Adding USB to the Axe-Fx.

There have been several threads about adding this feature to the magic box and the pros/cons of doing so. I'm personally against it and the article below will explain in more detail why.

Goodbye, USB: Intel to release Thunderbolt developer kits - Yahoo! News

Seems like using this instead of USB will do little more than leave a lot of users with a device they cannot connect to their computer without an additional accessory. Is the extra bandwidth really useful? IMO, USB will be around a while and is more than adequate for the job, even with audio to/from the Axe.

If the Axe were going to be an Audio interface one day then Thunderbolt may be something worth considering. Until then adding Thunderbolt would do little for the product. MIDI still needs to be there. USB is a nice to have.

Reactions: MNG
MIDI still needs to be there.
This is exactly the point I was trying to get across. NOT that Thunderbolt should be added, but that USB should be avoided because I have very little faith in it's longevity. There will always be data transfer converters no matter what the computer standard data transfer method might be, but one thing is for certain MIDI ain't going away any time soon.

Up to 10 Gigs per second is a lot of data but I'm with the camp that USB would be fine for what needs to done when it comes to transferring data from the Axe to a computer or vice versa.

USB is not going anywhere anytime soon. Heck, just look at how many MB's still include PS/2 ports and those probably should have gone away when USB was introduced. Too much uses USB for it to go away for many many years.

However, I do think that Thunderbolt is here to stay as well, mainly because it's all built on previously-existing technology (PCIe and DisplayPort) so there shouldn't be that big of a barrier to entry into the market by 3rd party peripheral manufacturers.

USB is going to take a LONG time to go away.. we just recently got USB 3.0. Look at how pervasive USB is.. EVERY modern computer, +iphones and other devices had some form of USB port.
Besides... even if USB was added to the magic box, the device is STILL MIDI controlled!! The REAL advantage to adding USB would be the potential direct audio capability.

Back
Top Bottom