Advanced Help needed recreating a Delay Setting (Guitar Rig 5 Psychedelay) for AX3

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
Caution : kind of advanced please be warned

I've made an old thread about this specific digital model before but to no fruition and I can't seem to perfectly nail it , thus I came here again for help

Tempo of this song is 95 bpm

KEY NOTES

-1/8th note of 95 bpm lasts 316 ms
-For L/R or Stereo time Ratio
316*1.688= 533.408 ms
316*0.688= 217.408 ms

psychedelay.jpg

I've labelled the parameters that are required

Clean Test with these settings

Manual for this module :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/918161/Ni-Guitar-Rig-2.html?page=99

Waveform Analysis:
waveform analysis.png

this picture is not accurately representative of my notes below because it is slightly out of time

My Notes on how the delay works :

The Audible trail goes like this , starting from zero milliseconds as reference

(PS:I know it's hard to feel/perceive small milliseconds of delay but bear with me)

• I can see a pattern looking at the graph and data I collected, after the original signal is played @0 ms , it is then sent to both sides of stereo field at...
the right stereo side with a delay of 217.408 ms or [ 0.688 x 316 ms (1/8th note) ] due to L/R ratio

the left stereo side of a delay of 316 ms or [ 1.688 x 316 ms ] due to L/R ratio then to...

• A feed backed of the original is then played again at the center at 40.7% of the volume @ 533.408 ms or [ [1.688 x 316 ms )] + 316 ms ) ] > then again to both sides of the stereo field at..
the right side with a delay of an added 217.408 ms to the feed backed signal , so it is heard at 750.816 ms

the left side with a delay of an added 316 ms ms to the feed backed signal , so it is heard at at 849.408 ms

• then the pattern repeats of my second point, with the feedback of the feed backed signal going through endlessly until it is inaudible

I tried to accurately describe it in words what I'm hearing ,and I tried my best !

I'm not sure if anyone here has the technical prowess to help me, but I'll definitely consider paypal them a token of my appreciation :D

I recommend playing the sound test on the actual website and pay close attention to where the one note is landing in the stereo field and when

Is the Soundcloud clip above the actual delay effect you're trying to recreate? I'm not sure what "the sound test on the actual website" means.

The delay in the clip can be done with a dual delay, L 316 ms, R 217 ms. Set feedback L>L and R>R to 0, L>R and R>L to 100%, adjust master feedback as needed.

As long as you use different L & R times you'll get the same type of repeat pattern (L R C or R L C) when you turn up only the cross-channel feedback amounts.

I don't think you are taking into account the cross feedback. The channels are probably being crossed over for every feedback repeat, so the signal path might actually look something like this:

L(source)...............L(tap).......R(echo1).......................L(echo2)........R(echo3).....
R(source).....R(tap)................L(echo1).....R(echo2)..........................L(echo3).....R(echo4)....and so on.

Edit: Bakerman just beat me to it.

Last edited:
Is the Soundcloud clip above the actual delay effect you're trying to recreate? I'm not sure what "the sound test on the actual website" means.

The delay in the clip can be done with a dual delay, L 316 ms, R 217 ms. Set feedback L>L and R>R to 0, L>R and R>L to 100%, adjust master feedback as needed.

As long as you use different L & R times you'll get the same type of repeat pattern (L R C or R L C) when you turn up only the cross-channel feedback amounts.

It's my first time linking sound cloud to these threads, and I wasn't hearing the initial "thump" from the very start of the clip playing through here on the thread, so yes it's the same clip , sorry for the confusion

Anyway MASSIVE thank you I tested it now and it sounds perfect! :D :D

I don't think you are taking into account the cross feedback. The channels are probably being crossed over for every feedback repeat, so the signal path might actually look something like this:

L(source)...............L(tap).......R(echo1).......................L(echo2)........R(echo3).....
R(source).....R(tap)................L(echo1).....R(echo2)..........................L(echo3).....R(echo4)....and so on.

Edit: Bakerman just beat me to it.

Yup I definitely disregarded it! , tested bakerman's setting's now and it sounds perfect

dual delay schematic.pngdual delay schematic 2.png

I just want to have a deeper understanding to this , I'm not sure how the signal path goes or what in the axe fx settings send's the signal to it's center at the 4'th audible note ?

The centered repeat is each delay repeating what the other one fed it. (L time + R time) = (R time + L time) so it's perceived as centered.

Adding some modulation will make those repeats not coincide exactly and sound more like separate L/R sources.

The centered repeat is each delay repeating what the other one fed it. (L time + R time) = (R time + L time) so it's perceived as centered.

Adding some modulation will make those repeats not coincide exactly and sound more like separate L/R sources.

I see , I appreciate it very much ! thanks again

Back
Top Bottom