Adam Audio A7X or Yamaha HS8’s

I have the Yamaha’s and they sound good in certain areas, lacks in others using the Austin Buddy live gold Presets. Are the Adam’s going to be a huge difference in sound? Not doing too much mixing at the monent, just bedroom chugging. Or for that price should I just get 2 Friedman’s and call it a day?

I don't know nothing about the Yahama's, but I'm extremely satisfied by the Adam A7. (I don't have the A7X but the earlier model)

I play only in my room of rock and couldn’t be happier with the used A7Xs I bought on this forum. But I can’t help with the comparison.

Maybe I had a blown tweeter or something, but in my opinion it was like playing a Fender mustang, then getting a Soldano. Maybe, that’s not the most fair comparison, and I very well could’ve had an issue since I bought the Yamaha’s second hand, but every amp that used to sound muddy, now sound like I’m plugging them in directly to the amp.

Big shot out for @austinbuddy though for creating such great presets that make them sound that good.

My fear with getting Adams is that they might accentuate certain frequencies and not be really flat response. The Yamahas I’d describe as good value and competent. They sound decent on full range music, not just guitar.

Maybe it’s my tinnitus but the Yamahas are harsh to me. I get fatigued quickly with them. I’ve also used Adams for years so I’m more familiar with em. The AB presets all translate well on the Adams.

I have both. I used HS8's for about 5 years then just picked up a pair of A7X about a month ago. They are both fantastic monitors, but I really prefer the high end of the A7X. It just seems like everything is much clearer to my ears. Of course they cost twice as much... You really can't go wrong with either, it all depends on your budget. If you are looking for an upgrade, I just did exactly what you are contemplating and I can say I have zero regrets.

Edit: Oops, just saw you already picked them up. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Because of the absurdly extended high frequency range of the A7X there is so much detail to the high end that it just seems like a no brainer....

Because of the absurdly extended high frequency range of the A7X there is so much detail to the high end that it just seems like a no brainer....
Meaning the A7X are far superior to the HS8? The HS8 just sound muddy to me. I think someone else described it well as "boxy" sounding too.

Haven’t heard or tried the A7X or the HS8… I have the A8X and love em… I knew I wanted that extra depth for some chugga chugga .. no ragrets

How do you guys run the A7X? Are you sending max volume out of the modeler and leaving the monitors at 0 dB?

The A7X do sound more clear and less boxy than the HS8 but I feel like my palm muted chugs may be pushing the woofers. Trying to make sure I have the right gain staging and/or maybe need to drop the low shelf a few dB.

How do you guys run the A7X? Are you sending max volume out of the modeler and leaving the monitors at 0 dB?

The A7X do sound more clear and less boxy than the HS8 but I feel like my palm muted chugs may be pushing the woofers. Trying to make sure I have the right gain staging and/or maybe need to drop the low shelf a few dB.
I leave my A7X monitors at 0dB. As for your palm muted chugs sounding woofy... that could be a number of things. Simply dialing back the bass in your amp settings could help. You can use Output EQ on the Amp block to bring down some of the low frequencies as well. But it could also be the amp itself, or don't forget the IR you are using. There's so many other possible ways to rectify this, and others might have better advice than I do. As for that chuggy palm muted sound, when I'm going for that tone I have a tendency to stick with Leon Todd's IRs... there's one floating around I like called 'LeonTodd V30-GB Mix NA'. Leon also has one on Axe-Change called 'LT TV Mix 7' that I find works great for high gain and chug. Quite often when I find a preset that I like a lot but sounds too dark, I just plop in Leon's IR and it becomes completely usable to me. On that note, thanks so much for these IRs @2112 - it has made a world of difference for me and my quest for tone. :)

Also, @GuitarGuy316 - if you post the preset you are having issues with, I'd be happy to try it out here to see what I think. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to provide my thoughts. Like always though, preference in tone can be completely subjective. :)

I leave my A7X monitors at 0dB. As for your palm muted chugs sounding woofy... that could be a number of things. Simply dialing back the bass in your amp settings could help. You can use Output EQ on the Amp block to bring down some of the low frequencies as well. But it could also be the amp itself, or don't forget the IR you are using. There's so many other possible ways to rectify this, and others might have better advice than I do. As for that chuggy palm muted sound, when I'm going for that tone I have a tendency to stick with Leon Todd's IRs... there's one floating around I like called 'LeonTodd V30-GB Mix NA'. Leon also has one on Axe-Change called 'LT TV Mix 7' that I find works great for high gain and chug. Quite often when I find a preset that I like a lot but sounds too dark, I just plop in Leon's IR and it becomes completely usable to me. On that note, thanks so much for these IRs @2112 - it has made a world of difference for me and my quest for tone. :)

Also, @GuitarGuy316 - if you post the preset you are having issues with, I'd be happy to try it out here to see what I think. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to provide my thoughts. Like always though, preference in tone can be completely subjective. :)
I haven’t had much time today but quickly tried to dial down the bass and it’s not the bass that’s woofy. Something else. Maybe it’s the cab IRs because I also tried a low cut at 80-100hz and it removes some low end but not the woofy. It’s almost like the 7” speaker is being pushed too hard but it’s not that loud.

I haven’t had much time today but quickly tried to dial down the bass and it’s not the bass that’s woofy. Something else. Maybe it’s the cab IRs because I also tried a low cut at 80-100hz and it removes some low end but not the woofy. It’s almost like the 7” speaker is being pushed too hard but it’s not that loud.
I had that issue with a few presets, I think I brought the gain down a bit to help. You have me curious though, if you'd like to share the preset you are working with I could always try it out on my end.

Back
Top Bottom