Advice, if your touring/gigging, or just impatient, order a spare PS

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
PS died on my Axe (mkII version) tonight. Just heard a pop/static sound, and unit went totally dead. Characteristic of a dead power supply.

Pretty easy item to swap out, just unplug a couple of ribbon connectors and drop in the new one, takes about 2 minutes or less and no special tools.

HOWEVER, I don't have a spare, so I ordered one from Mouser $42 and $8 shipping (Fractal is $40 plus $15 shipping, also a good route to go) kicker though is that with the 4th of July holiday weekend, I can't get the part (even if I paid big money for express shipping) until Tuesday the 5th at the soonest.

So that means I'm without my Axe for the next 5 days. I'll live, but if I had a gig this weekend, I'd be sunk. Given the time it takes to get a spare, I'd advise buying a spare to carry with you if your heading out on the road.

Just like you'd carry spare tubes for a hardware amp, I think its worth spending $50 to have a spare PS for the rare event it fails. Not likely to fail, but it can happen.

If I had a spare, I'd of had my Axe up and running in less time that it took me to post this message.

So before heading out, I'm packing spare strings, cables, backup rig option, and a spare PS for the Axe. Might not head of any and all issues, but if and when you need one, its nice to have the part on hand.

I wish Fractal would sell the EEPROMs as well. Having that, a battery and the PS in my parts storage would be nice.

Yep. I have a spare PS and the boot EPROM in my gig bag. Hope to never need either, but a wise $50 investment just for the peace of mind knowing I did what I could. I really need to buy a backup rig to be truly prepared. I'll try that on the wife for an AX8.

I wish I could get one (EPROM) shipped to New Zealand. They aren't available to us here. And I know it'll take at least a week to get one sent (if I could even order one) which will be a killer if I need it while on a tour.

Come on fractal, how about letting some of the spare parts be sent internationally.

I had just assumed they don't have them as there is nothing on their web site about them. But I could give it a shot.

Hm, yes. It could be worth a try and open a support ticket, to see if FAS would sell an EPROM even if your Axe-Fx has no problem now but just to be prepared...

Yup I had a power supply go at a gig myself with my II a few years back. Wish I would have had the PS then. Used a simple backup rig for the night but for how easy the PS is to swap its definitely worth having. More importantly though, everyone should have some kind of backup solution.

They do: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Parts_p/svc-parts1.htm :) In the drop down list look for "Axe-Fx II Recovery Boot ROM".
Does anyone know if this recovery ROM comes preloaded with firwmare, or is it blank? If I had to guess, I'd think they have some version of f/w on them (and a user could always install that ROM in their Axe-FX and bring it up to current f/w release, then take it out again (but now up to speed and ready to go). Also, can anyone confirm whether this can be ordered *without* opening a support ticket? I guess I could always open a support ticket with "problem description = need a backup recovery boot ROM because, well, because shit happens".

so I ordered one from Mouser $42 and $8 shipping (Fractal is $40 plus $15 shipping, also a good route to go)
Do you happen to have a part model/number? I'd like to find a source in Canada (though I may end up having to get it from Mouser).

Thanks, y'all!

Does anyone know if this recovery ROM comes preloaded with firwmare, or is it blank? If I had to guess, I'd think they have some version of f/w on them (and a user could always install that ROM in their Axe-FX and bring it up to current f/w release, then take it out again (but now up to speed and ready to go). Also, can anyone confirm whether this can be ordered *without* opening a support ticket? I guess I could always open a support ticket with "problem description = need a backup recovery boot ROM because, well, because shit happens".
I ordered one and it says it shipped with a tracking number. I should have it Tuesday.

Dunno if G66 (the Europe FAS dealer) have spare parts...
Just in case... why you ppl @ G66 don't think to a "Axe Fx Spare Parts Pack" (powerl supply, battery and EPROM)?
Take my money... and do it!!!

The battery is just a CR2450. Here in the States, you can pick them up just about everywhere... even a lot of gas stations.

Back
Top Bottom