Adding Cab "air" for some ZZ Top Sizzle

Gamedojo

Power User
I'm sure the proper way to capture the sizzle is with an IR capture at a relatively harsh angle, but I played with "air" a bit tonight and it gave me some of that odd Just Got Paid intro sizzle

Air Added to cabs:

NO Air Added to cabs

And The real ZZ Top:

Great playing and tone.
What amp?

The real ZZ Top clip has something additional going on still.
Not sure what it is-delay or reverb?

Plexi 100.

Yes, My clip isn't a copy of the sound, its just showing how "air" adds some cool stuff.

That is reverb probably from a natural mic bleed ALL over drums and stuff. Its sort of a reverb echo and is quite a difficult sound to replicate in the axe. Led Zeppelin recordings are heavy on that reverb effect.

Great playing and tone.
What amp?

The real ZZ Top clip has something additional going on still.
Not sure what it is-delay or reverb?

Plexi 100.

Yes, My clip isn't a copy of the sound, its just showing how "air" adds some cool stuff.

That is reverb probably from a natural mic bleed ALL over drums and stuff. Its sort of a reverb echo and is quite a difficult sound to replicate in the axe. Led Zeppelin recordings are heavy on that reverb effect.

Really like that, sounds "organic" for lack of a better word!!!

Don't forget to use a coin or something metal as a pick. That adds a lot to the sound. :)

I've used air a lot at the 5892-setting.. Can add cool things..

The real one illustrates the need for some presence in the upper end on yours, IMHO. Your tone has a blanket on it.

Plexi 100.

Agree on the Zep comment!

I think rooms mics are part of this sound. And of course the rooms / spaces used to make the original recordings :)

The real one illustrates the need for some presence in the upper end on yours, IMHO. Your tone has a blanket on it.

Yeah but Tyler is not trying to match the sound, only show us how the Air parameter can work on a tone. The ZZ Top clip is for reference of the natural air, not the tone.

The presence and treble are max on the amp and the bass i completely off. The only way to add more presence would be a sharper, more harsh IR capture which Isn't found in the cab pack 8.

The clip "and the real ZZ top" is from the terrible 1987 "six pack" Remix of the 6 first ZZ albums, and do not sound as the original recordings. All six albums were remixed and killed with digital reverb.... The original "Track Just got paid" have bone dry guitar and drums, and sounds to me a lot better than the remix.
The original mix from the LP recordings are now on the CD as well....
Tyler your tone is good, just that you just tried to replicate the "wrong" mix.... :)

I think it sounds awesome Tyler. Could you please post the patch on your website?

The presence and treble are max on the amp and the bass i completely off. The only way to add more presence would be a sharper, more harsh IR capture which Isn't found in the cab pack 8.

The clip "and the real ZZ top" is from the terrible 1987 "six pack" Remix of the 6 first ZZ albums, and do not sound as the original recordings. All six albums were remixed and killed with digital reverb.... The original "Track Just got paid" have bone dry guitar and drums, and sounds to me a lot better than the remix. The original mix from the LP recordings are now on the CD as well.... Tyler your tone is good, just that you just tried to replicate the "wrong" mix.... :)

Definitely agree with this. Those remixes really suck.

Love Billy Gibbons, Tres Hombres is a killer album. The guitar tones and playing on the whole album is sublime. Never translated live, a lot of guitar parts to each song beautifully executed. Plus they seemed to dumb it down live and concentrate on looking cool. Rio grande mud is excellent as well.
Good work Tyler!!

Last edited:
Love Billy Gibbons, Tres Hombres is a killer album. The guitar tones and playing on the whole album is sublime. Never translated live, a lot of guitar parts to each song beautifully executed. Plus they seemed to dumb it down live and concentrate on looking cool. Rio grande mud is excellent as well.
Good work Tyler!!

Those two records are imprinted on my dna :)

I didn't buy those records until 1975. That was such a watershed year for me listening to rock. Aerosmith Toys In The Attic, the first Ted Nugent record, the early ZZ Top stuff.

Curious Tyler,

What frequency and how much% do you typically use? I was twiddling with air last night (this thread inspired me to revisit) but I couldn't find a nice setting that would just add a little sizzle. I started off using around 20% and ended up with less than 5% with the frequency around 10000khz.

Back
Top Bottom