Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

I’m starting to think seriously about that. The Primos are very expensive, but I have my eye on this one which is about a third of the price of the Primo, but twice the price of my Weber.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Barbecues-Smokers/Pit-Boss-24-61cm-Kamado-Grill-Ceramic-BBQ-Cover/p/1143311

You would love it. The ceramics tend to control the heat more evenly etc. I chose the Primo Oval because of the shape. It lends it self well to cooking direct and indirect at the same time. Outrageously expensive though but just a once in a lifetime buy.

Last edited:
I’m sold, my birthday is coming up and the Axe3 is not available in the UK yet!

I love my indirect cooking, I do it in the sun and rain over here all year round!

Sorry @1poorplayer, didn’t mean to hijack your grill thread with a ceramic kettle discussion!

Nice Grill! However, don't be afraid to branch out into everything. I use the following:

Ceramic Kamado - Mainly for Smoking Pork, Ribs, Pizza, or anything where I want a real fire
Electric Smoker - Pork Butts, Ribs and I'm feeling especially lazy
Gas Grill - Hot dogs, Burgers, Vegetables. Wife Zone
Sous-Vide - Filet Mignon, Pork Tenderloins. When I'm being a perfectionist.
Truth is, each type of cooking is different and yields something unique. I vary what I'm using based on whatever my mood ring is telling me. :)

I had been contemplating a ceramic big green egg style thing as an upgrade to my good, old Weber kettle. But now I'm wondering about a Traeger pellet grill. Their Pro series looks attractive. I like the large surface area for spreading on ribs and brisket. And the computer to maintain the temperature means an overnight smoke wouldn't need frequent wake-ups to stoke the fire.

Hmm...

Just ordered a Pitt Barrel Cooker yesterday to serve as my smoker. I was considering electric and pellet. Electric was tempting but I wanted something more towards wood/charcoal. A pellet sounds nice, and a BGE sounds incredible but I really wasn't ready to spend that much.

For $300, the PBC gets incredible reviews and can even be portable if needed.

Looking forward to smoking a slab of ribs this coming Monday!

I used a Weber kettle charcoal grill and several others over the years. My Weber Genesis propane has served me well for many years and will continue to be a part of my almost daily usage. Very convenient and better than the stove - year round.

This PBC will be a nice addition.

I had been contemplating a ceramic big green egg style thing as an upgrade to my good, old Weber kettle. But now I'm wondering about a Traeger pellet grill. Their Pro series looks attractive. I like the large surface area for spreading on ribs and brisket. And the computer to maintain the temperature means an overnight smoke wouldn't need frequent wake-ups to stoke the fire.

Hmm...

My neighbor has a Traeger. Loves it. I chose my Primo Oval over the Green egg because the oval shape makes the indirect/direct so easy. That along with the following temperature control system and it's almost a brainless operation. The DIGIQ is made to attach to most popular models of BBQ's and controls the heat with a fan. Works great for slow cooks.

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=22

I really like the griddle in the OP too and am divinely going to put the smaller on in my table along side the Primo.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/dirty-steak-352992

I was 50 years old before I learned how to properly grill a steak. This is addictive. Carcinogens be damned!

Just make sure to use hardwood charcoal.

Similarly, after many forgettable filets on the grill, a little research led me to seering them in a cast iron skillet, deglaze with red wine or cognac, and finishing in the oven. And the secret ingredient - butter. Gives Ruth's Chris a run for the money.

While this doesn't scratch that open-fire caveman itch, it does impress the ladies!

My neighbor has a Traeger. Loves it. I chose my Primo Oval over the Green egg because the oval shape makes the indirect/direct so easy. That along with the following temperature control system and it's almost a brainless operation. The DIGIQ is made to attach to most popular models of BBQ's and controls the heat with a fan. Works great for slow cooks.

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=22

I really like the griddle in the OP too and am divinely going to put the smaller on in my table along side the Primo.
Decided to stick with the kettle for now. I ordered this: https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

I think after summer is over and sales hit I’ll pick up the really big Smokey Mountain smoker. I have this idea for making my own temperature controller for one of those with an Arduino.

Gotta stick with what I know.

Doing a huge brisket this weekend but I’m going to sous vide it for 36 hours and then finish it for a few hours on the kettle. Should be good. Sous vide meat is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom