Advice on electric 12-strings

Starfighter

Experienced
Hello guys and girls

I´m looking into buying an electric 12-string, more specifically a used Gretsch G5422DC-12 G5422DC-12 Electromatic® Hollow Body 12-String by Gretsch® Electric Guitars

Does anyone here have any experience with this guitar in particular, or electric 12-strings in general? Things to check, watch out for, be aware of? Is the Gretsch a-ok or is it worth it to save up for a Rickenbacker?

Any tips/advice welcome, you don´t even have to be objective about it :D

I have not played the Gretsch. The only advice I would give is play it first. The neck width is obviously very important with a 12 string. I had a Charvel Surfcaster many years ago and while it sounded great the neck was just too narrow for me and I eventually sold it. I have a Danelectro 12 string now, it sounds good and the neck is much wider than the Charvel was so it's very comfortable for me to play. The Ric has a very narrow neck, I don't know if it would comfortable to me.

So play it first is all I would suggest.

p

Hm.. still not sure what to do, but thanks for great advice guys. Think I'm gonna try the Gretsch and see what that brings. If I buy the Gretsch, I guess I can still save for a Rickenbacker, eh? :)

The Jerry Jones is what I use, nice wide neck, no cramped strings.
It sounds amazing, I have had it for 12 years.
You can find the used for a good price.
I have used it on every album I have done.

The Jerry Jones is what I use, nice wide neck, no cramped strings.
It sounds amazing, I have had it for 12 years.
You can find the used for a good price.
I have used it on every album I have done.

Cool guitar!

I´m probably going to pull the trigger on a used Gretsch in sunburst tomorrow, can´t wait to try it out! Guess I can always sell it if it doesn´t fit the bill :)

i would avoid anything post fender gretch

if you got $1000 to spent- find a use rickenbaker

if you want to be cheap you can get a danelectro

or no name china 12 string strats

I play electric 12-string electric guitar quite a lot. Love the chime. I've been searching for an electric 12-string for years and I've played every one I could get my hands on including every commercially available Ric. There is a shop in town that stocks most of them. Although I love the tone of the Rics and appreciate the quality, I simply found them very difficult to play. The neck widths are very thin. I have relatively small to average sized hands and still struggled to play them. I even tried the 660/12 which has a wider neck. It was wider but also fatter in the feel of the back of the neck. I didn't like it either. Now, this is all relative of course, because if you have huge hands, there are probably some chord voicings you could play with a Ric that wouldn't be possible with other guitars. Here is something else I didn't like. Every Ric I've tried, despite the innovative headstock design all felt neck heavy and tended to droop. Most electric 12-strings have this issue, some worse than others. I know people love Rics and that's great. I am also aware of some folks that can't stand them. My advice is to try one or as many as you can.

In my search for 12-string electrics, I started with an Ibanez AR112 that I scored on ebay awhile back. I've played Ibanez guitars my entire musical life so it seemed like a reasonable choice. I love the sound of this guitar; thick and bright. The neck scale is 24.75 inch, is thin in the back and feels comfortable. However, this guitar is incredibly heavy. In fact, it has to be the heaviest guitar I own. It is also very neck heavy and unbalanced. It has an absurd tendency to flop down, particularly so when played standing up with a strap. I picked up a used Schecter CSH12. This guitar has a 25.5 inch neck scale and is very comfortable to play. The neck width felt great and the back was just a tad thicker than the Ibanez. The guitar is a hollowbody and as such lighter. It is very well balanced. The neck never droops when played with a strap. The downside is the stock pickups are garbage. I replaced them almost immediately with Duncan P-rails. This made a tremendous difference in sound. I think for the money (you can still find the CSH12 used for $400 to $600) these are an excellent value with the understanding that you will most likely desire to change the pickups. However, I still wasn't satisfied. The Schecter CSH112 still had a kind of midrange darkness, warmth or for lack of better words "insufficient clarity" to the tone I didn't feel was optimal for me. I prefer a bright crisp and full tone with clarity. Yes, I'm picky. LOL! The Schecter is a good instrument I have used for playing live and for recording. It works fine in these contexts. You can hear both of these guitars on the song "Strange New World" from my solo album. The Schecter was used for the rhythm tracks and the Ibanez AR112 was used for the 12-string guitar solo. I recorded the guitar direct with an AXE-FX Ultra. Here's the link. Music - Timelight

Awhile back I had the chance to play a Carvin DC127-12 in a shop in San Francisco. I noticed immediately that it was by far the easiest to play. It also had the clarity and fullness I wanted. The neck width is wide and the back of the neck is flat. The stock electronics were ideal as I like to split pickups to single coils, mix and match with humbuckers and also run sometime out of phase. The Carvin can do all this. Stock. I decided to order a DC127-12 from Carvin with exactly the woods, pickups, fretboard, frets, hardware, finish, etc. I desired. I received the guitar last week. It sounds fantastic and the build quality is superb. The neck is the most comfortable 12-string I've ever played, even better than the one I tried in the shop. The neck doesn't droop. Perfect. I am completely happy with this instrument and it is now my main 12-string electric. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks a lot guys - this is such a great forum, lots of good inputs here. I just got back from picking up the Gretsch - I got a good price for an almost new guitar in sunburst, and when I tried it the Gretsch "spoke" to me - it was irresistable ;-)

I will let you know how I feel about it when I´ve settled in a bit with it, maybe post some pics. Thanks again for the great advice, this is my first experience with a 12-string ever, so you all gave valuable pointers for the future!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom