advice needed for 2 volume 1 tone on 3 pickup guitar

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
hi all,
i'm hopeless at understanding wiring diagrams and as such simply follow the wiring diagrams to the t.
i'm thinking of re-wiring my ibanez at10p (the low end andy timmons) to get 2 volumes (1 for the neck+middle and 1 for the bridge) and 1 master tone.
on searching the intrawebs, i came across two different wiring schemes:
from briggs guitars:
http://www.briggsguitars.com/www/images/Strat_JSeaval.PDF
from dimarzio:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/3h5w2v1t.pdf
can anyone help explain what is the difference between the two?

There is no functional difference. It's just a different wiring style (in the braggs schematic, the tone pot is connected to the out of the 5-way toggle, in the dimarzio schematic, the tone pot is wired directly with the vol pots).

It's a matter of taste.
The Dimarzio schematic requires less wire, the briggs one looks more clean.

Last edited:
thanks, zwiebelchen,
i can almost understand the briggs wiring, not so much the dimarzio one..
since they are the same, am inclined to go with the dimarzio scheme as it seemed more official (if there's such a thing) and my pickups are all dimarzios...

thanks, zwiebelchen,
i can almost understand the briggs wiring, not so much the dimarzio one..
since they are the same, am inclined to go with the dimarzio scheme as it seemed more official (if there's such a thing) and my pickups are all dimarzios...
As I said, they are functioning basicly the same. The briggs-one just uses the 5-way toggle as a common "soldering hub", so that no wires go directly from poti to poti. This makes maintenance or replacing a poti a bit easier later. If you don't plan to replace potis in the near future, you can go with the dimarzio schematic to save some work (also, less soldering = less likelyhood for intermittent connection).

The reason why the dimarzio seems a bit more confusing is that the crossing point between the white wires at the bridge volume pot is actually a real cross-joint (all 3 wire ends are soldered to the pot pin there) and not just one wire going over the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom