advice for a PC user who will switch to MAC in his studio / hackintosh??

unFILTERed

Power User
i have been working sice years with PCs but feel like time to switsch to mac.
does anyone have experience with HACKINTOSH. would it make sense?

right now i am using a AMD 6 core processor with 16gb ram and the performance is actualy good enough for what i do.
i might also think of mac pro, macbook pro, imac or mac mini....too many options :)

If you need a Mac for your purposes. just invest in a Mac. You wont regret it and they keep their 2nd hand value to a certain extent.

If you current rig works for you, why switch? Don't switch because other people use it, or because "you are supposed to use it", or one is better than the other, etc. Use what works best for you!

I moved a year ago from europe to states and any studio i was in here works with mac and i want to write music for tv and film...anyone i know doingthis is also on mac...sooner or later i know i will switch.

I wanted to use or at least try the Mac Os but wanted a laptop with at least two drives, easy upgradeable and upgrades at reasonable prices.
I looked at the DAW laptops from V Music Pro.
They claim they are fully Mac OsX compatible.

I wanted to use or at least try the Mac Os but wanted a laptop with at least two drives, easy upgradeable and upgrades at reasonable prices.
I looked at the DAW laptops from V Music Pro.
They claim they are fully Mac OsX compatible.

They can't be. Apple has much more advanced power management than PCs, and OS X only has drivers for Apple power management, not for ACPI typically found in PCs. IIRC Hackintoshes just run your CPU and other components with "null" power management driver, which means they run full tilt all the time. In a desktop that would be somewhat more acceptable (except you'd be risking to end up with an unbootable system after each OS update), but in a laptop - not so much. You'd have the battery life worse than on Windows (which is already piss poor compared to the Mac).

Apple's official upgrade story on the desktop is USB3 and Thunderbolt, and RAM upgrades (in desktops, laptops come with RAM soldered to the board). Laptops are purpose built to be, well, laptops. Sturdy, thin, powerful machines with excellent battery life, so all the space that was previously used by hard drives and optical disks is taken up by the battery now.

Apple basically uses the Rolls Royce pricing philosophy: "Quality remains when price is long forgotten." You can't get that kind of quality elsewhere, at any price, but if you need to tinker under the hood, a Mac laptop will likely disappoint, and you should stick with Windows instead. It will be creaky and plasticky, it'll have noisy fans, crappy screen and poor battery life (or decent battery life and weak processor), but other than that it'll work fine for just about anything, and you'll be able to upgrade the hard drive and RAM.

I think i will go for a macbook pro i7 quad core 2.6 or 2.7 with 16gb ram and 500ssd
Shouldnt be weaker than my amd x6 2.0, 16gb setup? Any ideas about the comparison?

Back
Top Bottom