Adding an octave up - Like Micro POG pedal

On my old Axe-FX II, I was able to add an octave up using the Pitch block, like from my old pedal board's Micro POG pedal (although it was not nearly as nice a sound as the POG), and it was not great, but it was OK. I'm trying to do the same on my new Axe-FX III. I'm using the Pitch block, and it doesn't have the same types as the FX II. On my old one, I used a simple Harmony type, with the added tone 12 semi-tones up. That same "Type" is not available on the 3 (as far as I can see). The closest thing seems to be the Dual and Quad Harmonizers. (The"Octave Divider" type only adds DOWN octaves.) I can use the Dual Harmonizer Type to add an octave up, but it sounds NOTHING like a guitar string. Basically sounds like crap. Is anybody doing this successfully, as in - it actually sounds (somewhat) like a guitar string, and maybe a little like the old-school octave pedals (like the POG)??

Yeah, I did that, but the one remaining still sounds like crap. It's hard to believe with such a simple effect, FAS doesn't have a better one than I'm hearing. I'd ask why the heck they took away the simple harmony type, but it probably doesn't even matter at this point. I'm sure the thinking is you can always turn off what you don't need - I get that. But the quality of the harmony went WAY down (unless I'm missing something).

Can you show a screenshot of your pitch settings or upload a preset? I’m not sure what you’re going for so looking for anything set weird might be best for now.

Can you show a screenshot of your pitch settings or upload a preset? I’m not sure what you’re going for so looking for anything set weird might be best for now.
I got it to work a bit better using a "Shift" block rather than a "Harmony" block. Not perfect, but a lot better.

Here's a Pitch Shift block I use -there are 4 useful channels each have a diff approach/mix/sound/reason for life but maybe it will help?
I have this in series and I tend to adjust the Mix param as needed. I use the A channel the most - and keep the VOICE 2 down 20% or more.

Attachments

• POGgy_20200308_170224.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 42
Here's a Pitch Shift block I use -there are 4 useful channels each have a diff approach/mix/sound/reason for life but maybe it will help?
I have this in series and I tend to adjust the Mix param as needed. I use the A channel the most - and keep the VOICE 2 down 20% or more.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

This seems in the ballpark of my old POG. Rolling off a fair bit of high frequency content from the octave up signal makes it sounds less artificial.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 2.20.10 PM.png

One important thing to know about SHIFT vs. HARMONY:

Harmony can depend very much on your guitar being in tune!

I got it to work a bit better using a "Shift" block rather than a "Harmony" block. Not perfect, but a lot better.

I don't have a III but I guess shift is the same as fixed and harmony is the same as intel in the II? In the case of an octave up it shouldn't really matter which one you take because an octave is always in harmony so to say.

If you only want to use it for lead lines choose mono instead of poly.

Back
Top Bottom