Adam A7X vs Neumann kh120

I think this issue has less to do with monitoring and more to do with brain function. I sometimes have this problem, and I sometimes find that it is simply because I am focusing more on my playing than on listening.

For me, it isn't a brain thing at all. Even if it's someone else in the room at the same time, I can still hear the natural guitar.
As soon as the person is playing in another room with headphones, the live and the recorded tones are identical. As soon as they step back into the room, it's off again.

Basically, with the guitar in the room (even worse against my own body), I adjust the sound to make that sound good. As soon as I hit playback, without the natural guitar, it sounds bad.

Doing it oneself, reamping to set ones tones seems like the best solution to me.
I guess the recording, playback, and adjusting that way works too...

Anyhow, setting the guitar tones with the guitar in the room almost always yields small, scratchy, icky guitar tones... especially anything close to high gain.

When you set your recorded tones, do you do it while playing the guitar and just record that, or do you record and the reamp, adjusting the patches then?

I'm just curious. At least with the KRK's, I sometimes have difficulty with creating patches when a guitar is vibrating against my body or the natural sound of the guitar is live, in the same room at the same time.

Also, what music style do you usually work on? Thanks.

To overcome the sound of the live guitar, use headphones or turn the monitors up.
I took a while for me to think about how i do reamping. I have been using analog out to DAW (stereo), along with direct to DAW (stereo) via AFXII SPDIF for later re-amping option. The presets sound so good that I'm hoping i won't need to reamp a whole lot. i thought i would do a lot more reamping. If I haven't found the perfect preset or tone for a part, but i want to get on with tracking the part, then i'll record a direct track.

Hey Pauly, any chance of hooking another aus brother up?

I am also torn between the two, the KH120s are about $200 or so cheaper in aus strangely enough.

Back
Top Bottom