Advice appreciated!!

Hello all,

Currently I'm running a late 2013 MBP retina with Yosemite. I have an Axe Ultra, scarlett 2i2 interface (and also an M audio midi interface cable), and garageband until I finish my research and decide which DAW is right for me. I also use a EBMM Axis, with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge pos. I've attempted a few recordings and overall its simplest for me to say that I am not satisfied with the quality of my recordings. I've played with various eq's both on the Axe front panel, and from inside of my DAW. Things just don't seem to be "clear" enough, and palm mutes sound a little plastic like..

I'm just in search of some custom advice geared towards my current set up. Where to start on the right track?...

Not familiar with GarageBand but I know there is still a wiki page for the ultra that has tips and various information that might help you find the sound your looking for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of recording!

the first question that cross my mind is what speakers do you use ?
and are you double tracking?
have you try to tweet tone by re-amping your guitar?

I don't have any flat frequency monitors yet so sadly I'm monitoring through my Sony consumer speakers but even through a pair of headphones I still feel as though I'm not adjusting patches correctly. I don't know how to re-amp? Also I've read about guys recording through both input one and two of the 2i2 interface.. would like some general info on different techniques. I listen to a lot of progressive music so that's the direction I'm trying to head.

Double tracking - recording two separate tracks and panning far left/right yes I am doing this!!

By consumer speakers, do you mean simple computer desk speakers that you buy at a garage sale for $5, or a home stereo? I ask because you may need a more powerful set up. Even while recording direct, the Axe FX will acoustically react with your guitar, and sound different when using pitiful speakers and/or headphones.

What are you using in the cab block? The cab IR(s) will make a big difference and finding the right one(s) can take away a lot of the extra EQ work. If you're having to go crazy with the EQs in the Axe and in the DAW, I'd say work more with your amp and cab blocks. Pick something you like the sound of and go back and forth between that and your sound (listening to both through the same speakers/headphones).

Rockits are ok monitors. They're missing that certain je ne sais quoi. I have a set of Adam F7's, and they are pretty awesome. If you can reach that high, I'd go with Adam A7x's.

I put my Axe FX ultra direct into a MacBook without using any interface and garage band seems to work fine. I am just starting to learn Logic Pro which seems ok if you are used to Garage Band. For monitors just a set of M-Audio Av42 seem to be ok for now.

Last edited:
A big part of the sound is what monitors you use. Even if you don't have monitors, or have monitors you like, it may be a good idea to go to a store and see if you can sample some nice monitors. Then you can compare the sound of some high end speakers and see what your tone is missing. Also having a good pair of headphones can be a great alternative to monitors.

How can you run your Ultra straight into a Mac without an interface? You can't record audio with MIDI cables I didn't think??.. I read a lot about a passive D/I box as well.. Is this something I should consider?

You are correct, recording audio through midi is not possible with the ultra. Perhaps he has a spdif input on his Mac?

For the price rokits are decent monitors. Are they the best? No but mine have served me well for 9 years and have been well used/abused with no issues. Also, the ultra does sound fairly different through headphones but you need a good set and may have to tweak specifically for them.

That being said, I have patches that work well With my headphones, rockits, and my EV elx112p cab. What helped me the most was getting some patches from yek, don Peterson, and the othe gurus that shared their patches and entire banks. I went through them and pulled ones that sounded good from the start and then tweaked them. Even after having my ultra for years these guys' patches can run circles around mine lol. A bunch were just recently posted in the ultra forums and I suggest you try them out.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom