Adventures in Impulse Responses.. reviews.. I laughed, I cried.. it was better than "Cats"

Just noticed that Lancaster also has the SuperDrive IR which is the real amp I was using before Fractal.

Had never heard of Lancaster before... Apparently a couple of the guys who started Rosen left and created 3 Sigma and Rosen changed their name to Lancaster.

I've heard good things about the 3 Sigma bass IRs. The handful of guitar cab IRs I bought from them before were not impressive to me at all...

Hmmm... :)
well, as I stated above you don't get many ir for the money, but what I did get was def nice sounding. Please let us all know how you like them.

My favorites 👍
trying the 8x10 marshall right now. first impressions... no central doc to tell me what the mic positions are, but mics are clearly marked and plenty of files to pic from, lots of dif mics (68files total). not sure what some of the mics are x1r? sounds nice tho. these are well recorded and this cab is def a unique sound. not sure if it's the recording process or the speaker but despite dark mics like md441/421: not overly bassy. little disappointed there isn't an r121 in here but..I guess the x1r is a substitute. nice gentle mids and highs are nice - not too bright... just right. I would def rank the quality with the best I've heard.

Will def try more - the 'wedge' has sparked my interest. anywho...

trying the 8x10 marshall right now. first impressions... no central doc to tell me what the mic positions are, but mics are clearly marked and plenty of files to pic from, lots of dif mics (68files total). not sure what some of the mics are x1r? sounds nice tho. these are well recorded and this cab is def a unique sound. not sure if it's the recording process or the speaker but despite dark mics like md441/421: not overly bassy. little disappointed there isn't an r121 in here but..I guess the x1r is a substitute. nice gentle mids and highs are nice - not too bright... just right. I would def rank the quality with the best I've heard.

Will def try more - the 'wedge' has sparked my interest. anywho...
If you want to dig deeper, just look at the new V2-series. There are selection folders ("my personal "best of"), midfield and farfield IRs. On the latest cabs we also used a R121 instead of an X1R.
You will find free single IRs on this forum with every V2-series cab we have released, so, it's no "risk" to buy the cat in the box. ;-)

If you want to dig deeper, just look at the new V2-series. There are selection folders ("my personal "best of"), midfield and farfield IRs. On the latest cabs we also used a R121 instead of an X1R.
You will find free single IRs on this forum with every V2-series cab we have released, so, it's no "risk" to buy the cat in the box. ;-)
right on. well... after all it was a pretty positive experience. def found some good stuff in there and I LOVE the unusual nature of the cab... not something you find every ir vendor offering. thanks for that!

anywho... folks... you still there? thought it might be fun to do an audio compare. On the downside you'd have to listen to me play guitar... on the upside you can hear several dif irs with the sm axe fx preset (Not sm ir from them... very different). in no particular order... OHG65R Deluxe, stock axe fx twin, valhalla 8x10, PV Budda, BigBox Twin. Anyone want to take a stab at the order?
(EDIT: clearly did NOT spend any time on EQ... just kind of randomly picked something and ran with it)

well... I guess i'm not going to get any guesses so... the order is BBTwin, PVBudda(subsequently removed from my collection!), valhalla8x10, stock twin and ohg65. I'd like to do some more taste tests... perhaps a more exact item across brands would elicit responses? anywho, thanks for listening!

I have been on a mission to find IRs of Weber speakers. So far I have found their Blue Dog 12" (RedWirez) and their Blue Pup 10" (OwnHammer), but I am always looking for more.
well... not entirely different... but perhaps different enough: in the ownhammer 410 bogner cab there is a 10" blue pup. just thought I'd mention.

I have been on a mission to find IRs of Weber speakers. So far I have found their Blue Dog 12" (RedWirez) and their Blue Pup 10" (OwnHammer), but I am always looking for more.
and another thing... "2x10 Hamilton-Kolby Tweed SPR-210 (Weber Sig-10S)" I'm not sure how I got this... must have been offered free somewhere? it's a folder called "cab-pack-1-wellspring-sound" and it's all axe-fx II format but they load into axefx3. it's a heck-of-a-find because these seem to be 'leftovers' from some of the other stuff in the axe - sort of extensions but there is some killer stuff in there like a 1x12hawaii?? anywho... weber sig 10s - if I can find the link I'll post it.

Cool. Can't wait to sit down with these and give them a listen. I have a code deployment tonight, so no guitar time....

based on your zeal I did try one last night and I can't say for there wasn't some amount of placebo in there... but I found it notably transparent and likeable. right in a user slot.

---------------------------------------

on another note...
[ @dr bonkers ?] - please consider my feeble minded musings: why am I not seeing more folks offering a stack cab package? I realize that as you close-mic a single speaker the influence of a second 4x12 would be ltd if not non-existent... but mixing in multiple room mics and rear mics and esp capturing one of those bottom speakers and mixing in with an angled top speaker... anything there? Even if it became a marketing gimic only (2x Jimi Hendrix SLP)... I think I would probably add it to my collection. thoughts on feasibility of capturing any difference from a 4x12?

[ @dr bonkers ?] - please consider my feeble minded musings: why am I not seeing more folks offering a stack cab package? I realize that as you close-mic a single speaker the influence of a second 4x12 would be ltd if not non-existent... but mixing in multiple room mics and rear mics and esp capturing one of those bottom speakers and mixing in with an angled top speaker... anything there? Even if it became a marketing gimic only (2x Jimi Hendrix SLP)... I think I would probably add it to my collection. thoughts on feasibility of capturing any difference from a 4x12?
@mistermikev In the beginning of starting Dr Bonkers Soundlab, I did a lot of testing of concepts for IR capture. I can't go into too many details since the field is so competitive now.

The audible differences of recording two 4x12 or 4x10 cabs on top of one another were negligible using my recording environment and techniques.

I specifically don't use room mics because, unless you are using the same room on everything else in the mix (live or recorded), the results sound disjointed to my ears, to put it kindly.

Multiple PZM captures and my figure 8 captures when mixed in with other mic IR captures can give you the depth most desire from room and back of cab mic ir files when mixed in at miserly levels while still allowing your instrument to sit well in a mix and cause no phase issues.

You can mix HypeReal mixes or or your own custom mixes together to make a virtual stack. I have a whole article and video on it here:
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/s...r-using-impulse-response-ir-files-and-mix-it/

Please forgive my guitar playing in advance.

Last edited:
@mistermikev In the beginning of starting Dr Bonkers Soundlab, I did a lot of testing of concepts for IR capture. I can't go into too many details since the field is so competitive now.

The audible differences of recording two 4x12 or 4x10 cabs on top of one another were negligible using my recording environment and techniques.

I specifically don't use room mics because, unless you are using the same room on everything else in the mix (live or recorded), the results sound disjointed to my ears, to put it kindly.

Multiple PZM captures and my figure 8 captures when mixed in with other mic IR captures can give you the depth most desire from room and back of cab mic ir files when mixed in at miserly levels while still allowing your instrument to sit well in a mix and cause no phase issues.

You can mix HypeReal mixes or or your own custom mixes together to make a virtual stack. I have a whole article and video on it here:
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/s...r-using-impulse-response-ir-files-and-mix-it/

Please forgive my guitar playing in advance.
thank you Dr B. That is more than I could have hoped for in a response. I will take it to the bank. I have observed the room phenomena and admittedly it's a ltd use capture... looking fwd to the day when we can have convo reverb in the axe!

I did read your article on this(stack), I had done similar on my own but added your notest and tried it and was pleased with the results.

With all that in mind... I suppose my new hunt will be for matching AB cabs! Anywho, I very much appreciate the details and response. I will snag another cab or two tonight but now faced with the hard decision of 'what next'.
thank you again

thank you Dr B. That is more than I could have hoped for in a response. I will take it to the bank. I have observed the room phenomena and admittedly it's a ltd use capture... looking fwd to the day when we can have convo reverb in the axe!

I did read your article on this(stack), I had done similar on my own but added your notest and tried it and was pleased with the results.

With all that in mind... I suppose my new hunt will be for matching AB cabs! Anywho, I very much appreciate the details and response. I will snag another cab or two tonight but now faced with the hard decision of 'what next'.
thank you again
The cool thing is that many of my cab mixes are compatible with each other, so if you wanted two Marshalls wtih T75 speakers to pair with a Mesa amp sim for example, you could take the Audix D6 mix and AKG D12 mix (as a pair of arbitrary miked cabs) and make a virtual stack with them.

Another approach is to mix and match cab mixes to make stacks based on sounds alone that are complementary, regardless of what it would look like in real life. Sort of like this:
kossoff.JPG
images

The cool thing is that many of my cab mixes are compatible with each other, so if you wanted two Marshalls wtih T75 speakers to pair with a Mesa amp sim for example, you could take the Audix D6 mix and AKG D12 mix (as a pair of arbitrary miked cabs) and make a virtual stack with them.

Another approach is to mix and match cab mixes to make stacks based on sounds alone that are complementary, regardless of what it would look like in real life. Sort of like this:
View attachment 58631
images
right on. In my own stack at home I have an "85 lead 800" / gt75 and a "90 1960bv" / vintage 30's so... yeah, mixing and matching is def on the menu! also it's black and red so a bit painful to stare at but I love it! might look nice next to a snakeskin soldano hehe.

View attachment 58631
images
trying the SULA right now... the d12 d6 pzm dbs... flipping HUGE. fav bass cab of all right there. just amazing. you rock.

Back
Top Bottom