Advantages & Disadvantages of Scenes Verses Presets

Pharkus

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new AX8 user and absolutely love it so far. I'm just wondering what are the advantages of using scenes as opposed to Presets. I will require a number of different sounds. For a number of different songs. These will require exact tempos for things like delays and modulation effects. I have read where the Tap Tempo button isn't available in some modes. (This may be handy to have available for any tempo fine tuning during a song. Our drummer plays to a click so this really shouldn't be critical.) I'd love to hear what your opinions are on this topic and what methods you guys are using for live use.

Thanks
Al...

Same for me. The preset is my general rig for that song (or style / group of songs / etc). So I have let's say a mid-gain Vox preset where I can then control different fx and/or scenes... then another clean Fender-style preset with a different group of fx/different drives/etc. I use scenes to switch things in and out, for example adding modulation and a bit of drive for the chorus of the song, and then adding delay and more drive for the guitar solo, etc.

Anything with a tempo should be controllable by tap tempo, which you can always keep on the F3 switch (bottom right). Since your drummer plays to a click, you can set up presets where you have the exact same tempo - i.e. if the song is at 112 bpm, you set the preset's tempo to 112. And if the band veers off, you can tap to stay in sync.

Scenes switch faster.

Effects continue to ring out when switching scenes.

Presets can change the layout and contents of the grid (scenes just turn things on / off).

scenes can morph settings (scene controller + damping).

Scenes are you friend...you can also configure footswitches in a single preset to change between 4 or 5 scenes as well as turn 3 or 4 effects on or off-controllers can be assigned for a variety of duties within a preset as well. You can use X and Y states for each block to set up a two completely different delays, amps, cabs, etc. for just one example. Using a different preset for each song or group of songs can get cumbersome...either way your switching options are vast. The integration of switching within the AX8 unit is what everybody longs for with the AXE III and the FM3 despite its smaller CPU capabilities when compared to the others.

While we're talking about scenes. How do I copy a scene from, for example preset 2 scene 2 to preset 5 scene 2. I can copy the scene but the option to paste to a scene in a different preset is not available.

Downside to scenes is that you have to remember what the scene does. I have axe2,axe3 and ax8. It’s hard. On the axe 3 I named scene 1 what scene 2 does. For the ax8 I do not have a system yet except that I try to do the same as much as possible.

I have set up presets for the entire rep. With scenes in each preset for tone changes within the song. ie Rhythm = Scene 1, Solo = Scene 2. If there are more than 2 sounds/tones required I have made the scenes in the order they are required. Oh I love the AX8!! Amazing pedal. I have used a 1970's Roland JC120 for about 40 years and the AX8 replicates the JC120 clean tone exactly like my real Roland JC120. I was using a Line 6 X3 Live for a few years and it replicated the real JC 120 pretty well. But took some tweaking to get rid of the fizz that is evident in the X3 Live until you get your head around the parametric EQ to tame that fizz. But the AX8 is just awesome.

Back
Top Bottom