Advice needed on Prince - Let's Go Crazy

guitarjim

Experienced
I've been struggling with this one for a few days. I can usually get close by researching what rig the artist uses and then using my ears from there, but there's not a lot of information out there on this one. I've been using the SOLO-99 Lead as the amp. For effects, I've been trying all sorts of flanger settings with various drives and I cannot even get close to that super-saturated, fuzzy guitar sound.

Any thoughts on an approach would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - Here's a snippet so you can hear what I'm trying to get to without digging the track up for yourself...

Last edited:
(Though it's not in the clip...) I believe the solo has some 'nasty' wah in it predominately amongst other things .

You might find this usefully too...

pedals2indigo.jpg

2i1laaw.jpg

princesetup.jpg

I hope that helps....

Cheers!

I don't think a lot of that info Sharka posted is going to help you if you are looking to reproduce the tones from the original recording, as a lot of the gear Sharka posted did not exist in 1983-1984 when Prince's Purple Rain album was being recorded. The Mesa Lonestar, Whammy pedal, Line 6 pedal, etc.

I know Prince has used a lot of that BOSS stuff for years but I don't know what sort of amps he was using back in the 80s. Prince used a Bradshaw rig for about a minute at one point, but then went back to pedals on the floor because he likes to reach down and tweak the pedals during shows.

I don't think a lot of that info Sharka posted is going to help you if you are looking to reproduce the tones from the original recording, as a lot of the gear Sharka posted did not exist in 1983-1984 when Prince's Purple Rain album was being recorded. The Mesa Lonestar, Whammy pedal, Line 6 pedal, etc.

I know Prince has used a lot of that BOSS stuff for years but I don't know what sort of amps he was using back in the 80s. Prince used a Bradshaw rig for about a minute at one point, but then went back to pedals on the floor because he likes to reach down and tweak the pedals during shows.

OK, despite what gear he may or may not have had available to him, what are you ears telling you when you listen to that clip. I thought I was hearing flange and fuzz, but I can't get close to it.

I swear I have heard that phased out tone coming from the few zoom products I used to own. The zoom driver(the big black brick shithouse pedal with orange rubber feet). The original zoom box had a similar hollowed out sound. Try an extremely short delay 20 ms set to one repeat and mix it in to unity. I don't know, but this sure is fun. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

I seem to remember an interview that said he used a Bassman on a lot of recordings. Since I used to play that song in an 80's funk band I messed around with it one day. I'm not a tone copier but it sounded pretty close with a '59 Bassman + chorus + treble boost + wah pedal (for the solo). With the wah I just toed the pedal back until it it was on and left it there for the middle solo. It sounds like he's also using an octave pedal (fuzz maybe?) on this.

Back
Top Bottom