advanced looping/delay settings. Help needed.

seems like not many people here are interested in looping and long delays for the Axe fx.

true, but there are enough...! :)

i'm in on this thread now. seems like you may be sorted, but if anything else comes up, hopefully i might be able to help as well as the other chaps.

sim

make sure that the delay looper is set to 100% wet, so that no dry signal passes through into the reverb

No need to set the delay 100% wet in the setup like above. It works like it should with either delay mix setting. But I set the delay 100% anyway for those loop/delay patches.
Also found out that you can have 10 seconds delay with the Multidelay if you set it to rhythm tap and set the the first tap to 10000ms and the other taps off.
It hope some upgrade to 16 seconds delay will come in the future. And 4 delayblocks. Don't think it will happen though.

You can get 16 secs now, if you run two delay blocks in series in a parallel row and connect the output of the second to the input of the first with a send return loop. Using more or different delays will get you even longer times.

true, but there are enough...! :)

i'm in on this thread now. seems like you may be sorted, but if anything else comes up, hopefully i might be able to help as well as the other chaps.

sim

Count me in there too, haven´t explored the looper in AxeII that much yet. But I have a Echoplex DPP, so I might be able to help too...

/mike

You can get 16 secs now, if you run two delay blocks in series in a parallel row and connect the output of the second to the input of the first with a send return loop. Using more or different delays will get you even longer times.

Thanks. That would be great! Can you make a screenshot of this? I am not 100% sure how you do this.

Problem Solved: get a Liquid Foot with Dynamic IAs and IA 'paging'. I can easily 'page' through all my IAs in a given patch. You can even set up a page just for the IAs concerning the 4 channels in your matrix. Dynamic IAs map two things to one IA and let you toggle between them. And it's intelligent: if a patch has only the second dynamic IA function, that's the one that is in effect. If it has two, you toggle between. And not LABELS - the LED display tells you what that IA does in THAT specific patch, on THAT specific page! Can't beat it!

Check it out here!

Thanks. That would be great! Can you make a screenshot of this? I am not 100% sure how you do this.

16sec_delay.jpg

set up both delays like in the pic

use the volume block to set the delay volume

use the return block mix level to adjust the feedback (careful, as high settings will cause self oscillation and not the nice kind)

Thanks very much! I have it setup like in your screenshot. I have 16 seconds delay time now. But I want the guitar input signal to be silent so I can only hear the delay (after 16 seconds). In this setting I can still hear my guitar input. I use the digital mono delays and have set the bypass on thru with both delays. I don't see the MIX=0% option (only thru and mute).
In your setting you have the feedback of the delay set at 0% and you adjust the feedback with the return mix? When I set the return mix to 100% I only get a few repeats. But I want to repeat the 16 seconds many times so it keeps looping. Is it also possible to set the feedback of the delays itself at higher settings? Here are two screenshots of my delay and return settings:

Afbeelding1.png

Return settings:

Afbeelding2.png

Last edited:
when you have fx in a side chain like this, you must set their mute modes to "mute in" to prevent any dry signal passing through when the effect is muted. the dry signal is also passing along the row of shunts above...do you have anything in there, like amp and cab etc? or are you running the axe as an fx only device? if you're running the axe as fx only, then you'd want to break that row of shunts above the delays

i don't know why you're only getting a few repeats...i can gat infinite. check the settings in the send block

ahah..that was the problem. I run the Axe as stand alone so I was hearing the input from the first line as well. Also I had the send levels wrong. Should the send level and send output level be both at 100%?

The bypass of both delays are still at THRU. Or should this be at MUTE IN?

This is how I have it now:

Afbeelding3.png

if you're not bypassing the delays, then it doesn't matter what the bypass mode is. that just defines what happens to the audio coming into the block when the block is bypassed.

send level should be at 100%. experiment with send output.

if you want to control the input to the delays, then you could place a volume block along the shunts before the first delay, or tie a controller to input gain on the first delay
control the output level with the volume block that's in the grid already.
control feedback level with the return block mix level
any fx you want to use to effect the loop can be dropped in the grid after the delays in that row of shunts going to the output

ok...you should be good to go...!

:)

Thanks again. Really appreciate your help! I really like the 16 seconds delay. I prefer long delays instead of the looper. You can have your loops fade out more musically with the long delays. Like Robert Fripp does. Only he is using four independent 2290 delays to do this. Which gives you much more options then with the Axe fx. If the Axe had four blocks of 16 seconds delay you could get the same results I guess.
Maybe an idea for the Axe 3? ;)

Ok, one more question:
If I want to increase the delay time even further can I just add one extra delayblock (say the multidelay) after the 2nd delay block (before the send)? You could get 26 seconds of delay when you use 2 delay blocks plus the 10 seconds of the multidelay (rhythm delay). Or do I need do something with send and return for the 3rd delay block?

no, just add more delays into the chain for longer times..in between the send and return blocks

fripp no longer uses 2290's, btw...he uses eventide stuff now

IMG5713.JPG

no, just add more delays into the chain for longer times..in between the send and return blocks

fripp no longer uses 2290's, btw...he uses eventide stuff now

IMG5713.JPG

He´s using a AX100mkII as well? Didn´t know he used MIDI PU´s / midiguitars...

/Mike

he's used the roland GR-1 for years and the Roland VG stuff. where do you think all those bell sounds come from? :)

Just occurred to me...can you get 16 seconds if you use the tape delay and set motor speed to minimum? Don't have the axe in front of me, so can't check....

Thanks for the Fripp picture. Impressive rack. I have an article from a 1999 guitar magazine where his setup was explained. Back in those days he was using four 2290's going to two Eventides. And also 3 guitar synths. What is in his rack on that picture above exactly?

Just checked the motor speed and the delay is indeed becoming 16 seconds with the motor speed at the lowest setting. You can do all sorts of weird things with motor speed. Like speeding it up causing the delay notes to pitch up and than push the hold button. Really like the creative potential the delays have. Especially with send return connections.

Last edited:
Looks like 2 H3500s, 1 Eclipse and 2 H8000s.

yeah, monster rack

he also has a GR-1 and another GR synth i can't identify on the floor and he was using a VG-8 as well (sat on top of the rack), although i haven't seen that in any recent pictures.

i was lucky enough to catch Projekct 4 at the Jazz Cafe in London when they did a week's worth of shows there and his sound was just phenomenal. i was stood right at the front, so i could see everything he was up to. right at the beginning of the gig, the guys started to groove and Fripp just sat and listened. he then punched footswitches and adjusted pedals for a while and then hit a chord. almost plastered everyone against the back wall! amazing.

Back
Top Bottom