Adjusting EQ on stage?

Leeg

Ok so when i adjust my eq on stage it wont save my adjustments. When i switch presets it never saves. I want to eq and set a solo boost volume. How do i get it to save those on fly?

How is doing this on stage different than any other time? Do you only use Axe-Edit at home and not front panel?

When saving from front panel, press Store and then press Enter twice to save to the same preset.

Normally isn’t a great idea to adjust the EQ from the stage as what your hearing is likely different than how the audience is going to hear things.

At the very least go out to in front of the PA and see how it sounds before adjusting anything, and remember in a band mix what sounds good and bad can be rather different than solo instrument sound check levels.

When I used to run sound I had more issues with guys adjusting their amp eq or levels as they didn’t like how they sounded on stage but then it ruined the mix and I’d have to try to undo it at the board, and usually someone else would turn up to offset the first guy turning up, and then it just snowballed.

Normally isn’t a great idea to adjust the EQ from the stage as what your hearing is likely different than how the audience is going to hear things.

At the very least go out to in front of the PA and see how it sounds before adjusting anything, and remember in a band mix what sounds good and bad can be rather different than solo instrument sound check levels.

When I used to run sound I had more issues with guys adjusting their amp eq or levels as they didn’t like how they sounded on stage but then it ruined the mix and I’d have to try to undo it at the board, and usually someone else would turn up to offset the first guy turning up, and then it just snowballed.
Thanks for the info. So its best if i dont eq stage sound? I always do it when i just run my amp rig. I dont use a monitor just my cab. Im running the axe through a head and cab then separate block to FOH. Thats the plan if decide to

Thanks for the info. So its best if i dont eq stage sound? I always do it when i just run my amp rig. I dont use a monitor just my cab. Im running the axe through a head and cab then separate block to FOH. Thats the plan if decide to
During sound check is the appropriate time to adjust things.

There are several EQ's you can adjust what one are you talking about? The global EQ is static never changes once set. Are you EQing the real amp and the AXE going to FOH? What exactly is the real amp and cabinet you're running? More details would be helpful.

By the sounds of it your talking about the amp block EQ or another block EQ, in that case no those don't save when you change presets they must me manually saved.

When your amp is miked up and placed into a FOH mix it no longer belongs to you as a primary source of stage sound. You're no longer in rehearsal where everyone adjusts their own instrument as part of an ad hoc band mix. You mess with your amp, you now mess with the FOH mix. And this always frustrates the FOH engineer to no end. It also separates the amateurs from the pros. Learn to play with a monitor instead, so you can adjust your stage volume without interfering with the FOH mix. When I still gigged with real amps I never had my amps close by me. I never had this need to 'feel' my sound, I wanted my amps to be as far away back on the stage as possible. Mostly for unwanted feedback reasons. It did taught me to rely on monitors for my stage sound and easily accept in-ears as the next stage.

I agree that it is a bad idea to adjust the house going to FOH! Leave those tweaks to the (hopefully) experienced sound guys, whose mission is to make the band sound great together, not just your guitar :)
I too hate monitor sound, as most monitors sounds like crap, and alway extremely different from venue to ventue. Is it possible to make the tweaks on the amp you use for stage sound? I use a Symour Duncan Powerstage 170 (can't recommen this thing enough) on stage, and simply use the eq on this to tweak the tage sound to my liking, and then the sound guys gets a constant signal, he can mess with all he wants.

Back
Top Bottom