Wish Add latching/momentary options for Effects, Scenes, and the Tuner

The "phrase" option converts a latching to a momentary after being held a certain amount of time.

That allows the same switch to be either latching or momentary depending on how it's used.
Exactly.

It's super convenient and intuitive to use. But hard to explain... until you use it.

The "phrase" option converts a latching to a momentary after being held a certain amount of time.

That allows the same switch to be either latching or momentary depending on how it's used.

I get the latching to momentary use.

So is it 3 different options? Phrasing a 3rd option?

I think simply the wish is the option to convert a latching to a momentary with a long press?

How do we go back to latching considering one is using momentary for a long phrase?

Last edited:
It's a latching switch except when you hold it, it temporarily turns into a momentary switch for that press only. As soon as you release, it goes back to being a latching switch.

It's a cool idea but you'd have to keep in mind that if you had hold function assigned to that switch, holding for momentary use would also fire the hold function. The same thing can happen with a momentary Control Switch. Momentary switch functions and hold functions cannot be used at the same time as they both rely on a hold timeout and there's no way to differentiate which function you want. As it works now, the hold function takes priority.

Last edited:
It's a latching switch except when you hold it, it temporarily turns into a momentary switch for that press only. As soon as you release, it goes back to being a latching switch.

It's a cool idea but you'd have to keep in mind that if you had hold function assigned to that switch, holding for momentary use would also fire the hold function. The same thing can happen with a momentary Control Switch. Momentary switch functions and hold functions cannot be used at the same time as they both rely on a hold timeout and there's no way to differentiate which function you want. As it works now, the hold function takes priority.

Okay, now we’re getting somewhere. 👍🏻

Those discrepancies I’m totally aware of …in which I was trying to subconsciously reconcile with the wish.

I do like the wish as you described it going back to latching after momentary 👍🏻

I don’t have my axe setup at the moment …

Does anyone know if I’m on say scene 1 and immediately holding another scene switch would activate the alternate or activate momentary? Or would I need to first switch to the desired scene switch then hold?

Okay, now we’re getting somewhere. 👍🏻

Those discrepancies I’m totally aware of …in which I was trying to subconsciously reconcile with the wish.

I do like the wish as you described it going back to latching after momentary 👍🏻

I don’t have my axe setup at the moment …

Does anyone know if I’m on say scene 1 and immediately holding another scene switch would activate the alternate or activate momentary? Or would I need to first switch to the desired scene switch then hold?
Assuming this were implemented, you would press the switch to change scenes and then keep it held (turning it into a phrase switch) until you wanted to return back to the scene you were previously on.

That being said, scenes (and presets) are different than effects and I'm not sure how feasible that would be or not. Since we have Last Scene, maybe it would be able to use the same core logic?

I wished for something similar some time ago for the Axe-FX III, and I’m 100% behind this! Momentary Scenes would be huge. I know this wish is for the FM3, but it’s equally helpful regardless of which current production Fractal modeler you’re using.

Consider this: a real world harmony, not one in which you’re playing diatonic thirds, but one in which you’re switching intervals according to harmonic context, à la some famous Metallica harmonies, in which the root and second are harmonized with a diatonic fourth (a fourth and augmented fourth, respectively), but the rest of the notes get a third above. Or one in which you switch between Aeolian and Harmonic minor for two sixteenth notes. Momentary Scenes would help immensely for that. I’ve created overly complicated workarounds to keep labeling clear, but Momentary Scenes would make it programming and layouts simple and clean.

Also consider a song like How Could I? by Cynic, in which one would switch between a high gain tone and clean very very quickly, in that case, three whole notes. A Momentary Clean Scene would make covering that song live simpler to program and to perform.

And of course, for those who want to add a an effect for just one lick in a solo, or as a call and answer to a vocalist, again, it makes it easy.

The biggest advantage over current Momentary Control Switching alone is a Scene that is Momentary would allow you to label your quick change on your Home Screen, to make it something you can recall on your Scene List instead of only a custom label on your FC Layout. The layout of your Preset OD instantly comprehensible to anyone, and easier to program.

This would also solve the problem of applying a Momentary operation to the switching of parameters that are not controllable via modifiers, like, e.g. Negative Feedback. For that, you’d need a Channel change. Okay, the easy way to change Channels momentarily would be with a Momentary Scene footswitch.

You can workaround most of the examples I’ve named here with existing tools; this would be largely for convenience. The idea behind Scenes is to make many Channel changes and Bypass states very easy and quick to program, so why not enhance that functionality further to allow one to trigger it only while depressing a footswitch!

To me, it’s huge.

Here’s my similar wish:

Thread 'FC Momentary Scene / Channel Toggle'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-momentary-scene-channel-toggle.165839/
Well... I've been asking for this since 2016, so I assume it's not gonna happen.

I built a MIDI controller that does all of this: latching/momentary/phrase switching that works with effects, scenes, and basically anything you can control with a Control Switch. But there are so many obstacles/bugs related to the MIDI/CS implementation and odd interface behavior that I just gave up. Technically, it all worked, but using CSs for everything introduced more problems that it was worth.

FAS has the best modeling, IMO, but it's sad that the HX Stomp is simpler to control and its MIDI implementation is more flexible in a lot of ways.

Well... I've been asking for this since 2016, so I assume it's not gonna happen.

I built a MIDI controller that does all of this: latching/momentary/phrase switching that works with effects, scenes, and basically anything you can control with a Control Switch. But there are so many obstacles/bugs related to the MIDI/CS implementation and odd interface behavior that I just gave up. Technically, it all worked, but using CSs for everything introduced more problems that it was worth.

FAS has the best modeling, IMO, but it's sad that the HX Stomp is simpler to control and its MIDI implementation is more flexible in a lot of ways.

I do think having robust MIDI 2.0 (allowing 14-bit MIDI), with with all Fractal units and foot controllers would allow for all the control requests I've read. I think the FAS Link controls are great in many ways, but they do not cover everything a player may wish to implement.

I do think having robust MIDI 2.0 (allowing 14-bit MIDI), with with all Fractal units and foot controllers would allow for all the control requests I've read. I think the FAS Link controls are great in many ways, but they do not cover everything a player may wish to implement.
+1. To use FM9 and FX3 together, MIDI is a must. Would be incredibly wonderful to have 2.0 and 14b resolution on CCs.... :) ❤️

Back
Top Bottom