Adam Jones (Tool)

kevrock

Experienced
Anyone get close to his tone with the ax8?
Since we can't dual amp it in using a vh4 sim and asem ir close but not quite there

anyone????
i have the same problem:)
i can easily dial the settings with my bf-2 flanger but for some reason i haven't get it right with my ax8 :(
probably is because with the ax8 you have just 3 parameters and the bf-2 have 4 knobs.
any suggestions????

anyone????
i have the same problem:)
i can easily dial the settings with my bf-2 flanger but for some reason i haven't get it right with my ax8 :(
probably is because with the ax8 you have just 3 parameters and the bf-2 have 4 knobs.
any suggestions????
Just 3 parameters? Pretty sure there's more parameters in the AX8 than 3. I'm not by my AX8 at the moment, but IIRC all the parameters on the bf-2 should also be in the AX8.

The bf-2 has a manual knob, a depth knob, a rate knob and a res knob. All of these should be in the AX8, but "res" is called feedback. Different name, but should be the same thing.

Reactions: Rex
Adam blends a Marshall Super Bass and a VH4 Blue (Ch 3). I’d suggest trying a good hot rodded plexi like the HBE or maybe one of the Fractal models.

During his VIP demo/clinic thing a couple years ago, his setup was just his main LP Custom through the VH4 (again, on channel 3). And he definitely sounded like himself. So that should be a solid option as well.

Adam blends a Marshall Super Bass and a VH4 Blue (Ch 3). I’d suggest trying a good hot rodded plexi like the HBE or maybe one of the Fractal models.

During his VIP demo/clinic thing a couple years ago, his setup was just his main LP Custom through the VH4 (again, on channel 3). And he definitely sounded like himself. So that should be a solid option as well.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am such a noob with this new AX8 would you be willing to make a vid or some kind of tutorial for me to make this tone?

Thanks.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am such a noob with this new AX8 would you be willing to make a vid or some kind of tutorial for me to make this tone?

Thanks.

Well, I have neither an AX8 or Axe FX anymore so I can’t offer that kind of help, but I’d think there would be something in the Axechange?

Outside of that, if you’re wanting a tutorial on building your own patch, you could use some of the more generalized ones (cooper carter’s get great reviews @ccroyalsenders), and then just use this video to build your patch by ear.

That should get you in the ballpark. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

This rig video might help get closer as well.

And this pic is from the VIP event a few years ago.

C0888C98-F73E-478A-98AD-8EDDAA27F1BB.jpeg

Last edited:

What would you suggest for a cab?

Very new to the fractal world, just got my ax8 a few weeks ago. Would love to hear some patches people have for his setup. The ones in the exchange had tone match blocks that wouldn't work.

If you want to try the exact replica of his tone, use the 1959SLP and have the bright switch off.

"On the Superlead (1959) model, a 5000pf bright cap was introduced, giving a brighter and more aggressive tone. With the exception of the bright cap, the bass model (1992) used the same circuit as the lead amp – something that was also the case earlier with 100W, 50W and JTM45 amps."

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but if Adam's Superbass was modded to Superlead specs, wouldn't you keep the bright switch on?

Back
Top Bottom