Advanced Amp Parameters - My Go To Tweaks for High Gain

What I find important to mention is, that the location of the graphic eq defaults to "output", but amps, which have such an eq implemented (most famous example being the Mesa Mark series) have the eq placed previous to the power amp. The sound difference between the two options is very big! I find that the eq previous to the power amp sounds was better / more musically, because the power amp smooths those settings out, so e.g. added highs don't sound so harsh.

Yesterday I dialed up a 5153 Red Channel and changed the location of BMT to "Pre" and also used the graphic eq set to "Pre". Makes this amp sound awesome imho! What I want to say here: EQs are the mightiest tool!!!

for me adding CF comp to metal amps that have it default to zero such as 5150 or engl savage really adds some fullness and thickness to it without getting too bassy.

Interesting, where do you set it?

What I find important to mention is, that the location of the graphic eq defaults to "output", but amps, which have such an eq implemented (most famous example being the Mesa Mark series) have the eq placed previous to the power amp. The sound difference between the two options is very big! I find that the eq previous to the power amp sounds was better / more musically, because the power amp smooths those settings out, so e.g. added highs don't sound so harsh.

Yesterday I dialed up a 5153 Red Channel and changed the location of BMT to "Pre" and also used the graphic eq set to "Pre". Makes this amp sound awesome imho! What I want to say here: EQs are the mightiest tool!!!

Very cool., I'll definitely try that out too.

The negative feedback is a big one
If you like the Recto but want
To emulate say a Cobra or KSR
The compression in the pre
And The filtering in the power amp
is a big component

These are the parameters I go to when find tuning tones; what about everyone else? The Axe sounds so good sticking to the basic menu but I'm always looking for more ways to experiment with the amp block.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of how the different sections can work together or not, depending on your objectives.

Have you or anybody else experimented with the effects of output EQ section of the amp block vs one of the dedicated EQ blocks post cabinet? In a live situation, it seems to me that using one of the EQ blocks after the cabinet would be more precise for say, notching out your low mids to make more room for the kick drum in the stage sound.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "BMT"?

A bunch of great tips here! A couple things I hadn't tried yet like messing with supply sag and pushing 800 Hz with the input EQ. I use the output EQ a bunch as well as the cut switch. One thing I really like for the ENGL Savage models is changing Cathode Follower Compression to ~20%. It gives you a nice bit of hair and makes the amp feel a little more alive.

Personally, I think there needs to be a pinned thread that includes all of your great tutorials like yek's amp series. Thanks again!

Nice work as always Leon!

The bright cap value is a good one also to play with

When lowering the variac, it could be worth rebaising the power tubes. I believe I read something about how EVH would have his tubes biased at the variac voltage. I don't recall if I've actually tried this or not so may not be needed in the virtual axe world.

These are the parameters I go to when find tuning tones; what about everyone else? The Axe sounds so good sticking to the basic menu but I'm always looking for more ways to experiment with the amp block.

This video is great for Axe FX II users as well, since many of the parameters are also present on that model.

Leon, maybe I missed it, but did you say what guitar and pickups you're using in the video?

This video is great for Axe FX II users as well, since many of the parameters are also present on that model.

Leon, maybe I missed it, but did you say what guitar and pickups you're using in the video?

From memory this was my PRS SC245 from 2008 with the stock pickups.

Back
Top Bottom