Advice on dealing with FAMC

coldstar

Just soliciting some advice on what to do in my situation. Some background:

I bought a LF+ 12+ in the summer of 2014, but it sat unused in its box for nearly another year until I had the rest of my rig together. Once I started using it, I kept having connection errors and configuration problems and eventually contacted FAMC support.

FAMC, by their own admission, bungled the support request. Their ticketing system wasn't notifying them properly, so tickets didn't get answered. When they did finally answer, it took over a month of back and forth to diagnose a simple problem: the MIDI device ID for the AxeFX had to say "AxeFXXL" instead of "AxeFXII". Since the LF manual is totally out of date, there was no other way for me to know this.

With that resolved, another problem became apparent - one of the button LCDs doesn't display text. So I made another ticket. Again it went unanswered for 10 days, until I created yet another ticket to complain that no one was answering the first one. When they answered, I made it clear wasn't really interested in sending it back to them for repair (lord knows how long that would take, from Canada, no less) so the service rep sent me instructions to take the unit apart so that I could take picture of the problematic LCD module.

I followed their instructions and took pictures for them. The LCD module did not appear loose in its socket, so FAMC decided to ship me a replacement LCD, which arrived about a month ago. I notified them that I had received it and asked for installation instructions. After another two weeks of silence ("sorry, we just found this ticket") they answered, but told me to just follow the instructions from before... except those were to take a picture of the LCD module, not install a new one. So I told them that those were not the right instructions, and asked for the correct ones.

Silence again. I created another ticket. This time, I got a snippy response telling me that they'd already responded 3 times and sent me the instructions. All they've done thus far though, is cut & paste the same diagnostic instructions over and over while insisting that they are the installation instructions. I responded, told them they were wrong, and they had better send the correct instructions or I would just send the whole unit back and demand a refund.

Silence - another 11 days. Which brings us to now.

At this point, I don't even want the LF anymore - every step of dealing with both it and FAMC has been agonizing. I have no confidence in the company, or the product. Should I just send it back and ask for a refund? Do a chargeback on my credit card?

This is uncharted waters for me - I've never dealt with a company with communication problems this severe. Any advice?

Your options are likey very limited. Don't know laws with implicit/explicit warranty however this is a large timeline and if you send back without a pre-authorization you may be out the unit and money you spent for it. Charge backs are normally time sensitive within 60-120 days unless otherwise noted and possibly with exceptions for unauthorized fraud. Sorry to hear your troubles and lack of anything helpful here. Maybe there is a local electronics/TV repair shop that could perform the swap for you? Good luck!

Sorry to see you are having these issues coldstar, unfortunately this seems to be a common theme for FAMC. I had an issue with my Mini and it needed to be sent away and communication was like pulling teeth. My advice, sell it and get what you can for it then get something else. It's a bummer, I really want to like the company but it always seems to be one thing or another.

For now, I don't need more than the Mini that I have but when I do, I'll grab either an MFC, or if I really require displays and programmability, I'll cough up the extra dough and grab an RJM Mastermind. At least I'll know that the support is there if needed.

Back
Top Bottom