Top classic, with three single coils and a maple neck, close enough to a real Stratocaster ?

I have tuning stability problems with the Suhr though, I don't understand how so many players uses high end guitars (Suhr, Tom Anderson, the latest AZ series from Ibanez...) with classic trems instead of Floyds and always stay in tune :)

I have five strat style guitars: three with vintage style tremolo and tuners, an American Standard with locking tuners and a Suhr classic pro. I have no tuning problems with any of them, one of the ones with a vintage tremolo is the one I use in my Pink Floyd tribute band. What strings do you use? Number of springs?

For our latest gig, which was private, I used my Tom Anderson instead of the Suhr for "Comfortably numb" :

No soundboard recording this time, but I like this solo more than the Casela one, more restrained and more controlled... But the Casela crowd was much better, 1800 people that are there for you vs 300 tourists and a few friends for the re-launch of a hotel :

A question for Tom Anderson owners : is their Drop Top classic, with three single coils and a maple neck, close enough to a real Stratocaster ?

Holy flying pigs! Fremen is Gilmore!

wasup guys ?

I've NEVER worked so hard on a small set of presets... After porting them to the Axe-Fx III, I've reviewed tons of things, added new stuff/scenes etc., changed many sounds countless times... And these four last days, I've recorded myself playing all the songs from start to finish over backing tracks, then reamped the DI track with critical ears while tweaking the presets again etc... Here's the short version (I won't share the 2:20 hours one, lol, there's still stuff I need to play better etc.).
These are a SERIOUS upgrade over the Axe-Fx II versions. I still want to fix some things : the piezo sounds etc., and the alternate versions of the piezo presets, for standard electric guitar or electro-acoustic ("wish you were here", for example, is available in three different versions)

This was played on 5 months old strings (I know, I know...)

Fractal Audio Forum exclusivity : excerpts from last night rehearsal, where I was testing all these new sounds. This is an unlisted video, please don't share it elsewhere ;)

Last edited:
A little more, yes ! Still not as stable as a Floyd but I can live with that. I set the floating trem following Carl's Verheyen tips, and also using a oil thingy in the nut. But I really need to test it with new strings now, the current strings are almost dead now

wasup guys ?

I've NEVER worked so hard on a small set of presets... After porting them to the Axe-Fx III, I've reviewed tons of things, added new stuff/scenes etc., changed many sounds countless times... And these four last days, I've recorded myself playing all the songs from start to finish over backing tracks, then reamped the DI track with critical ears while tweaking the presets again etc... Here's the short version (I won't share the 2:20 hours one, lol, there's still stuff I need to play better etc.).
These are a SERIOUS upgrade over the Axe-Fx II versions. I still want to fix some things : the piezo sounds etc., and the alternate versions of the piezo presets, for standard electric guitar or electro-acoustic ("wish you were here", for example, is available in three different versions)

Fractal Audio Forum exclusivity : excerpts from last night rehearsal, where I was testing all these new sounds. This is an unlisted video, please don't share it elsewhere ;)

@fremen : one of the few players who dares to take a Pink Floyd song and make it his own.

That sounded great.

Don't feel bad. Glenn Fricker just did a vid about the differences on guitar between the audible differences between old strings, new strings and boiled strings. The verdict, almost no discernable difference whatsoever. He was most surprised as he's a huge fan of fresh strings for recording. A similar vid of old, boiled and fresh strings for bass did produce a noticeable difference.

Don't feel bad. Glenn Fricker just did a vid about the differences on guitar between the audible differences between old strings, new strings and boiled strings. The verdict, almost no discernable difference whatsoever. He was most surprised as he's a huge fan of fresh strings for recording. A similar vid of old, boiled and fresh strings for bass did produce a noticeable difference.
Thanks, I'll check that, hoping, as it's Glenn, that he also tested clean sounds?

Hi guys, question regarding Suhr guitars which are my main guitars for this project (I have another big concert soon, Axe-Fx III this time). I have two of them, the Orange one (traditional vibrato) which you can see in the videos above and a green one, S6-J Series, with a Floyd Rose.
50856846_10155669385997245_451299263494750208_n.jpg

My issue with it : I thought that the stock bridge pickup, a Suhr Doug Aldritch, was faulty, because it sounded weak compared to the SSV+ on the Orange Suhr - I need much more efforts with legato playing etc. So I removed a DiMarzio AT1 from my Ibanez J Custom to put it on the Suhr. To my surprise, it sounded weak on it too. On the J Custom it has enough power and the legatos etc. are effortless. So what can be the cause ? The electronics ? The guitar also has that small switch that plus the bridge pickup directly to the output, but I don't think it can be the problem. And my technician can't find any fault in the electronics - the SC pickups sounds like they need to, although that guitar is much brighter than my other Suhr. Maybe it's the Gotoh Floyd ? I'm considering ordering a sustain block from Floyd Rose (although they didn't respond to my email in a week). I would like to use the S6 because of the tuning stability

Last edited:
Let me introduces out new backing vocals singer, Joelle :
Ok, i am about a year late to the party here and not quite sure how I missed this, but wow... incredible voice, great look, perfect addition! I hope she's still a part of your show!

On another note, I finally got time to sit down and work with the Fremen presets for Pink Floyd on the III and they are killer! Anyone looking to get a little Gilmour into their gig would do well to check them out.

Hi guys, question regarding Suhr guitars which are my main guitars for this project (I have another big concert soon, Axe-Fx III this time). I have two of them, the Orange one (traditional vibrato) which you can see in the videos above and a green one, S6-J Series, with a Floyd Rose.
50856846_10155669385997245_451299263494750208_n.jpg

My issue with it : I thought that the stock bridge pickup, a Suhr Doug Aldritch, was faulty, because it sounded weak compared to the SSV+ on the Orange Suhr - I had to make much more efforts with legato playing etc. So I removed a DiMarzio AT1 from my Ibanez J Custom to put it on the Suhr. To my surprise, it sounded weak on it too. On the J Custom it has enough power and the legatos etc. are effortless. So what can be the cause ? The electronics ? The guitar also has that small switch that plus the bridge pickup directly to the output, but I don't think it can be the problem. And my technician can't find any fault in the electronics - the SC pickups sounds like they need to, although that guitar is much brighter than my other Suhr. Maybe it's the Gotoh Floyd ? I'm considering ordering a sustain block from Floyd Rose (although they didn't respond to my email in a week). I would like to use the S6 because of the tuning stability
If this guitar is much brighter than your other one, it’s either the pickups or the electronics that are different. The fact that the problem exists with a known-good pickup suggests it’s the electronics.

Am I right in thinking that the other pickups behave as expected?

Last edited:
If this guitar is much brighter than your other one, it’s either the pickups or the electronics that are different. 5e fact that the problem exists with a known-good pickup suggests it’s the electronics.

Am I right in thinking that the other pickups behave as expected?
Yes the other pickups are fine

Yes, I will check it again. But it doesn't sound like it ; the tone is fine
Here's me playing that guitar at last night rehearsal, our first of the year, and also our first with new mixer (Behringer X32) and electronic drums. At first I'm playing over the saxophonist part, as he wasn't there. Of course you can't hear any problem with the humbucker there, it seems to sound just fine. But I need to do much more efforts with my left hand compared to any other superstrat guitar I have

...I need to do much more efforts with my left hand compared to any other superstrat guitar I have
Ah, this is new and specific information.

Compare the two guitars unplugged. Does it still take more effort?

Back
Top Bottom