adding a looper pedal - do i need a stereo pedal

I currently have an axe fx 2 but in next month am taking the leap to either the FM3 but most probably the axe fx III. I note that the routing options are different and more flexible on the Axe 3 but my query will hopefully be as applicable now on the unit i have as to the unit i intend to get.

I am also aware the looper on the axe 3 is a lot better than the looper on the axe 2 but i am looking for a loop pedal to record loops etc and one that has backing tracks/rhythm section etc

I am not a live player - just a home hobbyist.

i also use a pair of studio monitors exclusively - some of my current presets are in stereo and panned - some are not

my understanding is if i add a physical looper pedal at the end of my chain then unless i have a stereo looper then the axe signal chain when it goes back into the axe fx is then going to continue as a mono signal as goes back into the axe fx unit when it hits the output at the end of the chain. Is that correct or am i thinking of it too mechanically compared to what the axe fx 2/3 does with a chain on a software basis.

apologies in advance as even though technically i dont have an axe 3 yet i would like to be prepared for when i get one

If you're listening through stereo monitors, you'll get more fun out of a stereo looper for sure.

After your amp/cab blocks, you'll do a Out 3 (stereo to the looper) then it'll come back into In 3 (stereo from the looper) to Out 1 (your main output to whatever powers the monitors)

That way if you say record a loop on a clean chorusy setting, then overdub it with a big pingpong stereo delay, you'll keep the stereo imaging on both

If you plan to use the looper after stereo effects, get a stereo one. If you plan to put it before anything stereo (say in front of the amp) mono is fine... but I’d still go with stereo so you have more flexibility

Are you aware that the Axe-FX III’s looper abilities are quite sophisticated as it is? You might want to download the user manual, and check out the section on the looper – it works great, as is!

(Sorry, Sunshine W. – I just skimmed your post, and didn’t read it thoroughly enough.)

Last edited:
i am on the FM3 - i did not realise that the Axe fx 3 had a wait list

thanks everyone for the helpful replies

its quite lonely on the axe 2 forums now so will have to upgrade just to have someone to speak to ;)

i am on the FM3 - i did not realise that the Axe fx 3 had a wait list

thanks everyone for the helpful replies

its quite lonely on the axe 2 forums now so will have to upgrade just to have someone to speak to ;)
Yeah... I think there's been an Axe Fx III list for a couple months now.

Back
Top Bottom