Adventures in Impulse Responses.. reviews.. I laughed, I cried.. it was better than "Cats"

I have been on a mission to find IRs of Weber speakers. So far I have found their Blue Dog 12" (RedWirez) and their Blue Pup 10" (OwnHammer), but I am always looking for more.

some years ago, i've built a Twin Tweed 5F8A HP from a kit, of tube amp doctor (germany) and i loaded it with X2 Weber W12A150,
this are some IR i shooted last summer with my Axe FX IIXL if you are interested,
cheers

Attachments

• Weber_W12A150_Speakers.zip
    808.7 KB · Views: 26
some years ago, i've built a Twin Tweed 5F8A HP from a kit, of tube amp doctor (germany) and i loaded it with X2 Weber W12A150,
this are some IR i shooted last summer with my Axe FX IIXL if you are interested,
cheers
@Joe Bfstplk will appreciate the heck out of those (he's been looking for weber speaker irs) and I appreciate them too! awesome sauce! really appreciate you sharing!

This are some photos of this project,

since I built this amp, I bought my first Axe FXIIXL in 2015, so I gave the tweed to my father, who is very satisfied with it!
and now that i have the AxeFXIII, i will offer my II to my uncle who is my first guitar teacher!!

Attachments

• D94A5043.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 20
  • D94A5065.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 12

since I built this amp, I bought my first Axe FXIIXL in 2015, so I gave the tweed to my father, who is very satisfied with it!
and now that i have the AxeFXIII, i will offer my II to my uncle who is my first guitar teacher!!
Looks great! My Simone amp was built in a Weber kit chassis, with a custom circuit I designed, incorporating the 5E3 Deluxe in one channel and a combination of the AC15 Vox and vintage Orange ideas (similar to the DC30 EF86 channel, it turns out) in the other. Output goes through a Weber AlNiCo Grey Wolf.

20190923_124835.jpg

wow, that is a beauty. I have much respect for folks who've built tube amps. have always wanted to and I've built some pretty complicated pedals... but admittedly - I fear the combo of me, my absent-mindedness, and high voltage!

Looks great! My Simone amp was built in a Weber kit chassis, with a custom circuit I designed, incorporating the 5E3 Deluxe in one channel and a combination of the AC15 Vox and vintage Orange ideas (similar to the DC30 EF86 channel, it turns out) in the other. Output goes through a Weber AlNiCo Grey Wolf.

20190923_124835.jpg
looks like a sweet build there too. do you play your axe thru that? I use a couple of humble peavey classic series power amps.

looks like a sweet build there too. do you play your axe thru that? I use a couple of humble peavey classic series power amps.

No, I play it direct through a pair of KRK Rokit8 powered monitors. Been thinking about auditioning the SpaceStation XL with my AxeFX, if I can find one anywhere near Phoenix. It does stereo from a single point, using what is essentially the mid-side mic technique in reverse: front speaker gets L+R mono summed mix, and the side speakers get L-R (the difference between the channels) to make the stereo imaging happen. With 700W total power, it ought to be loud enough....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...n-designs-center-point-stereo-spacestation-xl

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/...7308ffe/images/items/750/SpacestnXL-large.jpg

Last edited:

20190923_124835.jpg

To be honest, it was my first and only electronic construction project!
Before I started, I met an old man who was a radio technician in the French navy in the 1950s, who taught me to build this amp in safe conditions,
because if you do not know what you're doing, it could kill you! ! 400v of direct current !!!

and he gave me some old book to learn the radio tube techno, and you know what, I'm a dick in math!!! really!!

my first try was a disaster, because I accidentally shunted the input diode,
and capacitors who do not like AC have exploded with a big fog on my desk !!

the second build was correct, but the carbon resistors produced a lot of breath, and the circuit being mounted on a support very flexible and sensitive to heat & humidity, distorted during the summer and caused short circuits!!

Finally, in 2017, while I was off, sick for a bad burn out, I took the opportunity to redo a heat resistant resin circuit,
replacing the carbon resistors with new carbon heat resistant resistors and new capacitors, and I got a much better result !!

and since then, I'm desperately trying to understand how it all works, to mix the old carbon resistors that give these distortions I love, with the new carbon resistors, which are less sensitive to heat and more resistant !!

in fact, I try to improve my circuit 5F8A HP, but without having much knowledge in electronics and math!

What a trip!!!

it's really much safer and easy, to make experiment with the Axe!!
8)

Last edited:
To be honest, it was my first and only electronic construction project!
Before I started, I met an old man who was a radio technician in the French navy in the 1950s, who taught me to build this amp in safe conditions,
because if you do not know what you're doing, it could kill you! ! 400v of direct current !!!

and he gave me some old book to learn the radio tube techno, and you know what, I'm a dick in math!!! really!!

my first try was a disaster because I accidentally shunted the two capacitors of the input circuit and the amp exploded with a big fog on my desk !!

the second build was correct, but the carbon resistances produced a lot of breath, and the circuit being mounted on a support very flexible and sensitive to heat & humidity, distorted during the summer and caused short circuits!!

Finally, in 2017, while I was off, sick for a bad burn out, I took the opportunity to redo a heat resistant resin circuit, and replacing the carbon resistances with new carbon heat resistant resistors , with new capacitors of better quality, and I got a much better result !!

and since then, I'm desperately trying to understand how it all works, to mix the old carbon resistances that give these distortions I love, with the new carbon resistances, which are less sensitive to heat and more resistant !!

in fact, I try to improve my circuit 5F8A HP, but without having much knowledge in electronics and math!

but, what a trip!!!

it's really much safer and easy, to make experiment with the Axe!!
8)
C'est un bel amplificateur!

No, I play it direct through a pair of KRK Rokit8 powered monitors. Been thinking about auditioning the SpaceStation XL with my AxeFX, if I can find one anywhere near Phoenix. It does stereo from a single point, using what is essentially the mid-side mic technique in reverse: front speaker gets L+R mono summed mix, and the side speakers get L-R (the difference between the channels) to make the stereo imaging happen. With 700W total power, it ought to be loud enough....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...n-designs-center-point-stereo-spacestation-xl

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/...7308ffe/images/items/750/SpacestnXL-large.jpg
I actually have been playing thru my monitors a lot... the tube pwr/real speaker is not as authentic but it sure scratches an itch once in a while.
that take on stereo... someone else in here had a very cool cab for that... had an odd port that forced sound out the sides if I recall correct. is an interesting take on things.

Does anyone know if you can turn off the power amp simulation in the axe fx 3 so that I can use the sigma audio IRs based on the sweeps being amplified with a guitar head? Or what is the best way to do it? Because most IR companies have versions sent with a guitar head and I understand this not to be a correct way of doing it. But maybe it is the correct way because recordings of mics on cabs are normally done powered by guitar heads.
is that the most realistic sounding way when the IRs are based on the real guitar head amplifying the sweep?
Or is the high end power amp option more ideal?

Does anyone know if you can turn off the power amp simulation in the axe fx 3 so that I can use the sigma audio IRs based on the sweeps being amplified with a guitar head? Or what is the best way to do it? Because most IR companies have versions sent with a guitar head and I understand this not to be a correct way of doing it. But maybe it is the correct way because recordings of mics on cabs are normally done powered by guitar heads.
is that the most realistic sounding way when the IRs are based on the real guitar head amplifying the sweep?
Or is the high end power amp option more ideal?
Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? I've read your post 3 times and I don't understand...

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? I've read your post 3 times and I don't understand...

Unfortunately there is no clearer way for me to word the post. If I tried to explain you would probabily run into another dead end.

With that said, I am on the hunt for good Impulses because its almost impossible to find good ones in this industry. Mostly because people making them are using mediocre power amps, horrible converters, and colored preamps to sweep and capture them which in this business is not a good idea if one is trying to attain realism.

We can already accept the fact that we won't achieve the airy sound because thats physically impossible when playing through an IR and aren't capturing a cab with a mic while playing and instead playing a modeler signal to an impulse, no matter how accurate to the amp circuit the model is.
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get good sound from IRs so that part should really be maximized in quality of production.

I will try out Lancaster I guess.

With that said, I am on the hunt for good Impulses because its almost impossible to find good ones in this industry. Mostly because people making them are using mediocre power amps, horrible converters, and colored preamps to sweep and capture them which in this business is not a good idea if one is trying to attain realism.
I think many here would disagree with you...

What IRs vendors have you tried?

Unfortunately there is no clearer way for me to word the post. If I tried to explain you would probabily run into another dead end.

We can already accept the fact that we won't achieve the airy sound because thats physically impossible when playing through an IR and aren't capturing a cab with a mic while playing and instead playing a modeler signal to an impulse, no matter how accurate to the amp circuit the model is.
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get good sound from IRs so that part should really be maximized in quality of production.

I will try out Lancaster I guess.
You don’t want to use IRs with power amp coloration if you’re going for accuracy. Since amp modelers and real amps already have power amp coloration built in, using IRs with with additional power amp color will add frequencies that skew the realism and end up sounding boomy and fizzier.

Back
Top Bottom