Adam A7X/sound question

Marduk33

I like them alot, playing music through them is fine.
But when i play guitar and for example playing the 2nd fret on A string and put my palm on and close to the bridge i get an increasing woofy(?)/bassy sound for a second or two (even at low volume) before it decreases just as long and disappears. Lowering bass in preset didnt make it go away.

Is that because the room is untreated? Is it a reflection? Can i fix it until i have the room treated somehow?
Think its both thick string since it sounds worse when i tuned down to C. Thinner strings sounds fine and awsome.
Living room is 15m2.
Speakers is against the wall.

Soundknowledge, treat me like a total beginner.

Room

Attachments

• 1638677442081132712537017578006.jpg
    1638677442081132712537017578006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 16386774862744496217265395595054.jpg
    16386774862744496217265395595054.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Yes it would definitely help to have your room treated , specifically using bass traps in the corner

Since you’re playing a B2 = 123.47 Hertz , you could be experiencing Room Resonance which typically is in the 20-200 Hertz region

Your room could be or just so happens have that resonance around 123~ Hertz and amplifying that note you’re playing

Heres a fun experiment to do in your room , go online find a sine wave generator and sweep through and play the lower frequencies to find your room resonance , you should hear it getting louder as you go near/at the frequency

I like them alot, playing music through them is fine.
But when i play guitar and for example playing the 2nd fret on A string and put my palm on and close to the bridge i get an increasing woofy(?)/bassy sound for a second or two (even at low volume) before it decreases just as long and disappears. Lowering bass in preset didnt make it go away.

Is that because the room is untreated? Is it a reflection? Can i fix it until i have the room treated somehow?
Think its both thick string since it sounds worse when i tuned down to C. Thinner strings sounds fine and awsome.
Living room is 15m2.
Speakers is against the wall.

Soundknowledge, treat me like a total beginner.
I also have and use the AX7s, and have never experienced this issue. I’m sure that @ApocalypticKatana is right on target. Best of luck.

some tips i'd try before spending a ton of money on bass traps

• move speakers out from the wall
  • position speakers at ear level
  • aim speakers at where you're sitting
  • speakers should form an equilateral triangle between where you're sitting.
  • decouple the speakers from your desk (auralex pads, speaker stands, or something like that)
  • move desk out of corner of room

Last edited:
test by using headphones. if the issue goes away, then you know it's not the preset. looking at your room and how close your speakers are to the wall and where they're placed, i would say it's your room. first thing you should do is place the desk in the right spot. you want to be on a short wall, a little distance away. put your sofa up the other end to act as an absorber. then put some absorption (wall panels) at the first reflection points. also get a rug for the floor and some bass traps for the corners. get the speakers off the desk on floor stands (best solution) or on some bricks + mouse mats for the cheap solution if you need to keep them on the desk. there's loads of info online about this stuff, from planning your room layout to making cheap absorbers.

Heres the sine wave generator link , preferably use those A7X’s to get the rooms air moving

Side note make sure no one will get annoyed by doing this experiment

How does it work? Do i play it on my phone and walk around?

some tips i'd try before spending a ton of money on bass traps

Thank you ill experiment some.

test by using headphones. if the issue goes

I just tried with headphones i borrowed from a friend thats suited to plug into amps, i still had the same boomy issue!

I tested some more and in standard tuning its the 1-3 frets on A-string that is the most unbearable! Low E not as much (first few frets)
D-string fret 5 as bad as A-string, fret 6-7 as low E.
It was when palm muting.
Letting them ring w/o palm mute sounds much better. Also hitting those notes w/ palm mute in succession lower the effect.

Hmm. If i turn volume down to min on guitar and set a7x speakers to 3'oclock (have them on 0db/12clock usually)
Problem is bearable but its sounds crap instead.

This preset is 0082 petrucci scene 1/4/5 for reference.
Guitar ibanez RG421ex brand new, cant test a different guitar atm.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 180949.jpg

I ran White Noise through "0082 petrucci scene 1" and Got similar results with Scenes 4/5 and it looks like it does add to around the 130 Hertz frequency range ( A/5th String at 1-2-3 frets ) so I can say it's the preset adding to what you're hearing (Ignore the In 3 block it's doing nothing)

Never mind the headphones (which can also color the sound) add/subtract bass to treble frequencies to what you're hearing and if playing through studio monitors (which can also add color tone to your sound on it's own) and on top of room resonance you got a recipe for bass overload

to support my statements..

I found a frequency response curve from https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-...d-calibration-5-speakers-in-a-bedroom-studio/ which had a frequency response graph of your monitor, the Adam A7X's SW_C1_Frequency_response_before.png

You can see the Adam A7X's (Darker Orange line ) has a bump around 130 Hz further adding to those frequencies that you're playing/hearing ( 5th string @ 1-3 fret )

So in all ,

Guitar Pickup (maybe adding to those lower frequencies aswell) + Preset (adding ~130 Hz as shown above) + Monitors (shown at this graph) + Room Resonance ( I can't go into your room and test but generally around 20-200 Hz ) = what you're hearing/experiencing

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with information , you said treat you like a newbie

I found a frequency response curve from https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-...d-calibration-5-speakers-in-a-bedroom-studio/ which had a frequency response graph of your monitor, the Adam A7X's View attachment 92524

You can see the Adam A7X's (Darker Orange line ) has a bump around 130 Hz further adding to those frequencies that you're playing/hearing ( 5th string @ 1-3 fret )

So in all ,

Guitar Pickup (maybe adding to those lower frequencies aswell) + Preset (adding ~130 Hz as shown above) + Monitors (shown at this graph) + Room Resonance ( I can't go into your room and test but generally around 20-200 Hz ) = what you're hearing/experiencing

Well call me impressed, thanks for that thorough examination!

Haha yea i might not understand everything but i understand the point i guess. Too much low frequencies at work at the same time?

I was going to maybe get dimarzio tone zone or seymour duncan pickups wonder if that will make the matter worse..

Is there an immediate solution until i fix acoustics/bass traps? Except redecorate the room.
When sitting in sofa it doesnt boom as heavy.

It seems all high gain presets is making this issue, too bad i want to chug and play metal.

But that the same hum/boom is surfacing with headphones is making me confused.
Maybe the pickups as you said.

Edit: have Quantum Humbuckers stock pickups, cant find any about their frequency

Last edited:
Yes alot of factors are at play in how you perceive the sound basically , I just gave you a general layout of it

Pickups are a major part of the tone , but again its only one part of the equation and before all this ….your playing style affects the sound also

But since you like to chug and play metal and want to control the low end I highly reccommend watching this video tutorial and watch his other Axe Fx tutorials

What model are your headphones ?

adding all the information I said in this thread along with simeon and sixtystring , you should be able to identify/isolate the problem and fix it by following the instructions

One last thing where the speakers are setup/placed in a room is important but where you are listening relative to the speakers is also important (just position/move yourself left, right , forwards and backwards and you’ll hear the sound change , by that I mean how you perceive the bass/middle/treble frequencies you hear )

Heres a great guide to speaker placement
https://uturnaudio.com/pages/speaker-placement

Last edited:
Yes alot of factors are at play in how you perceive the sound basically , I just gave you a general layout of it

Pickups are a major part of the tone , but again its only one part of the equation and before all this ….your playing style affects the sound also

But since you like to chug and play metal and want to control the low end I highly reccommend watching this video tutorial and watch his other Axe Fx tutorials

What model are your headphones ?

Im a beginner in playing guitar too ill add so theres much improvement there to be made. Ill have a look on that clip and his other videos!

AKG-72, i did a quick google and found on their site:
"K72 headphones represents massive extended lowfrequency feedback that highlights bassdrums and bassguitars."

Its self-translated but well look at that, makes sense then i guess.

You have been veeery helpful, i will follow your advice! Ill start with getting longer XLR cables and stands for the A7X.

I found a frequency response curve from https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-...d-calibration-5-speakers-in-a-bedroom-studio/ which had a frequency response graph of your monitor, the Adam A7X's View attachment 92524

So in all ,

To OP try to get room calibrated, acoustic treatment if you ca do thats great but if you cant, get something like a sonarworks (for speakers/headphones) and use it to calibrate and play, to get a flatter response.

Even without sonarworks, acoustic treatment you can get it to sound better on axe by trying to setting an opposite parametric curve(to the one posted by apocalyptic above) for the 70-300 hz region by cutting out the frequency in a similar magnitude until it sounds like how its normally supposed to and bumping the high treble by a tiny bit in the set up page on your desired output eq. This will only affect the sound you hear and not anything recorded usb audio.

Last edited:
To OP try to get room calibrated, acoustic treatment if you ca do thats great but if you cant, get something like a sonarworks (for speakers/headphones) and use it to calibrate and play, to get a flatter response.

Even without sonarworks, acoustic treatment you can get it to sound better on axe by trying to setting an opposite parametric curve(to the one posted by apocalyptic above) for the 70-300 hz region by cutting out the frequency in a similar magnitude until it sounds like how its normally supposed to and bumping the high treble by a tiny bit in the set up page on your desired output eq. This will only affect the sound you hear and not anything recorded usb audio.

Its a little too advanced for me atm with sonarworks (googled it) and acoustics so im gonna try the "easy fixes" first and see where it lands.

Have alot of reading to do on acoustics and room calibration, but thats probably good. Since i might move to a new home before i get to that point where ill set them up. Thanks for the configurarion tips, seems like thats what Leon is doing in those youtube clips.

Thanks for the configurarion tips, seems like thats what Leon is doing in those youtube clips.
idk which video you are referring to, but what i suggested was to open axe edit go to setup turn on output 1 eq as parametric or graphic, then go to output 1 eq page in setup and tweak the slider /knobs until it sounds good in your current room. by cutting off the boomy freqs, to enjoy more without affecting recording signal (this effect is like tweaking the signal going to monitors without any 3rd party software so in essence like the monitors themselves )

sonarworks(what i have been using lately apart from output global eq's) is simple enough and handy tool in the daw to monitor your guitar signal and hear it with different complex curves based on your room/headphone, do take a look at it eventually.

goodluck

Last edited:
idk which video you are referring to, but what i suggested was to open axe edit go to setup turn on output 1 eq as parametric or graphic, then go to output 1 eq page in setup and tweak the slider /knobs until it sounds good in your current room. by cutting off the boomy freqs, to enjoy more without affecting recording signal (this effect is like tweaking the signal going to monitors without any 3rd party software so in essence like the monitors themselves )

sonarworks(what i have been using lately apart from output global eq's) is simple enough and handy tool in the daw to monitor your guitar signal and hear it with different complex curves based on your room/headphone, do take a look at it eventually.

goodluck

I tried now it got more manageable at least, at the cost of tone though, not sure i did it correctly however but ill have to play around for 2 days until i get my monitor stands and longer cables.

Edit: as the image is shown, e- and d-string is fine now, a-string is a little more bearable. Re-reading apocalyptica's and your post made some things clearer now also

Attachments

• 1638832449302183822777005526762.jpg
    1638832449302183822777005526762.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I tried now it got more manageable at least, at the cost of tone though, not sure i did it correctly however but ill have to play around for 2 days until i get my monitor stands and longer cables.

Edit: as the image is shown, e- and d-string is fine now, a-string is a little more bearable. Re-reading apocalyptica's and your post made some things clearer now also
Goodd. But You only wanna lower upto 300 at max and not necessarily so aggressively. You are looking to cut the excessively builded up bass and low mid boom thats it. Seeing the graph apolytpic posted for your monitor sound .
You have taken out the bass and low mids by a long mile is why you feel it is costing you tone. You dont wanna change how your guitar soudns the motive of doing this is accurately nail down the annoying frequencies in your room, making stuff unplayable for you.

Also try creating a new similar preset from scratch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom