Wish Add a "Recommended" cabs section in the cab selector.

Casimir

Inspired
To make searching for cabs easier, it might be nice to have a recommended cabs section that recommends commonly used cabs for the selected amp type. This would not have to be an AI engine, just more of a common sense 10ish cabs hand-picked that pair well with each amp.

This would be nice. It could be for example a filter option so you can just set the cab list filter to "Recommended".

The programming for this is relatively simple, you just add a list of tags to each factory cab where tags can be e.g IDs of amp models so the system could reference amp model of currently active channel and then offer a list of recommended IRs for that model. The only complicated part is when you have two amp blocks as it would have to infer which amp block(s) are connected to the cab block.

The real chore is compiling the recommended list in the first place but just offering a couple of cabs and their mic options would be enough to get people started. Could reference something like Austin Buddy presets for this.

Agreed with all the above. Dual amp setups would be tricky. I have an FM3 so I didn't think about that haha. Also agreed that it would be a huge chore. It would be almost 3,000 cabs to hand pick.

I think a lot of people use the factory preset cab as a starting point, so you could certainly consider it a recommendation.

Wouldnt this belong in axe edit?
Haha see my thread here about that exact issue.

OP: +1000

I have a few IRs I like for my main Mesa amps (usually third party Mesa IRs) but when I go to pick a ODS, for instance, I have ZERO idea what cab should go with it. Probably the reason I've never tried any of the Marshall amps, Fender amps, and the myriad other amps that are not Mesa; I have NO idea where to even start with IRs.

I have begged for this feature since (my) day one with the Axe Fx.

+1x10^1000

Haha see my thread here about that exact issue.

OP: +1000

I have a few IRs I like for my main Mesa amps (usually third party Mesa IRs) but when I go to pick a ODS, for instance, I have ZERO idea what cab should go with it. Probably the reason I've never tried any of the Marshall amps, Fender amps, and the myriad other amps that are not Mesa; I have NO idea where to even start with IRs.

I have begged for this feature since (my) day one with the Axe Fx.

+1x10^1000
You havent tried any of the factory presets for those brands?

You havent tried any of the factory presets for those brands?
I have; but when building a new preset, you can't flip to a preset to check stuff out real quick. Well, you can, but you'd have to save first and you might as well just Google it. I think the Wish is more about it just being at your fingertips right away so no research - either online or on the machine itself - would be necessary.

Also check the wiki. Typical cabs are sometimes given there.
Here again, though; no one's saying the information isn't available somewhere, the wish is that it's immediately available/displayed on the unit itself based on which amp you're using. I think the best way would be to tag the IRs so if you're using an ODS, when you go to cab picker, you type ODS in the search field and all the cabs that would normally "come with" the ODS pop up so you can start there. As it sits, I think a vast majority of us don't really know what a given amp/cab/speaker should sound like since we've likely never played through it in real life and it's never been paired well in a modeler.

It's cool being able to assign anything with anything, but it's a bit like having the greatest oil paints, easels, brushes, and canvases in the world and we've only ever heard someone once say how say how awesome art is; having never seen any ourselves nor learned any style or technique. (the metaphor breaks down obviously, because I'm sure some world-famous art has actually been created like this lol).

I wouldn’t mind just knowing which cab would come with the amp if I bought it from a shop. Probably more relevant for combos I guess.

I wouldn’t mind just knowing which cab would come with the amp if I bought it from a shop. Probably more relevant for combos I guess.
That's a good idea. Maybe a "?" tooltip/checkbox that you can look at that says "The combo version of this amp is typically a 1x12" cabinet loaded with a Celestion creamback; the head version is usually paired with the 4x12" oversized cabinet loaded with greenbacks; maybe try factory 1 cabs #134-137 & factory 2 cabs #234, #455, and #600-612."

Even if it just said the part in orange, that would be helpful, though the actual cab suggestions would be great.

That's a good idea. Maybe a "?" tooltip/checkbox that you can look at that says "The combo version of this amp is typically a 1x12" cabinet loaded with a Celestion creamback; the head version is usually paired with the 4x12" oversized cabinet loaded with greenbacks; maybe try factory 1 cabs #134-137 & factory 2 cabs #234, #455, and #600-612."

Even if it just said the part in orange, that would be helpful, though the actual cab suggestions would be great.
I'm guessing you're running a browser in dark mode? Your orange colored text is very hard to read in light mode :)

Oh lawd; does anyone use it in light mode? Everything on every device I own is in dark mode :D
At least one! For some reason I don't get along with dark mode... And I'm a crusty IT guy so go figure who came from black terminal screens with green or amber text and uses amber on black all day while working on Linux.

Back
Top Bottom