Adobe Sucks

I have a couple of older Adobe products. I do not have subscriptions, I have the original CDs for legally purchased versions. I recently upgraded to a new computer and wanted to install these products. Turns out there have been updates to the products that occurred before the products were reissued as a subscription. The updates were previously available as free downloads on Adobe's web site. I went to the website to download the updates and received a message that these files are no longer available as the versions I own are no longer supported. I am not asking for support. I just want access to the upgrade files for the versions I paid for and own.

This is clearly an attempt to force me to purchase the new subscription version that I don’t need. I think this is simply wrong! If you sell a product you should keep the upgrade files available for circumstances like mine. I agree with you that they suck!
And THAT....is why Hackers Hack, and Crackers Crack............

MOSHON
DAVE

Reactions: jon
This is clearly an attempt to force me to purchase the new subscription version that I don’t need. I think this is simply wrong! If you sell a product you should keep the upgrade files available for circumstances like mine. I agree with you that they suck!
Corporations got no morals, and simply act in whatever way generates the most revenue - hence the need for regulations. If there were no regulations, corporations would not behave in any sort of conscientious way, and expensive corners will be cut, in favor of more expedient and cost-effective methods, with no thought or care to the consequences for people anywhere in the process or surrounding area. Corporations are like malignant narcissists....

Corporations got no morals, and simply act in whatever way generates the most revenue - hence the need for regulations. If there were no regulations, corporations would not behave in any sort of conscientious way, and expensive corners will be cut, in favor of more expedient and cost-effective methods, with no thought or care to the consequences for people anywhere in the process or surrounding area. Corporations are like malignant narcissists....

Hell, you need only look at the days before substantial labor laws, with child labor rampant, no worker protections, etc. That tells you exactly where we'd be with less regulation. You can also look at the 2008 housing crash, stemming from substantial deregulation of banking.

Hell, you need only look at the days before substantial labor laws, with child labor rampant, no worker protections, etc. That tells you exactly where we'd be with less regulation. You can also look at the 2008 housing crash, stemming from substantial deregulation of banking.
Yup. They don't have the capability of acting in anyone's but their own self-interest, and will FUBAR any and every thing that saves or earns them a penny regardless of the outcome for others....

I love so many companies and corporations (from LLCs to the global). They provided me with my home, the food my family eats each day, my clothing, the computer on which I am typing at this moment, my guitars, my drums, my bases, my keyboards, my Axe-FX, my car, the power tools in my garage, my landscaping, my turntable and tape decks, my studio monitors, my furniture, my bicycle, my vacuum cleaner, my HEPA filters, my smoke detectors, my television, my books, my phone.....almost each and every thing I see around me. Each generation of product improves as the free market drives innovation.

I'm happy to give them the fruits of my labor in exchange for the fruits of theirs. A mutually beneficial and completely voluntary transaction. Many, if not most, corporations are comprised of moral and conscientious people who's goals include a sense of purpose in addition to earning an income. Using the bad apples as all-encompassing examples is a straw man. Corruption is inherent in every system, and should never be tolerated under any circumstances. It also can occur in an organization of any size. But that is a separate issue.

As long as I am free to NOT do business with a particular corporation, I am content. When this is not the case is when I have a problem. And I'll elect to not do business with Adobe (a side benefit of loving DaVinci Resolve so much). The front-line employees obviously have poor training and have no motivation or job satisfaction. I'd recommend that they keep an eye out for a more fulfilling job. It takes work and is a risk, but the rewards can be life-changing.

Put away the pitchforks :).

The purpose of switching to subscription plans is not to increase revenue. At best, these kind of changes tend to be revenue neutral. The purpose is to smooth out the revenue stream. The feast or famine revenue stream that comes from paid updates makes it difficult to fund development. Everyone suffers when development can't proceed due to uneven income.

The appeal to the customer is that it allows you to start using the product without laying out a large sum up front. At $10 bucks a month for Photoshop, it's not that bad compared to paying $400 up front plus the cost of paid updates every couple of years. If you buy it once and sit on that version forever, you'll hit break even after a few years, but most people buy updates every so often.

Then there is Cliff. Sitting on the same version of Acrobat for over a decade, 5 years after support was discontinued for it, then asking Adobe for help installing it. That took some balls :).
Good post from someone who knows his business. The subscription model is a good one, if it is implemented well and the price and product are solid. I didn't like the subscription model, until I subscribed to STL AmpHub. Great price and product, with the option of buying outright. Can't say the same for Adobe. If they weren't the legacy industry standard, I'd have a hard time believing that they could compete today. Same with Pro Tools. Good software, but there are now too many other options.

“Our Board of Directors is focused on creating long-term value for Adobe stockholders.“
Can someone help me find any mention of a customer here?

It sound be the next sentence... "by delivering amazing products that delight and enhance the lives of our clients such that they become enthusiastic fans of our brand."

Bahaha

I'm lucky enough to get Adobe CC through school, however I run a 12 year old MacBook. Not exactly up to date, and I don't expect them to support something that old (it runs High Sierra which isn't that old, but I understand), however, I could not for the life of me find an old version that is supported.

Several years ago I remember there being a page where you could download any old version, then use the same credentials and it would all work, now I see they ONLY let you install the most up to date version, nothing older, and a chat with support confirmed this.

Pirated the software I needed (which I have a license for...) and it all works like a charm. Not the first time I've had to do this! (Looking at you Slate Digital and your requirement of a physical iLok to use a microphone I bought from you!!)

Reactions: jon
Hell, you need only look at the days before substantial labor laws, with child labor rampant,
Yep been there, I had a throw away paper route in the early 70's here in the bay area that I got fired from, (badge of honor) the inserts were f-n brutal... Now days those inserts come in first class us mail...

Everything wrong with corporate America in one sentence.
This and other comments of this thread is covered in hilarious fashion in the movie "Head Office". Stars include Father Guiddo Sarducci, Eddie Albert, Judge Reinhold, Danny DeVito, Jane Seymour, Wallace Shawn, Rick Moranis, Brian Doyle Murray and more! As heavy as "Network" IMO, but with lot's of laughs along the way. If you can't not find it and want to see it, PM me and I will try to point you to a solution!!
The purpose of switching to subscription plans is not to increase revenue. At best, these kind of changes tend to be revenue neutral. The purpose is to smooth out the revenue stream. The feast or famine revenue stream that comes from paid updates makes it difficult to fund development. Everyone suffers when development can't proceed due to uneven income.
One of the other "benefits" to corporations switching to subscription service based items is the company "value". When companies are being "valued" in the market (and for credit, etc.), part of the "value" is based on recurring revenues. You can tell a banker all you like that everyone is going to upgrade to the new version of Photoshop next year all that you like, but if you can show the banker "We have 7 million users who are paying us monthly regardless of whether we release a new version or not", well, that wins! You suddenly can get that loan you needed to build the new call center in India!!! A friend of mine, worth well into 7 figure territory with all kinds of assets was recently refused an increase in their credit card spending limit from $8k to $10k. They told her that she did not have any mortgages, and therefore did not fit the criteria of their credit limit increase protocols! F'in CRAZY!!! She also pays off her cards every month, so they make no interest on her which is the more likely reason for the refusal (though they still make money on every transaction with that card)! Like Dwight D. Eisenhower said on his way out of office "Beware of the military industrial complex!". He was right, but we can remove the military from that statement (or change it to multi-national) now when it come to what to be wary of!!!

As for the initial interaction in this thread, I had a similar one about 10 days ago. I was switching the hosting service for some of my websites (which I have done dozens of time for clients for decades), and I get this woman on the phone who was a total lost cause. Here is a basic summary:

CS: What can I help you with today?
Me: I would like to move a website over to my new hosting account. It is currently hosted at godaddy and my account there is still active. I don't need your help in moving it, I just need to know where I go in your control panel to set up a domain.
CS: What domain would you like to buy?
Me: OK, if you don't answer my next question with a logical and appropriate answer, I would like to talk to your supervisor.
CS: I am so sorry, let me put you on hold.
Me: FINE!
10 minute wait
CS: Click on the button labeled "Assign".

It should have been labeled "Add On Domain" or "Domain Setup", but it's not (and no pop up hint or help menus to try to figure it out). And she should have known this in tier one support when somebody calls about hosting. Anyway, it is what it is. I will be ending my Adobe subscription as soon as I can find the balls to cut the string on an array of products I have been using for decades (started with photoshop 2.0 in 1994 I believe, a friend upgraded to 3.0 and gave me his 2.0 disk - woo hoo)!

Ok Ted K/Unibomber … :tongueclosed:

And I’m not saying he was wrong in his manifest … however…

I spent my career as a hired gun to a lot of companies (private and public; across almost any industry you could name). As such I saw a lot of different cultures.

Corporations absolutely have their own values, cultures and flaws.

Some are better than others.

Most are not good neighbors, and almost none do anything the correct way unless forced by law or shamed by public opinion....
That’s the fault of all the MBA grads … quarter to quarter stock market return thinking. Has nothing to do with the organization of the corporation.

Management matters.

A good guiding principle: Long-term self interests are good for everybody.

We may have to just agree to disagree on this one. I often like/agree with many of your other posts! 👍

Last edited:
“Our Board of Directors is focused on creating long-term value for Adobe stockholders.“

And it's working. Damn sure it is!

We can be pissed all we want, but nearly every single one of us is in some
kind of compromised position with the current status quo. Heck, how many
of us are 'outraged" and "fed up" while we are also watching our investment
portfolios swell and grow with gleeful delight?

Our outrage is quelled with a short Internet rant, followed by a dose of mindless entertainment
from one of the million streaming apps to satiate our nerves as we doze off to sleep----just to
lather, rinse, and repeat the next day... and the day after that... and the day after that.

Back
Top Bottom