Advice for using Axe-Edit III on several computers?

Cacofonix

Hi,
I recently got a couple of new computers (1 laptop and 1 desktop, both Windows 10) and I want to have Axe Edit III installed on all of them. In addition I intend to keep my initial installation and setup on my Macbook. However, I am a bit cautious since I don't want to overwrite/loose any of my presets etc. Do you guys have a procedure to recommend in such a case? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Use cloud storage: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud...something like that. I store my presets in OneDrive\Fractal Audio\Workspace. What I save to one computer gets saved to all computers.

Question: How does your AXE-Edit III software handle the "Global Settings" directory when mapping all the other directories to OneDrive? I've been wanting to setup the exact same approach using OneDrive as my primary "Source" directory for syncing with Laptop and Desktop workstations. My only concern is that I'd like to be able to point my Global Settings to a folder in the same cloud storage directory rather than have separate/unique instance on each workstation.

Have you found these "local Global Settings" to create any issues when switching between workstations?

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 4.09.36 PM.png
use

Have you found these "local Global Settings" to create any issues when switching between workstations?

View attachment 86618
use
I don't know, because I haven't tried, because I don't see any advantage to doing that.

I think each instance should have its own global settings folder. What if you update Axe-Edit on one machine? Now you potentially have incompatible global settings until you update the editor on the other machine.

I don't know, because I haven't tried, because I don't see any advantage to doing that.

I think each instance should have its own global settings folder. What if you update Axe-Edit on one machine? Now you potentially have incompatible global settings until you update the editor on the other machine.
My apologies. Please allow me to clarify. If you've already successfully tested and verified mapping all of your Workspace directories (Snapshots, Library and Preset Templates) to a OneDrive cloud storage folder, I would imagine that the advantage of also being able to store the "Global Settings" directory within that same OneDrive location would enable a 100% consistency between each workstation (whether editing on a laptop or desktop system).

These appear to be the only files that live inside the "Global Settings" directory, yet I would image that if you've done any personal customization (as I have) with color-assignments and Axe-Edit III.settings, then in theory there would be two completely different Global Settings directories, one on each system. Seems like being able to store these settings in the cloud (in additional to everything else) would be the easiest and most consistent solution, yet since we're unable to change that path, I was just wondering how that might impact any custom global settings when moving between two systems. I suppose, maybe if the custom settings are duplicated on each system first and then left alone. It might work?

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 11.24.00 PM.png

Yes, it might work. But it also might cause incompatibility and unpredictable behavior if an update changes how those configuration files are written, and you don't update every instance on every computer.

But I've never tried it myself, so all I can give you is conjecture.

Back
Top Bottom