Advice needed - MacBook Pro

simeon

Axe-Master
i just bought a 2012 macbook pro on the evilbay and it has the gpu problem that is common with these machines.
i've installed a little app that let's me choose which of the two gpu's to use and "heaven" which is used to stress test the graphics. every time i run it on the discrete nvdia 650m it crashes because of a kernel panic, but the integrated intel 4000 seems to be ok.
i'm not going to be using the machine for any heavy graphics work, so potentially i could leave it set on the intel and be fine.
the seller has offered me a return, but the machine is good otherwise and i've just spent two days reformatting the ssd, doing a fresh install of high sierra, installing all the apps i need and creating some ableton live sets.

do i send it back for a refund, or not? will i run into more problems later? a few years down the line i'll want to upgrade again and i'll have to be honest about the problem, which concerns me...it will have little resale value...

what do you think? send it back?

Sorry. Send it back. Especially if the seller is agreeing with all of that.

I mean if you run the intel always I gueeeeeeessssss it’s ok? But that GPU is there for a reason.

I had an affected MBP I think for a different major graphics issue around 2008? Sent it back for a repair and it was golden from that point. You just don’t know what will happen you know?

Do you have a spare hard drive or a partition? I use an free old app called SuperDuper which will clone the hard drive in the computer exactly. Then get any new computer and copy that cloned drive and boom instantly have all the work you did just now. I know there are newer apps with the same functionality but SuperDuper still works for me.

yes, i'm familiar with superduper. i'll have to find out if i can back up to a folder, as i don't have an empty partition anywhere.

Not exactly analogous, but a few years ago my iMac graphics started to flake out and at first it was just occasional flickering which eventually resulted in longer screen black outs for several seconds but eventually culminated in a screen black out with flickering psychedelic colors. It was unusable at this point. Inquiries about repairs from both Apple authorized and others indicated it was more cost effective to buy a new one. All this to say, when I've had Macs die, they die hard. I'd send it back.

yeah, i think you're right

i can create a partition on an old HD to clone it
If you have an external hard drive, you could just back it up with Time Machine. Super simple, and you can restore it to another computer easily. I’ve restored backups of MacBook Pros to other MacBook Pros, and even a MacBook Air to a MacBook Pro. Also, if the price was really good, it might be worth checking with the Apple Store first on whether or not it’s covered under a repair program.

no it's too old. they did do a three year repair program for them, but it's from 2012, so it's expired.

i'm well on my way - i've backed it up, erased the drive and it's just finishing a clean install of high sierra. once that's done, i'll be packing it up and sending it back.

Had one also with the same problem (2011 pro though). I was able to have it repaired under apples free program they had a while back for known gpu issues and it has worked fine ever since. Have a friend with the same macbook, he didn't get his fixed in time under apples program and it just recently became 100% useless now as it finally puked completely. Anyway. I guess my point is, if fixed properly, should be fine for a long time. If not fixed, it may end up being a paper weight. You can check Apple's site to see if it's eligible to be repaired for this issue:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

thanks chad. it may possibly be eligible, but i've sent it back now, so i can't check against the serial number

I had a 2011 one that got recalled after 4 years because of the video issues. I got really lucky. They screwed up the servicing 3 times and ended up giving me a brand new 2015 model when I complained.

The mid-2012 MBP was a nice machine with lots of issues. You're better off with an even slightly more recent machine.

Zero issues with my my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Everyday use.

I should have kept my mouth shut. LOL Not an issue for over 5 years then I post the above on Friday and today I turned her on and my right speaker is blown/fuzzy. I can fix this myself though so not a big deal. Keeping my big mouth shut from now on. :)

I should have kept my mouth shut. LOL Not an issue for over 5 years then I post the above on Friday and today I turned her on and my right speaker is blown/fuzzy. I can fix this myself though so not a big deal. Keeping my big mouth shut from now on. :)
rotfl :D:p

Simeon you didn't mention if it was a retina model or the old style with CD drive. I had a 2012 2.66ghz thick book, that thing was rock solid . Mostly used it as a desktop in clamshell mode with a 27" thunderbolt display tho.

it was a retina. i know the slightly older thicker ones are quite sought after, because they're so reliable and easily upgradeable

You might pay a little bit more, but look on places like microcenter for a certified refurbed Mac. I looked at it before I ended up buying a new one (which I love.)

Back
Top Bottom