Adobe Sucks

Why should they let you get away with buying it once, when they can make you rent it and pay every year or whatever, forever?
Put away the pitchforks :).

The purpose of switching to subscription plans is not to increase revenue. At best, these kind of changes tend to be revenue neutral. The purpose is to smooth out the revenue stream. The feast or famine revenue stream that comes from paid updates makes it difficult to fund development. Everyone suffers when development can't proceed due to uneven income.

The appeal to the customer is that it allows you to start using the product without laying out a large sum up front. At $10 bucks a month for Photoshop, it's not that bad compared to paying $400 up front plus the cost of paid updates every couple of years. If you buy it once and sit on that version forever, you'll hit break even after a few years, but most people buy updates every so often.

Then there is Cliff. Sitting on the same version of Acrobat for over a decade, 5 years after support was discontinued for it, then asking Adobe for help installing it. That took some balls :).

Everything wrong with corporate America in one sentence.
Not just America, the majority of the world.... That's one of the reasons I love companies like Fractal Audio, support the companies that support their customer. I've been an owner since the original Axefx and amazing product aside, the values of the company are to put customers and their requirements first make it something real to support.

This pandemic has seen me change from supporting more local/independent business and now I know my local butcher, baker, veg store owner etc... The produce is better, the reward is there to be lived and the only cost is a small amount of time that I would have previously spent l, mindlessly scrolling Facebook looking at what people i don't really care about did that day or more increasingly staring at promoted posted wondering why I care about this tripe.

Anyway, happy new year. Love you 🥳

I’ve had similar assistance from those guys. I use Affinity now.

Same here. Works great and no hassles.

I've been looking at Affinity Photo to replace my version of Photoshop CS5 (yes, it's ancient, but I own it, still does what I need it to do, and there is no way on Earth that I'm going to go on the Adobe 'drip'....nor did I upgrade to the last version you could own outright which was CS6...they won't get any of my $$$$ ever again).

I hear great things about it, and the company.

How have you guys generally found Affinity's compatibility with opening/editing Photoshop files? I've read various reports but am interested in your thoughts/experiences here.

My wife has been using Affinity Photo on her iPad for years now and loves it. She transitioned from Photoshop on PC, and doesn't miss anything. I transitioned from Inkscape to Affinity Designer, and I f**king love it; it's made my life so much damn easier. I love people who don't try to give you bulls**t.

My wife has been using Affinity Photo on her iPad for years now and loves it. She transitioned from Photoshop on PC, and doesn't miss anything. I transitioned from Inkscape to Affinity Designer, and I f**king love it; it's made my life so much damn easier. I love people who don't try to give you bulls**t.
I can also recommend Pixelmator (over Photoshop) if you're on a Mac.

Lightroom was 10 bucks a month. That wasnt so bad. Then I subscribed to the whole bundle to get Premiere pro and check out the rest of the suite. Great program until I need to render, then it crashes my computer. Each and every time. Tech support blamed my computer. I dont know, Adobe for what it costs is kind of underwhelming me. Might go back to keeping just Lightroom again and finding another solution for video creation and editing.

I think I’m also dumping their stock. I cant be the only one disappointed in their product.

Look into Davinci Resolve (free version)... it's probably better than most anything out there for video editing; and, if you want to upgrade to the "Studio" version, you can actually buy it (and get a free controller), no subscription. The paid-for Studio version is yours with lifetime updates for about 300 bucks (inc. free controller at BH Photo).. But, the Free version is probably as good as, or better, than most paid for subscription video editing and manipulation software.

Really quite involved - designed for movie studios etc. ..But ..once you get your head around it.. very easy to use.

Best of Luck.. ..and ..Happy New Year! :0)

The subscription business model is one of the worst deals for humans.
Bring back owning stuff!
Oh…and Indian support centers… no thanks.

Thanks
Pauly
Even when you own Acrobat from time to time bit at least once a month it will block and you have to re-enter your account ID and licence nr.

No comment

Unfortunately, you could replace "Adobe" with almost any other big, dumb corporation and the experience would be exactly the same. Comcast, Verizon, banks, etc. Marketing slogans aside, they just don't care anymore.

And I really love it when you finally get an operator and they re-ask you for all the information you just thumb typed into the phone. :veryconfused::gun:

I used to own a physical copy of Photoshop 7. I had problems installing it when I moved to a Windows 7 box. They refused to help me troubleshoot or to sell me an upgrade to the last ownable license.

If I can't own software, then I refuse to rent it and look for a competing product. If a corporation cannot figure out how to budget their profits in order to afford funding a development cycle, then they do not deserve to continue existing due to Darwinian reasons.

From that point on, I moved to freeware Gimp and paidware NitroPDF for my former Adobe needs. I never had issues with either.

Regarding Cliff's call center experience, people need to understand the nature of call centers. The support department at a company gives the call center a script in order the handle calls with a decision tree. The rank and file at the call center are judged harshly if they deviate from that script, which usually is steered to encourage the customer to make a purchase of some upgrade in the shortest amount of time possible.

When a customer does not adhere to that script, the call center rank and file just keep repeating the last part of the script they recognize from the conversation in order to encourage the customer to get back on the decision tree that they can handle.

The only people authorized to go off script is a certain level of manager, so always ask to talk to their manager and keep escalating. Each time you are escalated, ask for the manager's Id number, they always have one.

Why is getting the id each time important? Some less than ethical call centers, especially in the Philippines and India, tend to transfer calls between agents of the same level rather than to management because their shift managers tend to not want to be bothered. Getting the ids are important for when you send an email to the company, noting the times and dates of your poor experiences forces the corporation and the call center to really address the issues and the corporation will usually give you something as an apology for the bad experience and helping them improve the call center in an actionable way.

Good call center managers will help you off script and get you a solution quickly. The reason why is they are judged by how quickly they can resolve an issue.

At least that's my experience with call centers both as a customer and as someone tasked with training them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom